View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
FM Dennis Monokroussos - Knocking Out the Matrix [32:07] 
Video Manager

Post FM Dennis Monokroussos - Knocking Out the Matrix [32:07]

This video costs 3 credits to view

Purchasing this video gives you the right to unlimited viewing of this Video on ChessVideos.TV in addition to the ability to download this video in iPod video format for personal viewing. By purchasing this video you agree to the Terms Of Service.

Please Register So You Can Purchase This Video

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: FM Dennis Monokroussos - Knocking Out the Matrix [32:07]
The Matrix? Huh? I don't know man, seems fishy to me. I think you are right in taking on the sharp lines, but it seems that even the simple lines (i.e., non-gambit style) are fine for Black, the question will always be - what the heck is the Q doing on h5?

Still, I like the gambit line you employed. Leads to some interesting play that seems really really good for Black. If someone plays this nonsense against me I'll try the gambit idea - looks like great fun!

Congrats on the Indiana State Ch!

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rook

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
you are making me very excited for next week. This one was great, i mean, maybe I've been drinking a little, but this video was just funny. I've always found this opening funny, it initially seems stupid, but then it seems okay when you see white's resources, but then look closer and realize it just doesn't work out well for white at all, no matter if you take the positional, or the tactical approach as black, both ways give black an edge. also lol at the sportsmanship of that guy. I feel sorry for you to have to put up with that lol...

Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2115
Ugh I'm not looking forward to next week's public humiliation. I hate to be famous as the guy who can't win from the Lucena position! Haha, oh well. Great video though, I'll definitely have to bust out this line against Parham II if I ever cross paths with him again.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:36 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Really enjoyed that game.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:57 pm
Pawn

Parham has a whole theory behind the 2.Qh5 move. :)
http://www.thechessdrum.net/talkingdrum/TheMatrix/index.html

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:48 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1859
Very nice presentation. I had previously followed Kasparov with 2...Nc6 but now have some new ideas to play with!

I looked this up and found that Wikipedia has an article where 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 is called the Parham Attack. I think you will like that your choice, 2. ... Nf6, is called the Kiddie Countergambit! :lol:

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:21 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
I think it's very shortsighted to say that 2. Qh5 is a junk-opening. Your comment about how this is all about white saying that 'he can play anything against black' is just plain wrong. I play it for it's strategical merits after the normal response 2... Nc6. The main thing is that it's very hard for black to play ...d5, which is common in something like the Italian (I play it differently from the one line you showed). Apart from that, I've had quite a few games that followed with a queenside castling by white and a kingside-attack where white could fully exploit the weakened pawn-structure of black which was soly created thanks to 2. Qh5. Another main idea about this opening is to not play any theory, to use one's own creativity from move 2 and not having to follow Grandmaster moves untill move 25. Therefore saying that it's just a junk-opening is just shortsighted.

However, I agree, of course, that 2... Nf6 is probably the refutation of the whole idea. So it's kind of a bluff to play 2. Qh5: if black knows about this move white's going to have a hard time, if black doesn't, white gets some reasonable play.

On another point, I personally do not watch your videos often and actually this is why: what's the point in making a video about how you beat someone that played 2. Qh5? I mean, you're an FM, you have lots of experience, you have even more knowledge about general ideas in chess! But, regretfully imho, you just show interesting, often super-complicated, games, but nothing more. I hope you will not view this as harsh criticism, cause it's not meant that way (it's just not my cup of tea). But as I was going to comment on the content of the video anyway, I thought I would just add that personally I'd think more strategical content (like use of the open-file, bishoppair, outposts etc. etc.) would have been nicer than something about the 2. Qh5 'junk' :).

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

RAU4ever wrote:
I think it's very shortsighted to say that 2. Qh5...

...But, regretfully imho, you just show interesting, often super-complicated, games, but nothing more. I hope you will not view this as harsh criticism, cause it's not meant that way (it's just not my cup of tea). But as I was going to comment on the content of the video anyway, I thought I would just add that personally I'd think more strategical content (like use of the open-file, bishoppair, outposts etc. etc.) would have been nicer than something about the 2. Qh5 'junk' :).

I was of the opinion that Dennis was going to show us his games form the Indiana State Ch, in that sense he brought us this game.

I also think that calling something 'junk' is subjective - I call the French Defense 'junk' when it is obvious that it is not. To be fair to Dennis he did show some lines where White can manage just fine (the Qd3 idea springs to mind).

I thought it was an entertaining and informative view at an unorthodox line of play. The 'Kiddie Counter Gambit', as someone dubbed it, is just how theory develops. Someone comes up with an idea, another person finds the antidote, then the ball is back in White's court. So, after 2. ... Nf6 I wish you luck on finding an improvement for White - this is not meant as a *slight*, I really mean it, I hope there is strong continuation for White. It's just not my cup of tea, so I won't try but if you play this line you might be able to find an improvement.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
Thanks for the all comments so far - very interesting! I especially appreciate Kala's link, and am amused to discover that 2...Nf6 has been labeled the "Kiddie Counter Gambit". Score one for the kids!

inskeep: I kept you anonymous - you needn't have de-anonymized yourself. :)

RAU4ever: Gooooood grief. :) 2...Nf6 "is probably the refutation of the whole system", but 2.Qh5 isn't junk? O-kay....

As for your other comments, they may or may not be harsh, but they are false. Anyway, if there's something specific you want to see, there's the "Ask Dennis a question" thread.

http://www.thechessmind.net

Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Damn! 744 viewings! I wonder if that's a record?

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
This video did in fact knock curtains off the top of the All Time Most Viewed video chart, which is even more impressive because one must be registered to view this video.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Inskeep- if it helps, I still don't know who you are! :D

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1611
Pft, Indiana state champ state shmamp! He only plays in Indiana cause he is afraid of us Ohio boys :D Just kidding, good job winning the title. Maybe someday I can add you to the list of state champions I got lucky and beat in blitz (now stands at 3). I'm playing a 4 round swiss tomorrow against a bunch of higher rated players who are mostly 400 pts or so higher than me, hopefully someone busts out 2. Qh5!? and I can remember more than Just Nf6 and Be7, and actually make a game of it!

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 pm
Rook

RAU4ever wrote:
On another point, I personally do not watch your videos often and actually this is why: what's the point in making a video about how you beat someone that played 2. Qh5? I mean, you're an FM, you have lots of experience, you have even more knowledge about general ideas in chess! But, regretfully imho, you just show interesting, often super-complicated, games, but nothing more. I hope you will not view this as harsh criticism, cause it's not meant that way (it's just not my cup of tea). But as I was going to comment on the content of the video anyway, I thought I would just add that personally I'd think more strategical content (like use of the open-file, bishoppair, outposts etc. etc.) would have been nicer than something about the 2. Qh5 'junk' :).
I think, or it seems to me, that Mr M. is the type of player that likes, shall we say, "sharp"(?) positions - Sicilians, dynamic positions, etc. So that's going to show up a lot more in the content he does(?) because it seems to me people gravitate towards the type of stuff they like and it would probably be pretty hard to go against the grain on that. I enjoy his game analysis videos and the analysis is very good quality imo but unfortunately for me it's usually "sharp" stuff and rarely dry, positional games (and the same is true about other posters). I'm not sure, though, if it's even desirable for a chess educator to try and be self effacing in the chess he presents... because a) it's probably impossible for most people and b) that personal expression is part of human play and understanding of the game.

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next