View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Bullrock - Jamesof vs. Bullrock Queen's fianchetto [27:50] 
Video Manager

Post Bullrock - Jamesof vs. Bullrock Queen\'s fianchetto [27:50]
Poster: Bullrock
Videos Made: 39
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 3.00 (1)

Video Tags: drawn endgame material imbalance queen's fianchetto two pawns for a piece

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:58 am
Knight

Post Re: Bullrock - Jamesof vs. Bullrock Queen\'s fianchetto [27:50]
Jamesof= ME, Gideon is my first name, which for some reason I chose as my handle on this site, perhaps to confuse all the viewers. Thought I might throw in my two cents so all could see.

I had never played against this opening actually, so luckily it was correspondence and I had time to think, but all my opening moves were in an effort to hem in the b7 Bishop, so it would be inactive. Naturally I was happy to see 6...d5 knowing that I could open the c file for myself, and block in his Bishop. You may want to try to avoid that in the future, but careful not to get too cramped. I saw that you said I played with 87% accuracy, which makes me happy, I would have expected closer to 60% So...YAY

After the exchange on d5 and I play e5 I saw that you could play Ne4, but I noticed it didn't seem to do much damage on that square at the moment so I didn't bother to trade.

Then I wanted to exchange dark square Bishops since mine was bad and your other Bishop was bad, but as you say you kept the Bishop pair with 11...Nc3.

From that point on I noticed that your queen and king were on light squares, and that I had a Battery with my queen and Bishop, so I was trying to get in the pin on your queen. This led to my blunder, because I thought oh if I get rid of the pawn, then there's no way to stop the pin, but of course I forgot that the knight covered b5 after exchanging on c7, so oops blundr, but you may want to watch out for that pin, probably would never have been able to take advantage of it, but I tried. In my frustration after seeing that I played 16. Qc2 seeing that I could get a second pawn for my blunder, which was a fun imbalance.

You are right I didn't notice your Rooks doubling on the c file so instead of 21Rc2 I think I should have traded one move early, then I would own the cfile.

After the rook trade, I noticed that the d5 pawn that I wanted so firmly fixed, was actually becoming a thorn in my game, so I was looking for a way to sac a pawn with e6 to get some activity out of my f3 knight, but it never materialized, maybe instead of playing 24.h4 I should have played e6....so that's how that game went.

As for the endgame we finally reached, I felt if I could get rid of your pawns and still keep connected passers I probably coudl have won, but it probably takes a blunder to get that, so it seems a draw. Great game, and can't wait to see how our current game finishes out.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm
King

Rating: 1395
Hey how come you guys dont make so many blunders agaist me!? I just get absolutely solid chess from the pair of you.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rook

Bruce, after our first game, I knew that when I played you, I had to look and relook and look again at every move I made when I played you...which probably accounts for the fewer blunders...but I seem to remember a blunder that cost me the game in our last match!

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:19 pm
King

Yeh but that was just a pawn! Ok it lost but not very spectacularly. Why cant people just hang their Q's to avoid all the hard work?

Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:29 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Knight

I'm laughing hysterically right now...but I'm wondering if it's you being a better player that keeps us better, when the right moves are always played you have to respond correctly or get crushed.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:51 am
King

Yeh it's a pain. I like to get real beginers, preferably juniors, you can crush them no bother and they always hang pieces. Helps boost the old ego and you can think your really good ;-)

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rook

Gideon wrote:
I'm laughing hysterically right now...but I'm wondering if it's you being a better player that keeps us better, when the right moves are always played you have to respond correctly or get crushed.

Very well written, Gideon. I think this is exactly what it is.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm
King

Well I'm used to getting crushed occasionally by weaker players. Most of us are!

Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]