View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
brucewallace2 - KingsBlade Ending Winning or?! [23:51] 
Video Manager

Post brucewallace2 - KingsBlade Ending Winning or?! [23:51]
Poster: brucewallace2
Videos Made: 54
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 3.67 (3)

Video Tags: Dundee Wallace Chess

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: cropduster, spilkler

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:44 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: brucewallace2 - KingsBlade Ending Winning or?! [23:51]
Excellent. I was thinking about doing a video about this ending but you beat me to it :-)

My feeling was it was winning after Kg5 but I was a little bit hasty because I thought white had Kg6 to win a tempo but then black wins of course with ...f4 a clumsy mistake. But intuitively that's what I felt without calculating. If we however moved the f/g pawn formation up one rank it would be winning for white but that's another matter altogether.

Overall I think you did a good job with that but I have a feeling that using the chess engines for these positions is sometimes not best because I don't think they undrstand some types of principles in these pawn endings.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:27 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1395
Thx Zibbit. Yeh I think your right about the falability of engines analysing endgames. In fact I used the engine but really it wasn't much help actually. The best way to tackle these is with a board just like you'd have to do over the board in an actual game. I think there were a couple of inaccuracies in the video. What I tried to do was look at all of blacks possible moves and whites replies. How bloody complex was it?!! The engine was almost melting! I think there were a couple of inaccuracies in the video so the finished product may be a bit flawed. I particularly liked the line where white ended up with four pawns to one but lost.

It would be nice for you to produce a video on some endgame positions :-)

Aren't endings the distilled essence of chess?!!

Cheers Bruce

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:30 am
Profile ICQ WWW
King Goo

Rating: 2156
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
No white has only one move... Kg5. Other moves lose after Kc6.
No black has no other move other than Kf6, other moves allow white to win.
Kh4?? Kf6 black should win.
b4 seems risky; it gives white a passed a-pawn.
I think Kxf5?? loses better is Kf4! where black will not queen with check. Now I believe white will win and he will snipe the rest of black's pawns.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:49 am
Profile WWW
King

UUUmm this ending appears to be stirring up a bit of controversy. Obviously more analysis need. Over to you Gooyjim. Another video? :-)

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:01 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:39 am
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
I love pawn endings and this one is no exception. Therer are so many finesses! The stalemate idea with Kh5-Kh4 instead of Kh4-Kh5, which loses after black sacrifices his extra pawn and wins the remaining pawn endgame. Or the ...b5 move in the ...a6-line. It's not that clear instantly, why it draws. After 2. Kh4, Kf6, 3. Kh5 f4 4. Kxg4, fxg3 5. Kxg3, Kg5 black appears to have crossed the barrier by white. While this wins in some variations, not in this one! White's king gets forced back to e2/d2/d3 where there will be a new barrier, which is unbreakable this time.

It seems remarkable to me that this is a draw, as it looks like it's going to be a win for either side, but not a draw. But as you showed it's a draw. To summarize (taking a bit from my own analysis aswell): it's a draw, if, in the main diagram, white plays 2. b4 after any other move than 1... a5 by black, or if black plays 1... a5, then white plays 2. a3 and whenever black plays ... c5, white plays b4 and draws, as after mass exchanges white reaches stalemate, or after no exchanges, white can set up his barrier on d2/d3.

One thing about your otherwise nice commentary: you say somewhere something along the lines of 'it's these kind of positions where titled players have a big edge'. I tend to disagree, atleast in these kind of positions with very, very much reduced material: if I have 30 mins to calculate the variations, then they can't win against me, cause they can't play their magic-moves. After this analysis even Kasparov can't win against you! It's all 'simple' and straightforward. No, titled players destroy you big time, cause they always spot where your weaknesses are. In the middlegame they have the edge and in endings where there's still a piece on the board, for worse players can't see all the ideas behind every move.

All in all, black should have avoided this endgame without much calculation (or, ofcours, if he has masses of time then he can just calculate the endgame and see it's not winning). After Kg5 black can't play freely with his king, so the endgame isn't clear. If you're ahead, you should choose the easiest and the most clear variations. Therefore Bf8 was clearly best.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:19 pm
King

I agree Bf8! as it was far from clear that black had a win. Mind you though I dont necessarily agree with you about titled players. There was a winning line here for black but it was far from clear. Also , I think it was c5! which was winning but there were other moves with a small advantage. However it's imperative to see the whole variation against ALL of white's replies. It's here that very strong players have the advantage. Perhaps I'll show this position to a GM and see what he thinks. It'll be interesting to hear his view.

Cheers Bruce

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]