View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
The Chess Gym - Tactics from Queen-pawn openings [9:45] 
Video Manager

Post The Chess Gym - Tactics from Queen-pawn openings [9:45]
Poster: The Chess Gym
Videos Made: 29
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 2.33 (3)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: hamzazammel007, bofideese, detroitman

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:04 pm
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I don't understand what's so fantastic about tactics against awful play...

It's hard to believe that a NM would advocate playing subpar openings. If you're a NM in OTB quick play, chances are you're going to be playing people well under your ability level the majority of the time...meaning that you're going to outplay your opponent regardless of the opening.

Though far below his rating, as a chess enthusiast, and not someone trying to sell you a used car in the form of tactics practice, I would advise less experienced players to learn openings that are conducive to giving you a playable midgame, instead of novelty openings that will get you a small handful of wins due to opponent incompetency.

I'm anxiously awaiting his next video on the Spartan battle revolving around Scholar's Mate... [/sarcasm]

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 pm
Knight

Good feedback my friend. I am a NM at both quick and slow oTB time controls. First, let's establish that the Budapest Defense is not a subpar defense. It is not played at the World Championship level, but is excellent for tournament and cub play. Since most of the audience here will not be competing in the next Chess Championship cycle, the Budapest Defense,London System with Black or White provide aspiring players the opportunity to be creative and innovative in their attempts o win the opening phase of the game. Secondly, I am an advocate of playing and reaching positions one can understand and having a concrete plan based on familiarity of the position reached. Tactical study is the best and most effective use of time and energy as it relates to study for beginning, intermediate and improving players (i.e. the target group of my videos) vs. rote memorization of opening variations with no understanding of the plans and strategies that the position requires. A plan and tactics beats excellent opening knowledge with minimal tactics at the tournament and club level 95% of the time. Even a bad plan and tactics will have close to the same results at the club and tournament level vs. great knowledge of the latest opening theory and weak tactics. Good insight on your part my friend. Let's keep the discussion going. :) P.S. You must be a mind -reader, how did you know the next video would discuss the "Queen's raid" or Scholar's mate attack? :D

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Actually for us less good players I think this is real nice..

I played Fritz 10 today a couple of times and I do not understand what I did wrong but it just beat me to the ground...I did not have the slightest of chance. I just saw that it evaluated the position 0.5..then 0.6 and then 0.9 and bla bla bla and all of a sudden it was hopeless and I did/do not understand what I did wrong.

You have to begin somewhere I think..the understanding must begin somewhere and I do not think this is completely wrong afterall chess is about having fun...and there is something to learn from everything I think. More for beginners and less for GMs...

So anyway..keep up the nice work I think it is entertaining..=)

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:04 am
Knight

Hi and thanks for taking the time to learn and watch. I would love if you sent me the game and maybe I could give some hints to improve your play. You can email me the moves to my web site or post them here. Thanks so much.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:05 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Rook

I agree with MapleStevens. Chess is about exposure and I'd rather be exposed to tactics in all forms than not. Furthermore, I used to play the Budapest Defense against lower rated players because I could get aggressive against them. I could play a more solid defense, but why not attack from the start and try to get the quick knock out. That way I have more time and energy for harder opponents.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Knight

Rating: 1960
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)

I used to play the Budapest Gambit a long time ago so I understand I lot of the opening moves you played right from the start of the video. I must say that I've watched a lot of videos on this website and I can tell you that your enthusiasm is by far the best part of your video. When teachers of any subject show the kind of enthusiasm that you have it is certain to attract newcomers. Keep up the good work.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:06 pm
Rook

I really enjoy your enthusiasm!! As you were saying, I completely agree that it's ok to study and even play these gambit or "subpar" openings for club or ameteur players. It is also good to study these positions because even if you don't play this specific opening, you are bound to play AGAINST these openings and it is good to know the theory behind it so you can play the right moves against it. Thank you for the video and keep up the good work.

Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:33 pm
King Goo

Rating: 2156
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
After Ne5? you showed an example of Bxd8?? Bxf2 mate. What kind of idiot would play that??? Instead, white would play Be3!, leaving only doubled pawns. Correct is Bxf2+! Kxf2 Ne5+ followed by Nxg5. A video about tactics of awful play is not useful.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:54 am
Profile WWW
King

After Ne5? you showed an example of Bxd8?? Bxf2 mate. What kind of idiot would play that???
the same idiot who played Bg5 on teh previous move. also, a question mark for Ne5 is harsh. after Be3 BxB, fxB Qh4+ white is in trouble.

gooeyjim wrote:
Instead, white would play Be3!, leaving only doubled pawns. Correct is Bxf2+! Kxf2 Ne5+ followed by Nxg5. A video about tactics of awful play is not useful.

Jim, in your line with Bxf2, Ne4+ what do you think of now Ke3! attking the knight... Now (a) if Nxg5 h4 traps the knight. if (b) Qxg4 Kxe4 White's king dominates the whole center! :)

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF

Sometimes people show one side or the other making a bad move to explain the tactics behind an idea. And I think it's useful to keep in mind that some moves might look like idiocy to a player of your strength, but I can guarantee that a whole lot of your moves look like they were made by an idiot to a player like Anand. It's all relative.

I'm not saying you shouldn't criticize, it's just that the way you phrased it was pretty harsh.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:15 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I agree with Josh..The rating of all the people that comes here and enjoys talking, sharing, looking on videos is not that of a Master.

I come here cause everything about chess enjoys me and if I get to learn something meanwhile..fine.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:00 pm
Knight

Thanks for your comment and opinion Gooey Jim, and you are correct Bxf2+ is more forceful, but doesn't lead to mate as the example does. The objective of the video as Josh so eloquently stated, is to illustrate how to exploit the violation of sound development. The video is aimed at aiding intermediate players(i.e. those much below your perceived strength) improve in their planning, strategy, piece deployment ad overall play. With a rating of 1200+ you would do well to look at investing in purchasing much more advance videos by GM Roman Dzinzihasvilli, Nigel Davies, and others who make videos for IM's GM's and of course for prodigies i.e.( tallented 1200 rated tactical snipers) pros like yourself. Please forgive the simplicity of the lesson my friend, but my target audience are those wishing to improve, not those who have already arrived. Thanks for watching and good luck in the next championship cycle.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:13 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Knight

Hey Chess Gym, I enjoy your enthusiasm and the smooth and concise way your videos flow.

I am sure your infectious commentary will inspire and motivate begginers as well as less experienced players to work a bit more at their game.

My only minor critcism is that the presentation was a bit too short and the material could have been reinforced with practical material illustrating the same tactical motif as in your Budapest example.

For instance: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4 h6 4.Nc3 Bg4 5.Nxe5 Bxd1 6.Bxf7+ Ke7 7.Nd5 Mate. This is a very common scenario at begginer level. This tactical device can catch even the strongest of players unawares as evidenced by a recent, albeit more complicated example:

Ahn,M (2302) - Ruck,T (2334) [C45]
TCh-BEL 2006-7 Belgium BEL (9), 25.02.2007

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 exd4 4.Nxd4 Bc5 5.Nb3 Bb6 6.Nc3 Nf6 7.Bg5 h6 8.Bh4 d6 9.a4 Nxe4 10.Bxd8 Bxf2+ 11.Ke2 Bg4+ 12.Kd3 Ne5+ 13.Kxe4 f5+ 14.Kd5 Rxd8 15.Qxg4 [No better is 15.Be2 Ke7!! Forcing mate in two 16.Nd4 c6+ 17.Nxc6+ bxc6 mate] 15...c6+ 16.Ke6 0-0 17.Nd5 fxg4 18.Bd3 g6 19.Rhf1 Kg7 20.Nd4 Rfe8+ 21.Ne7 Bh4 22.Bxg6 Rxe7+ 23.Kf5 Rf8+ 24.Ke4 Nxg6+ 25.Kd3 Ne5+ 26.Kc3 Bf2 0-1 A truly spectacular example.

I look forward to sampling some more of your efforts.

Keep up the good work 8)

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:32 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

The Chess Gym is the best (with curtains...)I really love these demonstrations (not for GMs,thats sure...)
I want more!
:D

Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:43 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next