View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
pawndog - Queen vs Rook pawn on 7th [6:49] 
Video Manager

Post pawndog - Queen vs Rook pawn on 7th [6:49]
Poster: pawndog
Videos Made: 1
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.33 (3)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 am
Rook

Post Re: pawndog - Queen vs Rook pawn on 7th [6:49]
Nice video, but it requires that we find out for ourselves why the position is drawn if the king is outside the critical area. I did not know about this, though, so I definitely learned something, thank you.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:40 am

In the video I said check could be made from e5. That should be d4, of course.
Also, another point about the weakness of the pawn: Should the black K bolt for the center of the board, and we allowed it, it would be necessary to capture the pawn. The pawn's (and subsequent Q) weakness comes from its nearness to the K (lack of space). If we allow the pawn to queen with the K in the center file ("hey, didn't the video guy say the queen was useless??") we'd have a problem. So it's best to "close the noose" around black, keep him in the corner and collect the win. Sheesh, I left out some major stuff in the video.

Bullrock, thanks. Yes, you should find out for yourself why white cannot win with his K beyond the winning squares. Practice the win position by placing the K on each of the boundary squares for both sides.

Its my first video. I'll try to be more informative next time.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:25 am
Knight

Rating: 2311 USCF
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Would have helped to show how White wins when his King is on e1, e2, or e3. In that case you can't get your King to the b4 square and the win is different. In those cases, you let Black queen and you mate his King on b1 with your queen on c2 and your King protecting your queen from d1, d2, or d3.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]