View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
KingsBlade - Armis vs KB Live Long Game Acc Dragon [60:51] 
Video Manager

Post KingsBlade - Armis vs KB Live Long Game Acc Dragon [60:51]
Poster: KingsBlade
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400) | Videos Made: 189
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.20 (5)

Video Tags: but Armis wanted me to post it- thanks for your patience Sorry its so long

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:33 am
Endgame Virtuoso

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: KingsBlade - Armis vs KB Live Long Game Acc Dragon [60:51]
phew... Now that was a long one! :) But I am glad you posted it. If you are going to post the other one try putting as much as questions as you can come up with I'll try to answer them. I mean what does that do? What's his plan? What's my plan? Stuff like that. There is a lot to it in this game
The end of the video was pretty funny

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:52 am
Rook

Wow! Amazing game, guys. I would have needed a day for each move! Kingsblade, I'm very impressed you hung in there with Armis as long as you did. He is obviously a very strong player, but you played very well, too. To answer your question about which type of video we prefer: live or replay...I would vote for live any day. And the length of this game didn't bother me one bit. Also, you did a great job of explaining what you were looking at and how each prospective move might help or hinder your position. Amazing game...by far one of the best I've seen on this site. I hope others appreciate it as much as I did.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:20 pm
Rook

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Very nice video indeed!
I was wondering what the missed tactic was that was mentioned towards the end.

I definately prefer live videos too. Listening to thoughts as they develop is so much ore interesting and I do think the learning experience is better aswell.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:41 pm
Endgame Virtuoso

Well I have to agree with Bullrock and Lovesupreme, Kingsblade did an excellent job on commenting for such a long game.
By the way if anyone catches me on FICS and is willing to do this ( live commentary or a video analysis of the game played) I'll gladly help you out
Here are a couple of hints if you can't spot the tactic

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:48 pm
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
This was a very, very tough game.

I would've played bxc6: it gives you a clear plan on what to do: you want to get the central break with ...d5. I personally think that position is just easier to play than dxc6. The reasoning for dxc6 opening the bishop diagonal in 1 move seems busted here anyway. The bishop on the diagonal isn't doing much anyway after h3. And after bxc6 and the move ...d5 you get to use the bishop on the c8-h3 diagonal anyway. I know both moves are played, but bxc6 is much easier to play and certainly so for lower rated players. Better be a little bit (tiny bit) less solid with a plan than to be toally solid without a plan.

You can see this in the game. Basically you made 1 mistake, to play ...e6, after which you can leave it to armis to immediately exploit the weakened d6-square. But you've thought for half an hour and you couldn't come up with a plan! That's not because of you, that's because of the position. Gooeyjim can probably tell you instantly how to defend this position: he's very strong positionally. That being said, he could tell you a hundred times, that wouldn't make matters easier. Black is just defending here and he'll need to not screw things up. A very strong player can do that, others are just waiting to screw something up. That's just the way it works if you're defending a position. Here you're defending against invisible threads: you have to remain solid and every and all weaknesses you make can and will be used against you (...e6 in this game). Better have a plan after bxc6 than trying to remain solid.

I have no idea what you could've done differently in the game after dxc6. I can't find an idea really on how to continue. So, I would've probably been destroyed aswell.

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:52 am
King

Rating: 1395
:D Nice attack Armis.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:25 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 am
Endgame Virtuoso

although I agree that in this particular case it is better to take back with the b pawn there is absolutely nothing wrong with dxc

Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 am
King

Rating: 2202
There's nothing wrong with dxc6, just that the position is harder to play than bxc6.

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am
Endgame Virtuoso

It's a matter of taste I guess. As strange as it may seem I do find the bxc6 line much harded to play for black simply because he has so many options. In the dxc lines the structure is clearly defined, static and black has more or less one general plan. Black's problem in this game was that he didn't get e5 in time

Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:19 am
King Goo

Rating: 2156
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Bb5 is quite annoying to me, the is the main drawback for the accerelated dragon vs the hyper accerelated dragon. The drawback for the hyper acc dragon is that Qxd4 is possible for white.
after Bb5 black should ignore the knight and just play g6.
Bxc6 looked a bit weird to me, probably after this move black is slightly better if he carefully watches the doubled pawns.
Qc7 was a bit dubious, because now the black queen is forced to a worse square. I like black's plan of ...Ba6, and going for c4 at some point.
I do not understand Re8, it looks a bit weird and I don't see any plan that black has with this move.
e6? this looked like a pretty serious mistake. After e5! white has a pretty powerful kingside attack.
I think better would be Qc7, preparing c5, freeing the light-squared bishop.
Rb8 was another blunder, although it is hard to see what black can do in this position.
Unfortunate but nessisary I think is f6, after ef nxf6 bxg7 kxg7 Qc3, black is under pressure but it looks to me black can hold.

After that armis showed good technique and a build up on your weak f6 square and with his extra pawn he won.
Good job for holding equality against armis for about 10 moves, and not messing up in the opening.
I wasn't disapointed, armis is a very strong player, sometimes armis crushes me, now I think armis even beats me in blitz.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:34 am
King

Rating: 2200
Hi KingsBlade.
Regarding the opening exchange I doubt it matters much which pawn you recapture with as both have their plus and negative points, so it is more a matter of taste or style. Strong players can have strong conflicting opinions about such things, you should just go for the one which YOU feel most comfortable.

I think castling was a mistake by you. To me, the differance is that you posses the two bishops - which is a long term advantage, so you do not need to be in a hurry to do anything. It is more important to maintain the two bishops and hold the centre. You were correct I believe in wanting to play e5, you could have achieved this easily with the manouver Nf6-Nd7 followed by e5. Having not castled, you answer his Be3-Qd2 battery with h6 preventing Bh6 and gaurding the g5 square. Dont worry, your king is very safe in the centre, and should only feel awkward should white play the d3-d4 pawn break, but this is not a good idea for white normally in this position type. You have the follow up plan of Nd7-Nf8-Ne6 heading for d4 or f4. Like in the Benoni your Bc8 need not be in a hurry to move, as it can be good to keep the options open. Long term, once you have stablised the position to your liking, your plan is to OPEN by pawn exchanges diagonals for your bishops. The fixed pawn centre should help with later pawn breaks.

Regarding white; playing moves like a3 and b4 often happen in these lines, but it makes sense only if black 0-0-0 or intends to. Otherwise such an advance can only favour black who with his bishop pair welcomes open lines. Whites best plan if he is denied the St Goerge type attack Be3-Qd2-Bh6-h4-h5 sac sac mate, is to try and engineer a kings gambit break with f4, but this is not easy to do.

Hope this helps you. Obviously I could just be talking a lot of bunkom as I do not play this for either side :?

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:28 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next