View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
brucewallace2 - KB v Tacto Analysis [25:52] 
Video Manager

Post brucewallace2 - KB v Tacto Analysis [25:52]
Poster: brucewallace2
Videos Made: 54
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 2.80 (5)

Video Tags: Dundee Wallace Chess

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm
Probation

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: brucewallace2 - KB v Tacto Analysis [25:52]
It's true that most players would benefit more from watching Chessvideos.tv videos than ICC's videos.

About the advance variation..... thats my favourite opening of everything. Used to be my least favourite. But a LOT of ppl play it so you quickly get used to it actually. I love the pressure I get on whites advanced pawns...You have to be a very good player to hold on to your pawns lol

btw you absolutely can't mention advantages like that. Chess Engines have no idea whats going on in the opening stage.

That line you showed with the Bd3 line...that is quite annoying for a couple of reasons. But black is doing fine. Just he doesn't play the normal c5 which is something completely different.

Views on the exchange:

uhm, I dont think e6 is good in the exchange straight away. You have to play Nf6 first a good developing move and waits on whites plans. Anything else commits too much.

Oh and the Bg4 variation is what I play.... lol getting the bishop out straight away. Nf6 is still better though.

Bg5+ doesn't promise white anything...it's not a good move and black doesn't worry about it.

About the game:

The computer doesn't know wether Qb3 or Nf3 is best. So you can't use it.

Ne2 is good but capturing as suggested by whatever your using isn't good. Black gets more options not taking and would rather exchange the bishop for whites good bishop.

Yes. Nf3 is fine.

8...Bd6 9. Bg5?? Why did you go into this variation??? It's just losing time for white. h6 will be played next. And after 9...h6 10. Bh4 Qb6! and black encourages white to capture and double pawns becuase he will enjoy a great deal of compensation if said happens.

I think what kingsblade chose was definitely best. Taking the bishop on d6.

11. h3 I think this was a good move. There is a lot to this move which you don't seem to understand. It gives white the good option of playing g4 and exchanging the bishop of which WOULD be very usefull in a lot of variations.

I think your right about Qc7...perhaps not required but the queen is still nice there becuase it's looking at the half-open c-file and so forth and it did turn out ok.

You said "Create a battery on the c-file, but the c-file is closed." I think this implies that its a dubious move. It's not. After a minority attack the c pawn will be a weakness for white and black has already started to prepare to attack it.

You said a3 was the best move. It - in my personal opinion - cannot possible be the best move. It's a good move yes, but it should be played 1-2 ply later. Why? In order to provide white with more options. In our game a3 caused him problems becuase the minority attack didn't happen(backward pawn). You rely too much on the computer.

lol, why do you go into needless variations like b4 without Rb1? Rb1 is prerequisite to b4. You seriously went into this variation as if someone would play it lol ...why.

You keep mentioning how the position is dead level etc. But on what do you base that decision? I rarely agree.

I know I heavilty critisized this and I think sharing opinions is what makes us improve. I hope I get some replies from you and withal I still enjoyed your views and so on.

See you around thanks for making the video and sorry if I was a bit harsh on your thoughts.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:54 pm
Probation

Holy crap, that looks like a lot more than when I typed it.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm
King

Rating: 1395
Yes it certainly was a lot. And I dont just rely on a computer but a3 was definitely a good move. If white waited you could et a5 in imediately and threaten b4. White need to react quickly. Bg5 was worth looking at although BXB was probably best which I did mention in the video. You didn't mention the lines I looked at with an earlier Ne5. Which is what I would have played. While the minority attack was a sound plan I don't think it was a winning one if white played actively. h3 was an unnecessary loss of tempo as it didn't threaten anything as part of a plan at the time! If, on the other hand, white had got Ne5 in earlier, h3 made better sense as this forced black to move the B and white had the option of chopping it after Bg6. This also led to a more or less completely even position.

The reason why I say the position is dead levelis mainly because material is absolutely level and both sides have play. One thing that the computer is good at is at least showing a large advantage.

I do note that you didn't look at the lines where KB was able to equalise. Qc7 wasn't bad but the Q was very well placed anyway. Yes you did get a battery on a closed file. It wasn't open as far as I could see. Had KB played differently it would have remained closed or equivalent had white managed to plop a N on c5. Alternatively white could have played Rac1 getting a R opposite your Q and then maybe the plan for opening the file wouldn't have appeared so enticing.

KB's Qc2? allowed you to win the light squared B which payed off in the end. And then he compounded matters by not taking the N on d7 when he had the chance. The position then. As even KB noted after the b pawn was swapped off was indeed dead level!

If you fancy a game sometime lets arrange it. Where you from Tacto anyway? Thanks for the comments BTW they are appreciated and at least you obviously watched the video. However with just a few more accurate moves by KB the win was far from easy.

Last edited by brucewallace2 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Probation

I know a3 is a good move. Thing is you said it was "best" and it's not. Bg5 was not worth looking at becuase it clearly loses time and hands black the initiative.

"h3 was an unnecessary loss of tempo" how does h3 lose time? White forces black to move and if black captures the knight that just favours white, so h3 can't be bad and can't possible - as you claim - be a loss of time.

"Yes you did get a battery on a closed file.It wasn't open as far as I could see." It was aleady have open. The obvious idea being that the c3 pawn will become backwards, after the minority attack.

ps. We have played 2 games on FICS. I am Tacto on FICS and Krezay on ICC.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Probation

lol I see you edited your post and added some exclimation marks. lol

Well, ofcourse something is dead-level if you play it right. But this is chess. It's about mistakes and who sees them. I made only one mistake during this game and it was Nd7. White failed to capitalize on that mistake. White did however pay for his.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:00 pm
King

Cant remember playing you on FICS when was that? Oh and what was the result.

h3 is not technically a loss of time but it is nevertheless slow given that there were stronger and more active moves in the position and KB didn't follow it up with a plan so it was a rather random move. Not bad as such but I dont think I would have played it. But it's a matter of choice. Do you accept that? Ok I grant you that the c file was half open because your c pawn was gone. But so what, if white had fought for the file differently there was no guarentee that you could have won the c pawn.

I'm not criticising your play or KB's. I would point out that I make these videos after a long day at work and whem I'm tired I do make some mistakes and innacuracies in the commentary. However if I want to look at Bg5, whether it hands black the advantage or not, I will. Largely because I partly make the videos for my own learning. Neither do I have any pretentions at being any sort of expert.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
King

Hey where you watching from Tacto?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Probation

Hey Bruce.

I'm from South Africa.

We played 2 blitz games on FICS I won both. Btw whats your playchess rating now? I see you play there a lot, great server. I used to play there a lot.

thanks for your views

Last edited by Tacto on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:43 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm
Probation

lol Kingsblade, where is the video of our live game we just played? I really wanna watch it... ?

I post this here becuase I think you would look come here...lol sorry for going offtopic.

ontopic: lol yeah we did kinda make 3 videos on 1 game :P I learned a lot though.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]