View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
thgibbs - Creating a winning ending [9:27] 
Video Manager

Post thgibbs - Creating a winning ending [9:27]
Poster: thgibbs
Videos Made: 5
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.60 (5)

Video Tags: botvinnik connected passed pawns endgame rook

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: combover

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:05 am
Knight

:idea: What I like so much about this approach is that it begins at the moment the players has the vision of the idea or the motif. I've read books that give annotation of entire games, and books that give annotation of endgame themes. This approach, however, give us the "vision" of creation. This was very educational -- learning how to create a motif. It's not enough to just know how to execute a motif -- you must also learn to build a plan. Alexander Kotov would have enjoyed this lesson. You are thinking like a grandmaster.

There are two points that I think are important that were implied in the video, but not directly addressed.

:!: Rb5 established the key position for white. Later you said "this position supports itself." This self-supporting position is the key to a rook and two pawns endgames. If the enemy king is in front of the pawns then your king may have to participate, but if the enemy king is to the side, distant, or behind the pawns then the position will indeed suppor itself against the enemy rook. Absolutely beautiful!!

:!: You did not state the reason for white push to h4 directly. It was to annex space, and to create a path for the white king to travel using his pawn on g2 as a shield. Later you did mention the king used this path, but it is important to realize that white created this path with this move.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Rook

Great points. Another thing I forgot to mention was that white's Ke3 not only centralized the king, but also threatened to move the king to the queenside where he would win the a pawn by force while protecting the b pawn with the rook. Therefore black's kingside action was forced.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Endgame Virtuoso

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:41 pm
Knight

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:25 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Knight

Thank you. :)

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 am
Profile ICQ
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Thanks for the video! Good stuff. A big part of this game seems to be the rook activity. Black's rook is just very passive, and it is a chronic problem throughout the ending.

I liked your explanation about the possible position after Rxa5 and Rxb3. I think the key reason white can't win there is activity. This, coupled with the assessment of the position earlier shows just how important activity is in these rook endgames.

I liked the finesses white uses to activate his king. But, black manages to get some counterplay by activating his rook. I'm starting to sound like a broken record :)

Very nice endgame, and great analysis.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:42 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating: 1615
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: thgibbs - Creating a winning ending [9:27]
after kc7 you can just get a queen
not that it mathers or something just so you know

good video

Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:05 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: thgibbs - Creating a winning ending [9:27]
Nice vid. Too few vids on endgames and this was a nice addition in that regard, I didn't notice it till now.

I would rather call this converting a winning endgame (or a promising endgame at least) since white is already a pawn up with a strong rook on the 7th.

White seemed to show good technique here and good patience as many players might just have snapped up the a-pawn for the b-pawn and made life much more difficult for themselves.

Like how you point out how the a+b pawns can take care of themselves and I also have a little bit about that late in my 1st pattern recognition video: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2484

Ingvar

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]