View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Mousetrap Gambit I (Naselwaus) [30:23] 
Video Manager

Post Mousetrap Gambit I (Naselwaus) [30:23]
Poster: kamus
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 219
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (3)

Video Tags: Das Naselwaus Mousetrap Gambit Owen's Defense ridiculous openings unsound gambits

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: dewetha, FlintEastwood

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:07 am
Rook

Rating: 1250
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
Post Re: kamus - Naselwaus.mov [30:23]
kamus, that was a great intro to that opening. Thanks, I might have to fire it up if given the chance in a blitz game or two.

~Mike

Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:38 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Haha, you did pretty well with the pronunciation. Bücker sounds like bücken.

This line looks reasonable to me, I'm surprised. ;)

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Looks like a lot of fun for White, hope I get the chance to play it some day. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Thanks for watching all.

Steve, yes this line would be perfect for your dope smokin' series 8)

Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Ooohhhh! Great idea! Have to break into the stash and find willing opponents!
Image Image Image

Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My friend, Brian Wall informs me, to my embarrassment, that I refer to him as"Bill Wall" on the video. This is obviously incorrect, though they are both US masters who have published books on unusual openings.

In addition to being a Chessville columnist http://www.chessville.com/Wall/index.htm, Brian has an website, http://www.walverine.com/ and a yahoo group, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BrianWallChess/ where he shares his unorthodox games along with his equally unorthodox and often hilarious annotations.

Bill Wall is a sort of Renaissance Man and you find ample evidence of that at his website: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... /chess.htm

Both gentleman are worthy of your time and investigation.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

The quickest win with the Mousetrap Gambit yet. Victory was achieved via exploiting the classic resultant light square weaknesses in the black position and my opponent forgetting to calculate at some point :)

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
King

kamus wrote:
My friend, Brian Wall informs me, to my embarrassment, that I refer to him as"Bill Wall" on the video. This is obviously incorrect, though they are both US masters who have published books on unusual openings.

In addition to being a Chessville columnist http://www.chessville.com/Wall/index.htm, Brian has an website, http://www.walverine.com/ and a yahoo group, http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BrianWallChess/ where he shares his unorthodox games along with his equally unorthodox and often hilarious annotations.

Bill Wall is a sort of Renaissance Man and you find ample evidence of that at his website: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/ ... /chess.htm

Both gentleman are worthy of your time and investigation.

until seeing this post just now i had thought they were the same person.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 2182
Thanks kamus. A few comments.

First, it was great to hear about Basman again, I hadn't thought of him for many a year! The guy was a true eccentric (well, still is, I think he's still with us!). Famous mostly for opening with rook pawns but also for things like not wearing socks (am I imagining that? it could have been another eccentric chess player, there's no shortage!). I had the privilege of playing him once in a rapid event they used to hold every month in London. I've got this memory of sitting down playing 1e4 knowing full well that I was going to get hit with 1 ..h6 and 2..g5, whatever I did, because that's just what he was into at the time and he played it against everyone. It was a lot less amusing due to the fact that I knew I was going to get crushed however I replied :) Anyway since all this was around 1989 or something, my memory may not be completely reliable!

On this gambit, I can't for the life of me understand why people are playing ..f6. What's wrong with ..h6? Why voluntarily block up your kingside development, and moreover it's nice to get h7 for the bishop right?

Oh and one last thing, the fact that Schiller hates it is of course a strong recommendation as we all know :)

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

AdamISZ wrote:
Thanks kamus. A few comments.

First, it was great to hear about Basman again...

On this gambit, I can't for the life of me understand why people are playing ..f6. What's wrong with ..h6? Why voluntarily block up your kingside development, and moreover it's nice to get h7 for the bishop right?

Oh and one last thing, the fact that Schiller hates it is of course a strong recommendation as we all know :)

Thanks for the comments Adam. I would have been thrilled to be crushed by Basman (were those the Islington tournaments, by any chance?) I talked to him a couple of times on the phone and we exchanged emails but I never got to meet him. I believe he is still playing occasionally though these days he apparently likes c5 and f5 against everything with black :)

As for h6, I agree, it seems an eminently sensible move and I'm pretty sure I have some games and analysis from Buecker on this move. I should probably do a follow-up video on this line as listening to this old video, I am struck at how much frothy blather I managed to pad out the 30 mins with. These days, I prefer to get to point and include more information. I still think the line is interesting and as far as I know, there hasn't been a refutation yet, though I expect one someday.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Do it, Kamus! Do it!

It would be good to see an example of h6, so if you get the chance... Image

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
King

Rating: 1810
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Interesting line. Regardless of how sound it is, this video was instructive in that I learned a new type of gambit - or at least, a kind deflection gambit in a way I'd never seen before. Thanks for the idea! You can be sure now I'll use this idea loads of times in completely the wrong context and lose a load of games :D

f6 looks like a patzer move though, I'm suprised you saw it so often. Is there a particular reason that black plays like that? I mean, the white squared bishop may not be as good on h7 as f7, but that's a small price to pay for keeping the kingside free, and on h7 it hits the c2 pawn as well.

Looking at this line though, my assesment would be that it's dangerous for white. Surely if black plays h6, Bh7 and castles kingside then his apparant light squared weakness on the queenside doesn't count for much? And if white really wants to go for the attack he has to castle right into the semi-open c file, which is even more dangerous with a bishop on h7.

All in all I think it's an attractive looking line with the idea of trapping the bishop, but all I see is problems for white if black stays tight at the back and develops properly.

Thanks again for the vid!

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:57 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm working on a follow up video with ...h6 and I'll talk about that. Surprisingly, f6 is the most popular choice among both strong players (i.e. masters) and Houdini. h6 is the better move according to Buecker but White also seems to do quite well. As of a few years ago, when Buecker wrote his article on the gambit, 18 high level games had been played: 16 wins for white with 1 draw and 1 loss. Computers seem to think that White has full or close to full compensation after acceptance of the gambit. I originally thought that a direct refutation had to be in the offing but now after playing it some more and doing analysis with engines, I'm beginning to think that Black may need to decline this gambit. It's a likely to remain a sideline however since there are proven ways for White to demonstrate an advantage against Owen's Defense using traditional approaches. It's definitely a fun line to play- I'm just sorry more people don't play Owen's Defense. :)

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]