View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Zibbit - Thought on Miscreant's MLS#7 [26:37] 
Video Manager

Post Zibbit - Thought on Miscreant's MLS#7 [26:37]
Poster: Zibbit
Name: FIDE Master Ingvar Thor Johannesson
Federation: ISL
Videos Made: 274
FIDE Rating: 2337
World Rank: 5247
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.92 (12)

Video Tags: endgame positional mistakes tactics

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: detroitman, katar, cynima, GorgonianFICS, Fox, Flea, Bullrock, FlintEastwood, combover, wintermute, kamus, gentlewhisper, eimaj, plavitch

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:10 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: Zibbit - Thought on Miscreant's MLS#7 [26:37]
Well the title was supposed to be "thoughts" but whatever I guess ;-)

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Rook

Of course people in lower rating ranges play moves that are unnecessary. Of course they don't understand why they make the moves they make. Anything you understand is easy and everything you don't understand is hard. I don't see the point in saying if you make silly moves then it shows you don't understand what you are doing. I'm in the lower rating ranges and I don't understand very much about chess at all. I doubt I will ever become a master in chess, but it's still a fun game to play.

With that said, I must say that it is really helpful to hear a strong chess player's thoughts on a game. Thank you for taking the time to make this video, it is really appreciated and valuable.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:00 pm
Knight

Love the analysis of an amateur game. Very instructive. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Bullrock wrote:
Of course people in lower rating ranges play moves that are unnecessary. Of course they don't understand why they make the moves they make. Anything you understand is easy and everything you don't understand is hard. I don't see the point in saying if you make silly moves then it shows you don't understand what you are doing. I'm in the lower rating ranges and I don't understand very much about chess at all. I doubt I will ever become a master in chess, but it's still a fun game to play.

With that said, I must say that it is really helpful to hear a strong chess player's thoughts on a game. Thank you for taking the time to make this video, it is really appreciated and valuable.

Thanks.

I don't remember if I said silly moves (and it was never meant to be derogatory) and I think you misunderstood or I did't articulate it especially well but my point especially with the ...h6 type move that Katar commented in on another video is that we should learn WHY the moves are made, not just learn the opening theory like a parrot. I myself forget most of the stuff in like 2-3 months if I don't refresh it and I am sure it's the same for this rating range. So learning the ideas is much more important than just learning the moves.

Also the h3 and a3 type moves aren't really to do with understanding...it's typical "seeing ghosts" type of moves, they want to prevent something that's never a danger in the first place and doesn't need to be prevented.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
So basically Zibbit is saying the Najdorf 5...a6 is rubbish. :lol: (j/k, obv)

@Bullrock, recognizing one's own "silly" mistakes is the key to making massive leaps of improvement. I thought Zibbit was totally diplomatic about everything in this video.

Zibbit is a natural teacher and clearly the most generous chess master i have ever heard of! How is it that a strong FIDE Master (2 IM norms) takes the time to produce a free, personal tutorial video for the benefit of an amateur Class player. Usually a person has to pay $50+ for such a thing. Really incredible, and a showcase of the best aspects of CV.tv. :santa:

EDIT: Wow, cool fortress at the end-- wasn't expecting that!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Here's what I think -- and I know you're all on pins and needles waiting to hear what I think.

Whenever a chess author/authority makes a declarative statement, he should follow it up with a "because" clause.

For example:

"White should have played his other Rook to the d-file." Because ....?

"In my opinion, Nd5 is more to the point." Because ....

"5.a3 is simply a wasted tempo." Because ....

"And White's Nd5 is better than Black's Nc4" Because ....

Too many chess authors stop short for the amateur player.

(Dan Heisman, on the other hand, is the other extreme. He tends to overexplain. But I'd rather have too much explanation than too little.)

Okay. Back to the pub. Thank you for listening.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:20 pm
Knight

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
This is a great video. Thank you for doing this!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:32 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Prospero wrote:
Here's what I think -- and I know you're all on pins and needles waiting to hear what I think.

Whenever a chess author/authority makes a declarative statement, he should follow it up with a "because" clause.

For example:

"White should have played his other Rook to the d-file." Because ....?

"In my opinion, Nd5 is more to the point." Because ....

"5.a3 is simply a wasted tempo." Because ....

"And White's Nd5 is better than Black's Nc4" Because ....

Too many chess authors stop short for the amateur player.

(Dan Heisman, on the other hand, is the other extreme. He tends to overexplain. But I'd rather have too much explanation than too little.)

Okay. Back to the pub. Thank you for listening.

Thanks for your input prospero, do I explain too little or too much? Just tell it like it is, I'd like to improve as a teacher!

Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I am humbled and overjoyed that you would take a look at my game and provide your analysis. Thank you. Like a good student should, I will relate what I have learned from this presentation:

1) That fortress in the endgame. I did not see that idea at all, and I certainly would have tried it - but I didn't know that pattern. I certainly do now!
2) Don't become fixated on one idea. My Nc2 trading away my strong pieces was part of a calculation I had after QxQ+ KxQ and Nc2 discovers check, which naturally didn't work. In the actual game position it was a terrible move - but I couldn't "see" anything else. I should always be re-evaluating my position, particularly when the board situation changes drastically.
3) I need to train my tactical vision - badly.
4) Have a really good reason to move the pawns in front of my king. I actually knew this one - but it helps to have it reinforced.
5) Look to see where knights can eventually end up via their "paths". This is something that I don't do, but should.

Some comments about some decisions that I made during the game, but didn't probably didn't relate during the commentary:

I knew the ending was dead lost with the passed pawns on both sides of the board. I guess I figured I could draw once the b-pawn fell, but I made a careless move in pursuit of a winning position. I also recognized how terrible my position was as a result of my odd opening play. I figured that I'd have time to play c6-c5 at some time. I thought my opponent played really well, though - and if he were better at endgames, then he would have won easily. I will admit that my study of endgames is probably what has added a couple of hundred ratings points on FICS.

For what it's worth, I thought you explained it just right. I will be spending quite some time here thinking about the things you have said, and I feel that to improve as a chessplayer, I might need to have to figure out why you say something is the way it is, rather than having it explained. That might not work for everybody, though. I do learn a lot from your videos, though.

Again, thank you for doing this. I'm glad that the game that I played allowed for some instructive moments to be shared with the chess community here, and I'm doubly glad that you took the time to share those points with us.

Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:12 pm
Knight

Zibbit wrote:
do I explain too little or too much?

You're actually pretty good. Better than curtains in that regard, IMO. But if you keep that thought in mind, it might be helpful to future viewers. Of course it's possible to go too far. I remember Chernev's book "Logical Chess: Move by Move" or something like that. After the 30th explanation why 1.e4 is a good move, I stopped listening.

Now that I think about it, Dennis M is also achieves a pretty good balance when explaining non-obvious moves. And the best teacher I've ever had was an FM rated ~2300. Maybe experienced FMs are generally about the right level to teach to players ~1600-2000.

GMs know a lot, of course, but sometimes they get caught up in rattling off variations faster than I can keep up.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Great stuff-thanks!

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Simply love it ..just for the fact that you (FM) took some time to quicly go over an amateurs game :D
Showing that fortress was especially interesting.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:44 am
Profile ICQ
Knight

Rating: 1950ish
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
your definitely a good teacher, zibbit... this is excellent... I definitely would not have seen that fortress
idea with the knight on f5 right away... i need to work on my endgames.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:13 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Best part: Explaining why he has to get all the short-sighted thoughts of the pawn sac he contemplated out of his head, especially that huge pawn.

Worst part: within the 9 minute you moved white B3 to protect B2, when thoughts of a blockade/development with Qc2 works with the bishop move, otherwise chasing the Queen the move before just played into his hands asking the Queen to create a threat, pawns to advance.. . then again it's late.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next