View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Curtains video request thread 
Pawn

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Curtains video request thread
Sure.

1. Using ChessBase - how _you_ do it, how you study with it, etc. I'm particularly interested in this code system you've worked out for positional motifs, as discussed in the article on the Charlotte Chess School piece.

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/11362/141/

2. More generally, how do you study things besides openings? Maybe something like you looking at complex rook endings would be interesting. Or how do you understand prophylaxis?

3. What kinds of lessons do you do at the Chess Schools? A video on that kind of topic would be swell.

Basically my thinking is this - the real value for someone like me is in listening to how you think as you're analyzing. The evaluation exercise videos are fantastic in this regard. (I've started doing the same thing on my own, with the approval of my teacher.) I'd like to get in your head a little more, and in ways or positions that might not appear in a 5-minute or even tournament game.

Now, maybe you're already doing this since I've only seen the free blitz vids and the early parts of the free tournament games. But I noticed there hadn't been a post in this forum in a long time, and I'd been thinking about this, so...

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:02 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
A lot of these things are already sprinkled in many of the videos I've made. Most of my serious study is done using Dvoretsky's books right now....

I'm still not 100% sure what type of video you are looking for. One thing I will note is that generally I try to ensure that my videos are useful for not just the purchaser, but for myself also. I don't make very much money on them, and so it's not worth the money to just make videos for only the fans, especially when I'm trying to spend every second possible to get better at chess. So when I play blitz games, or go over my tournament games....I get to learn something too, I get to rehash a tournament game that has important lessons in it and so forth.

If I just give a random ChessBase tutorial, it's certainly a waste of my time, and so the only question is whether or not I will make enough money to make it worth my while (probably the answer is no). Of course I appreciate my many loyal viewers so if there is enough wild demand for something that won't take an enormous amount of time, I'll probably go ahead and do it.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:46 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

I understand. I'm not sure that I'm entirely clear on what I'm looking for, but basically it'd be something like what you might do at the Chess School. I've also always wondered how strong players make use of ChessBase, how they keep / organize databases, train using the program, prepare for specific opponents, etc. (The part about your special collection of positional examples was particularly interesting. Did you create a special key? Is it just codes in the tournament or source area like van der Heijden did in his studies database?)

I can certainly see that this might not be worthwhile to you, and in fact, the evaluation videos are already kind of what I was looking for. But maybe if other people were interested in similar sorts of things... (speak up people!)

Anyway, thanks for responding to my questions, thanks for the videos, and good luck with the comeback!

[Also, what happened to the interview with you here at cv.tv? There's no link to it in the thread at this point.]

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:28 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback. I created a special key, yes.

I have no idea where the interview is...someone link it please :)

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:02 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5841

not playable at the moment, really more of an issue for the omnipotent Admin

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:08 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Hi Curtains,

any idea when you are going to play your next tournament? Love them!

Best regards

Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:42 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Not 100% sure yet, in total study mode right now :) Thanks for the kind words!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:42 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Hmmm maybe the Reykjavik Open??
http://skaksamband.is/?c=webpage&id=490/

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah if I do play that was one of my candidates, but not sure I might just keep hunkering down and studying hardcore....but anything is possible :)

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:46 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Seeing you play in Iceland would be awesome!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 2100
Post Charity not Shahade?
Hey Greg, hey curtains-fans,

I have been watching quite a few videos of you lately. So here is a request for you and us, the fans.

I think that the proceedings of these videos should go to Charity instead of Shahade. Let me explain.

I just watched one of your older videos and it was - as always - quite entertaining. And you were ranting nicely. This type of rant is precisely what makes you quite entertaining. You were talking about how you had choosen to make the new videos pay per view.

At first I thought, sure whatever, that is fine with me. (Even though I am quite annoyed about beeing greeted as a "poor person" in every other of your free videos, but what the heck). Your videos, your rules, right?

As you were ranting on, I changed my mind though. I see no point in transferring money from me to you. And I think your videos compare with the youtube videos of video game cracks. The ones that post there are the best players of whatever game they play, and you are among the best players of the game you play. Both are fun to watch, but I would not pay to watch them, nor should I to see you play.

Now don't get me wrong, the videos are super entertaining, because of your personality. This mix of arrogance and true passion for the game is great stuff to listen to. Plus it's always nice to see someone say random things. And as a bonus, I might learn something.

But instinctivly, I have choosen not to buy any of your videos, and I would now - after some thought - strongly encourage others to rather give the money they spend on your videos (or a fraction hereof) to charity, and also give some to the chessvideo.tv site, as they actually have costs running this site.

Here are my five main reasons.
  • One, you are a sucessful poker professional, making tens of thousands of dollars so you don't seem to need any financial support. You even brag about taking 10 grand for chess lessons from poker players.
  • Two, by making these videos - you already profit in many ways. Your chess improves too, because you take your blitz games more seriously as you might, if you played them without commentary. You increase how well known you are, which in turn increases your value as a brand. Popularity, man!
  • Three, you don't read or prepare for your videos, you make them on the fly - basically you didn't do extra work for them, so you lose nothing.
  • Four, quite important: your videos have sentimental value, not so much product value and you should be happy about that. People love to watch your videos dispite the fact, that they don't contain much "deep chess knowledge". They like them because of you.
  • Five, most important: If we - the chessvideo watchers give the money we would spend on your videos to Charity and let's say 10% for maintaining this site up and running, we would all do some good in our communities.

Greets Fab

post scriptum: Now I know, that you will strongly disagree with (especially) the fourth point. But hear me out because there is an exception. I agree that it has value to be able to get a glimpse into a masters mind the way you make it possible. But after - lets say 10-15 videos I got the picture. That doesn't mean that it would be worthless - from a chess-learning point of view - to watch more but it is certainly less effective then to read a book or watch lessons by someone who has actually prepared for the lecture. Because this is reliable information. And reliable information in a struktured format is hard work to create, and should be rewarded financially.

In your rant you said that you would much rather see a lecture by Garry Kasparov playing blitz, then a actual training video from him. You said that opening videos were worthless sh.. that everyone - master or not - could produce with Crafty. But you seem to have changed you mind on that one, as you have made some opening lectures, of which I have seen one (which could in fact have used a bit more prep).

A video by, lets say, Jess Kraai, Dennis Monok., Leonid Kritz or Dana Mackenzie is good and worth money because it has to things entertaining host and reliable information. A video by you ist great, because it has entertainment value. Its

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:44 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

I don't play poker anymore, haven't for almost a year. Also the 10k figure you got is untrue, not sure where you got it from or maybe I misspoke during the video. I am a 100% chess professional and obviously I don't make a lot of money these days. There is zero chance I would continue to make videos if I was not being compensated for them given that this is my job and comprises a relatively decent percentage of my income.

Thanks for all the kind words though!

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Hey, since this is the request thread- what happened to the Zibbit-Curtains match that was mentioned some time ago? At that earlier time, both players were amenable. I know this matchup would be highly popular here and people would shell out credits to both players for such an encounter.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 am
Profile WWW
King

G/5. Best of 7. Dual commentaries. Make it happen fellas.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 am
Profile WWW
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Faber12321 wrote:
Hey Greg, hey curtains-fans,

I have been watching quite a few videos of you lately. So here is a request for you and us, the fans.

I think that the proceedings of these videos should go to Charity instead of Shahade. Let me explain.

I just watched one of your older videos and it was - as always - quite entertaining. And you were ranting nicely. This type of rant is precisely what makes you quite entertaining. You were talking about how you had choosen to make the new videos pay per view.

At first I thought, sure whatever, that is fine with me. (Even though I am quite annoyed about beeing greeted as a "poor person" in every other of your free videos, but what the heck). Your videos, your rules, right?

As you were ranting on, I changed my mind though. I see no point in transferring money from me to you. And I think your videos compare with the youtube videos of video game cracks. The ones that post there are the best players of whatever game they play, and you are among the best players of the game you play. Both are fun to watch, but I would not pay to watch them, nor should I to see you play.

Now don't get me wrong, the videos are super entertaining, because of your personality. This mix of arrogance and true passion for the game is great stuff to listen to. Plus it's always nice to see someone say random things. And as a bonus, I might learn something.

But instinctivly, I have choosen not to buy any of your videos, and I would now - after some thought - strongly encourage others to rather give the money they spend on your videos (or a fraction hereof) to charity, and also give some to the chessvideo.tv site, as they actually have costs running this site.

Here are my five main reasons.
  • One, you are a sucessful poker professional, making tens of thousands of dollars so you don't seem to need any financial support. You even brag about taking 10 grand for chess lessons from poker players.
  • Two, by making these videos - you already profit in many ways. Your chess improves too, because you take your blitz games more seriously as you might, if you played them without commentary. You increase how well known you are, which in turn increases your value as a brand. Popularity, man!
  • Three, you don't read or prepare for your videos, you make them on the fly - basically you didn't do extra work for them, so you lose nothing.
  • Four, quite important: your videos have sentimental value, not so much product value and you should be happy about that. People love to watch your videos dispite the fact, that they don't contain much "deep chess knowledge". They like them because of you.
  • Five, most important: If we - the chessvideo watchers give the money we would spend on your videos to Charity and let's say 10% for maintaining this site up and running, we would all do some good in our communities.

Greets Fab

post scriptum: Now I know, that you will strongly disagree with (especially) the fourth point. But hear me out because there is an exception. I agree that it has value to be able to get a glimpse into a masters mind the way you make it possible. But after - lets say 10-15 videos I got the picture. That doesn't mean that it would be worthless - from a chess-learning point of view - to watch more but it is certainly less effective then to read a book or watch lessons by someone who has actually prepared for the lecture. Because this is reliable information. And reliable information in a struktured format is hard work to create, and should be rewarded financially.

In your rant you said that you would much rather see a lecture by Garry Kasparov playing blitz, then a actual training video from him. You said that opening videos were worthless sh.. that everyone - master or not - could produce with Crafty. But you seem to have changed you mind on that one, as you have made some opening lectures, of which I have seen one (which could in fact have used a bit more prep).

A video by, lets say, Jess Kraai, Dennis Monok., Leonid Kritz or Dana Mackenzie is good and worth money because it has to things entertaining host and reliable information. A video by you ist great, because it has entertainment value. Its

This is what's wrong with people in current society.

This post reeks of entitlement. You accept that the videos are entertaining but you declare that you don't want to pay for them. You think that just because the video isn't a structured 2 hour lecture that it should be free. you're an imbecile

Greg has been the most important contributor to the site producing hundreds of hours of quality content and it is only fair that he should be reimbursed for his time. As for him losing nothing, Surely you realise making a blitz video isn't the best way to train but he still does it.

You also state that you have gained all you can from the videos and that you understood the mind of a master after 10 videos. Clearly you understood nothing as it takes a lot more than watching a few blitz games to truly know what is going on. Furthermore you state that you still learn from his videos, a direct contradiction to your other point. Personally I have watched hundreds of his videos and I am still learning from them, but still only understand <10% of what it means to be a master. This is not the fault of Greg, it just takes talent and a load of hard work to get to that level. How would I understand that level from 1 hour of videos. You are not truly watching them if you think they have no value

Also how is Greg's poker success relevant? "you already have a salary therefore i'm not paying you for additional content."
That is the most ridiculous argument I have heard.

Your point about giving money to the community to run the site, if Greg gets no money from it the motivation to post videos goes down and the site loses traffic and therefore advertising revenue which harms the site. You are a short sighted moron.

In conclusion I don't care if you watch greg's videos. I love them and will continue to watch them, however it angers me when you make a post bad mouthing the quality of one of chessvideos most important figures. Despite the fact he has contributed hours of content full of lessons and humour. what have you done except post moronic entitled posts. Stay off this site if this is all you're going to contribute.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next