View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
kamus - Kamus-Flinteastwood Game 2 [26:42] 
Video Manager

Post kamus - Kamus-Flinteastwood Game 2 [26:42]
Poster: kamus
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 241
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (1)

Video Tags: Stonewall Attack

This is half of a dual commentary. Other half: kamus - Flinteastwood-Kamus Game 1

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox, FlintEastwood

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: kamus - Kamus-Flinteastwood Game 2 [26:42]
Ignore that dual commentary link- Flint's videos will be up soon and I'll post the links when that happens.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Well, I think black was already busted after white castled. To give up the dark squared bishop in such a pawn structure must be bad and opening the position being completely underdeveloped and the king in the center is too dangerous.

It's interesting that you didn't even consider 9Qg4, that would have been the first move that I would look at.
Instead of taking on h7, the bishop could have gone to f5 theatening Be6+ and with the idea of dxc5 and Qxd5+.

In the end of the game we saw you once more playing moves almost without thinking. "Qe6+ looks nice" and played a tempo (ok it is a good move, but Qh5+ was also worth a look) and two moves later you missed the mate in one, Qxe7# instead of Bxg7+. In this game it had no consequences, but in other games that I have seen it did.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:45 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yep, I saw it all in analysis. I think I have definitively proven to everyone I am one terrible chessplayer- I couldn't believe I missed the mate in one but then I remembered it was me and it all made sense. Re: 9. Qg4: maybe you mean 10.Qg4 because 9.Qg4 allows Black to save his piece as well as ...NxQ But next move, Rybka scores 10.0-0, Qg4 and Nf3 (that I played) all about the same. I didn't like Bf5 because of Ne8! and Black is defending- Rybka agrees that this loses much of White's advantage and suggests Nxg5! as the best move here and for a few more moves.. As far as Qxe6 goes, I went with the first line I analysed that seemed to win- the clock was ticking. Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment. :)

Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Rook

Games like this are why I fell in love with the stonewall...if black doesn't do anything to prevent your set up of the stonewall, it often becomes a really nice game and win for white. Welldone except for the million things Rybka can see with it's 3200 rated chessmind.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:09 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks Bullrock- I agree with Soltis that the Stonewall is an unjustly neglected opening. Though I also agree with him that it's not the best opening against all of Black's potential setups. Generally after 1.d4 e6 or 1.d4 d5 2. e3 e6, I'll go into a Stonewall with a smile on my face. It's striking how seldom Black players know what to do against a generic Stonewall setup. Zibbit has actually played this a few times in his Chesscube "target practice" videos so it can't be too bad!

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]