View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Intro and Scotch Game [22:03] 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: katar - 1.e4 e5 for Black: Intro and Scotch Game [22:03]
I love the other John Cox books that I own, but I agree that his Berlin book was too... Something... Overwhelming seems about right... I felt like if you need all that to play the Berlin, then 3... a6 doesn't look so bad -- and I have both of Mihail Marin's books on how to do that...

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 pm
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Thanks for this! I look forward to the rest of the series. I've been looking for an alternative to 1. c5 to vary my game a bit, but I'm kind of scared to depart from what I already know. I think I'll have to watch this series then give e5 a go. I played it when I barely knew what chess was, and then discovered the joy of the Sicilian.

By the way, the Najdorf, although I don't play it myself, is very logical to me. White has an awful lot of control over the b5 square, and black just blunts it all off with a simple move, also preparing b5 himself to further restrict white's pieces.

You make some interesting points about these openings breaking the principles of chess, but I'm not so sure that I agree.
Chess is like music, and art...new ideas come up, and the rules change around them. I don't think these other ways of playing are exceptions to the rules, but rather a different set of rules - another genre of chess.

I love the downtempo, chillout closed games, and also the hardcore techno Sicilian games...it just depends what mood I'm in :) Although I'm not such a fan of the avant-garde chess with 1. h3...

Edit: Btw, thanks for giving some lines which affected your decision to give up the Scandanavian! I hate that opening as white and would like little more than to brutually crush it! Perhaps the lines you give are the way forward. I'll be looking further into those!

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
The Najdorf breaks many classical principles of chess and was scoffed at by the Old Guard annotators like Tartakower until it finally became respectable around the 1950's. Generally speaking, in the opening, controlling the b5 square should not be a big priority on move 5 when Black has only 1 piece developed. Making a flank pawn move (a6) in order to prepare another flank pawn move (b7-b5) when one has only 1 piece developed also seems a bit sketchy to me. Same goes for Tiger's Modern where black makes 4 flank-pawn moves while only developing 1 piece. I'm pretty sure Paul Morphy would laugh at these openings if you sat at a table and tried to explain it to him.

What i'm trying to say is that it is good advice for learning players to start out playing classical openings before branching out to non-classical ones. This is just my opinion based on my experience. 8) A music student should study Bach before Stravinsky. So, a chess player should study Morphy before Fischer.

For more Scandinavian-bashing, see here: viewtopic.php?t=7013

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

katar wrote:
The Najdorf breaks many classical principles of chess and was scoffed at by the Old Guard annotators like Tartakower until it finally became respectable around the 1950's. Generally speaking, in the opening, controlling the b5 square should not be a big priority on move 5 when Black has only 1 piece developed. Making a flank pawn move (a6) in order to prepare another flank pawn move (b7-b5) when one has only 1 piece developed also seems a bit sketchy to me. Same goes for Tiger's Modern where black makes 4 flank-pawn moves while only developing 1 piece. I'm pretty sure Paul Morphy would laugh at these openings if you sat at a table and tried to explain it to him.

And yet the Najdorf is considered far better than the Classical Sicilian, which develops a piece. In the Sicilian controlling the b5 square really is that important, just look at all the mainlines where Black plays a6 later or even earlier. The Classical Rauzer, the Scheveningen Modern, and most people use the Najdorf moveorder to get their Scheveningen, the Kan, the Sveshnikov, and so on. I take your point about what to start out with, but Morphy and classical principles isn't all there is to chess and even a beginner should be aware of that.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:57 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1855
Quote:
The Classical Rauzer, the Scheveningen Modern, and most people use the Najdorf moveorder to get their Scheveningen, the Kan, the Sveshnikov,

ok for Scheveningen, but you definitely don't get a Sveshnikov or a Kan using the Najdorf moveorder.

the point of a6 is not only to control b5 but it is also a "usefull" waiting move, instead of showing your adversary right away what you're going to play, you play a6, which comes in handy in most lines anyway, and react acordingly to your adversary's plan. If 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 e5 would work, nobody would play 5...a6 anyway (except for transposition to a scheveningen perhaps).

by the way, if the najdorf is realy that much better than the classical sicilian, why are there still GMs playing it?

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:32 am
Pawn

Rating: 1200
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Good video. Thanks.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:35 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Thanks for this video. The following may be of interest:
From "50 Essential Chess Lessons" by Steve Giddins (Gambit) 2006
Game 4, Padevsky - Kholmov, Dresden 1956
Scotch Opening
1 e4 e5, 2 Nf3 Nc6, 3 d4 exd4, 4 Nxd4 Nf6, 5 Nxc6 bxc6, 6 e5 Qe7.
"This variation of the Scotch has become highly popular in recent years after being re-introduced into master practice by Kasparov."
7 Qe2 Nd5, 8 c4 Nb6, 9Nd2 Bb7
This game appears to have close connection to Tarrasch 1931. :)

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Just a few minor touch ups to the PGN for this one:

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:28 am
Pawn

Rating: 1650
Wow, back when Smerdon was an IM, lol. Played him in a tournament last year and he crushed me, very good player.

Thu May 05, 2011 2:09 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
(This has been posted in the other relevant threads too- since the original post where I linked to the CPT repertoire has long since dropped off the radar, I thought it made sense to link here):

I have transcribed Katar's e4-e5 complete repertoire into Chess Position Trainer format. See the link at the end of this post.

Please note that for my ease in transcription, I divided the repertoire into several sub-repertoires however many transpositions exist from one opening to another that are not addressed by this method of organization. Fortunately, CPT allows one to merge the sub-repertoires (discrete sub-reps or altogether) to create one super-repertoire that does address the transposition issue. If you do this (and you probably should for training purposes), first make a copy of the original in case you want to split off any of the sub-repertoires at a later date.

Also, databases are very tricky to proofread and Katar didn't speak the moves aloud at many points as he whizzed through variations making transcription a real challenge at times, so undoubtedly there will errors and oversights. Please let me know when you discover these as I will continue to update the repertoire over time.

All the material covered in his videos including comments (though often condensed) and evaluations is included. I also drew on other sources- articles, books and computer analysis in places where I thought it was useful to flesh out the lines or investigate obvious looking replies that were not originally covered in the videos. The only video of his 9-part series not included is the Main Line Berlin Defense ("The Berlin Wall") as the types of positions that arise (i.e. based on ideas rather than variations) do not lend themselves to a database treatment very successfully. You should watch his video for the ideas involved as well as Dennis Monokroussos' two excellent videos (albeit with a different approach to the opening than Katar's recommendations) and Cox's book (The Berlin Wall).

Many thanks to katar for his hard work and diligent research and also a big shoutout to Wildman whose PGN transcriptions proved invaluable at times.

Enjoy!

http://nationalchessacademy.org/Katar_K ... _e4_e5.zip

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
I've also just started playing e5 coming from the French and I've had some problems with the Scotch, mostly because I haven't bothered to study the ideas. This is nice intro to an interesting line.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:11 am
King

Rating: 1802
Re-watching this great series. Too lazy to think up my own openings :)

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Great videos.
At 12:58 you're talking about "sipid videos". What does it mean? Or don't I understand it correctly?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:20 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
gavagai_hh wrote:
Great videos.
At 12:58 you're talking about "sipid videos". What does it mean? Or don't I understand it correctly?

Zibbit videos! By the legendary Fide Master Ingvar Thor Johannesson. :viking:
http://www.chessvideos.tv/chess-video-s ... min=&dmax=

Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5