View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions 8/2012 [97:48] 
Knight

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions 8/2012 [97:48]
Dennis: I can say with neither hesitation nor trepidation that I've learned more about chess (and, incidentally, diction) from your videos than from any other videos ever made. I will not stand for this being your last. I decided a while ago to buy a bunch of credits and use them incredibly selectively, to the point that I have only ever paid for Zibbit's videos, I believe. You would make a second person that I gladly pay money to.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:03 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hello Dennis,
I have really enjoyed and learned from your videos, and am very glad to have had them as a resource. I've appreciated the detailed analysis, and appreciate that you are a congenial teacher and don't put out the profanity laced videos that at least one of the other videoers (Curtains?) does. I would be willing to go to a ppv basis, but I would want to be able to download the video so that I could watch it repeatedly, or at least have it available to watch on the website on a more or less permanent basis. As a lower ranked player I need to watch quite a few times because your analysis is often at a very high level.
Thank you for your all your efforts on this.
--partee

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:08 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Dennis, I have an idea, how about a "donate" button on your blog site? That is, if you don't already have one. It would be interesting to see if people would donate more than would purchase credits. Just plug it in your videos here (and elsewhere, say a youtube channel) and see if the money starts coming in. I'm thinking of doing that with my lower-end stuff.

This way, those who can't afford them can watch and others who have a touch of kindness and a dollar or two in their checkbook can help out. Personally, I would support you either way!

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Heyha,

Thank you very much for all these free videos over the years!!!
Ever since I discovered this website, I spent a lot of time watching your videos. It's like watching a movie when I have free time!
I'm always having a good time and learning at the same time when I watch one of your videos. Your voice sounds familiar. You speak loud and clear. The chess set is one of my favourites. You switch from theory to practical and reverse. And the list goes on!
I will miss you and your videos but I understand your needs.

Ciaooo o o o o o o o o o o

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:34 pm
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Hi Dennis, I like the idea of voluntary donations and would certainly contribute. You give a lot to the world of chess and we, in turn should support people like you.

Credits? Maybe.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1800
Hi Dennis, you are an incredible asset to the chess video learning community - content like yours is unsurpassed. Without the financial ability to fund my chess enthusiasm, I am incredibly sad to see my "friendship" with you possibly coming to an end. I hope there comes a time when I can contribute and help to support content like yours! You will be missed!

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:18 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the nice comments and feedback. I'll try to reply to everyone! First, though, I'd like to try the PPV credits system as well. It may be that the vast majority of viewers will be so used to seeing me for free that they'll be unwilling to chip in a little bit to keep things going. We'll see. But it's worth a try. What I'd like to do is to have (generally) shorter, more frequent videos. Unlike Greg ("curtains"), I won't show my live blitz games.

It's not that they're so bad; in fact, while my ratings are generally a little lower than his, they're sometimes higher - though if I tried chatting while playing that probably wouldn't be the case! The main reason is that it's kind of hit or miss, and I'd rather show something I'm sure will be useful or beautiful. So when I win (or even lose) a nice game, I might show it afterwards, but such videos will generally be the exception.

Instead, I'm inclined to have videos looking at recent games and game fragments, or interesting opening ideas I've come across, or answering interesting questions from you. It will be more like a video blog. For instance, there are several interesting games I'd like to show from the ongoing London Grand Prix, and then there's a fascinating and amusing tale to tell about a line of the Anti-Moscow Gambit having to do with Lars Schandorff's latest 1.d4 repertoire with the Queen's Gambit.

On now to replies.

To everyone: thank you!

@ George Hollands: I don't think I'll be back at playchess. I was there for 5-6 years, and they switched from having my shows air for "free" to a credits approach, and the audience wasn't so happy about that. As for ICC, that would be amusing - I was one of the first guys doing videos there!

@ kamus: They were paying, but decided to stop. I was happy with the old arrangement.

@ Chris Falter: You might be right. The one thing I can say on my behalf is that I consistently put a lot of work into my videos, and hopefully that will make the difference for an audience.

@ BlueSun: Don't worry - I don't intend on running any "Quick [Insert gigantic opening here]" series any time soon. :)

@ sfarmer29: Thanks for the remarks. Incidentally, I've never before received a threat involving llamas. Depending on which grass they eat, though, they might be welcome. :)

@ katar: My thoughts about Curtains are similar to yours: they're entertaining, but their value (when it's blitz games) is hit-or-miss. As you say, we each have our own niche in the CV.tv universe. As for a "Quick Colle", there's something to be said for having occasional videos or even an occasional series on what we might call "safe club openings". The "Quick London", though, hmm. I used to think that was possible, but having seen Eric Prie's endless fascination with the London System on ChessPublishing.com, I have my doubts!

@ guy: If/when I get back to playing in tournaments again regularly, that would surely be part of what I'd cover.

@ FlintEastwood: Thanks for your loyal viewership. Hopefully you don't feel like you're speaking to an empty chair here. :)

@ Wolfgang: Thank you for the especially gracious comments, and rest assured that I will strive to maintain and improve my diction!

@ partee: I can't deny that I've felt the anguish that Curtains freely expresses in his videos, but I agree with you that all things being equal, videos are better without that.

@ sfarmer29, part 2: Thank you for the ad! Of course, it just so happens that I did and do have a donate button on my blog (http://www.thechessmind.net/). I think, though, that it's probably better to try credits - at least for now.

And that's it! I'll ask Josh and "admin" what I need to do to get things set up, and will try to start posting this upcoming week.

http://www.thechessmind.net

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:38 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Great news, Dennis! Looking forward to your upcoming offerings. :)

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Rating: unrated
Thanks for all the free videos you have published so far on this site and good luck on your future endeavours

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:07 pm
Knight

Rating: 1500
You made my knight, sir. :)

Incidentally, wasn't Lars Schandorff a guy from Ghostbusters?

Edit: Ahh, I found it. http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ivo_Shandor

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm
Knight

Rating: 2027
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Hello Dennis,

I've really enjoyed your videos so far, along with IM Renier Castellanos' vids, who sadly doesn't post anymore.
And I'm happy to see that other people also share my opinion.
I've learned much through your videos, practical gameplay, but also technical and tactical shots (typical tactics in certain opening structures for example).
Even though to outstanding people the rating difference of 300 points between you and me might not seem that significant, I have to admit that you're chess understanding is on a complete different level of mine. So I'm sure there is a lot more I can learn from players like you, hence even from players with lower rating than yours can still teach me a lot.
In fact I would be sad to see an era end. Both an era of this site's history, but also an era in my chess development. I was absorbing the things you and Castellanos were preaching and in fact I'm sure that I've polished my chess skllls also via your videos.
But if you were to end your efforts, I would like to take the chance to thank you a lot for the efforts you have put into these videos. I guess that a 90 minutes video takes a lot more work than we can imagine, and I bet it's not done in 90 minutes, but maybe in the double time!
In any case I wish you the best for both your life and your chess career and I'd be happy to hear from you and maybe even meet you someday at some tournament and talk with you about your videos and recent stuff :).

If you plan to present videos which cost, I would actually consider paying for them. So far I have hesitated in this sense because I don't fully trust online payment systems. But I might give it a shot, if it's a fair price :). In fact that's the least I could do for the work you have put into the videos.

In that sense: Good luck in your further life and see you sometime soon!

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1800
Dennis,

Thanks very much for your videos. They are very enjoyable. I guess I do not get enough out of your videos since I do not spend enough time on improving (hence the lack of posts or questions). That makes me think twice about contributing - since by design, I do not get sufficient benefit out of watching them. I would consider it though.

I have followed your blog over the years and have enjoyed it as well.

I believe your contributions are very welcome to many people. Good luck wherever you go.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:45 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
Dear Everyone,

I'd like to start doing videos, as discussed above, but either Josh and admin are on vacation or have "lost my number", and haven't gotten back to me about setting up ppv/credits. Does anyone know where they are or how to set that up?

http://www.thechessmind.net

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Hello

Thanks for all the things you have done you done me proud I would like you to continue making videos

I Supporting you

I am offering you be able to post any thing about chess and uploaded your videos to my site

and get your views over to my site to see your fine videos

my website is http://gamersnetwork.darkbb.com

join it and then you be able to post videos and get your videos view at from anyone!!

I do not wont you to go I like your videos

What do you say please continue here or fell free to express your self on my website in the chess section I am happy to help

thanks

tdbnz

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1885
Sorry, I got to this late. I have started playing online turn based, and I have been spending many hours working on those games, and my regular training has fallen by the wayside.

I love your viewer games/questions videos. If I were you, I would keep them free to keep/build an audience and do other's for credit.

I do reference your videos on my blog, but I don't have many followers, sorry.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next