View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Crash's Journal 
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 2183 CFC
Rating Class: National Master
Post Re: Crash's Journal
JoshSpecht wrote:
Sounds like you're on a much-deserved chess break. I agree that books of exercises and short problems, like Van Perlo's book, are great for situations like that. You mentioned how you have a couple chess books out from the library...does your library have a lot of chess books? I think that's really cool, since I've never been to a library that had more than 3 or 4 chess books that were more than 30 years old and written from absolute beginners.

There are a few books resident in my local library (maybe ten and one or two books on cd or tape (Immortal Game and one beginner's book) but most of the chess books are spread out over the county-wide system. There are probably 100 books across the whole system but many are old or already owned by me. You can reserve books across the whole system and they will deliver them to the local library. I recently took a hold off of MCO-15 because I sprung for my own copy before it became available from the library but there is a copy at the library office which hasn't been put into circulation yet. They have Nunn's Chess Openings, three copies of MCO-14 if I am reading it correctly and a number of other books, most of which I already own. The books that I have out are Kasporov's recent book "How Life Imitates Chess: Making The Right Moves - From The Board To The Boardroom" (which they had out on display in the new books section) and Neil McDonald's recent book "Chess Planning After The Opening". My suspicion is that somewhere in the system is a chessplayer making the decisions on which books to buy. They also had Muller and Lamprecht's Fundamental Chess Endings and Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual if I am not mistaken but again I have those on my own shelf.

Fri May 16, 2008 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Rating: 1441
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Have you tried using InterLibrary Loan? Using our library website and worldcat, I am able to request chess books from all over. The only downside really is that you can't renew them so your time with the book is very limited.

Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

I believe that there is a form of interlibrary loan available in Canada but I haven't really looked into it because I tend to pick up my own copy of most of the topical chess books which interest me.

Fri May 16, 2008 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Crash wrote:
I believe that there is a form of interlibrary loan available in Canada but I haven't really looked into it because I tend to pick up my own copy of most of the topical chess books which interest me.

I tend to buy them as well. It drives my wife nuts. :) I have mostly used it to track down out of print books.

Fri May 16, 2008 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

snits wrote:
Crash wrote:

I tend to buy them as well. It drives my wife nuts. :) I have mostly used it to track down out of print books.

I find that places like Ebay, Amazon.com and the booksellers at tournaments are also pretty good for finding certain out of print books. The nice thing is that you can often get them pretty cheap compared to the newer books.

I recently snagged a copy of Euwe and Kramer's "Road to Chess Mastery" which was one of the great books that started me off after reading it at the Windsor Public Library when I was twelve or thirteen. I got it at a Canadian tournament but I could have got it from amazon as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Chess-Master ... 310&sr=8-1

Fri May 16, 2008 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

I am a big fan of half.com (eBay site) and bookfinder.com . I have grabbed a lot of out of print books through them. My best find so far is a paperback edition of Averbakh's Chess Tactics for Advanced Players for about $25. I ended up giving that to a co-workers son since I have a copy of the hardcover edition. I have seen copies of it listed for $160 or higher. I find lots of books that I am looking for pretty cheap on these sites.

Fri May 16, 2008 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

I really wonder sometimes when I see those books list in the $100+ range. For a while Tisdall's "Improve Your Chess Now" was unavailable and they were asking for some such obscene price. They must have reprinted it. When I did finally get a copy I picked up a new copy for under $20.

These days it isn't difficult to find very good chess books. The problem is finding the time to actually read them once you get them.

Fri May 16, 2008 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

I played in a four round team tournament with a time control of 20 minutes with a 20 second increment. I played with the other two surviving members of my original team from the 1990s including Ray a FIDE master, Brian an expert and former master who has been teaching in Belleville along with Alan, a Windsor expert, and the magic was still there. We won all four matches, and were rewarded with trophies and cash.

In the last round I played an opponent that beat me twice in a recent double round robin tournament (an OTB Canadian master). He played the Modern defense and I played a Samisch pawn structure against it. He tried to save some tempi by playing Ne7 instead of Nf6 (as in the King's Indian) and getting f5 in with a quicker kingside attack but it didn't work out very well for him. I played an early g4 and captured twice on f5 with pawns and then captured his bishop with my bishop and my knights started drifting towards his king and taking up residence in the holes created in his position. My pieces washed down on his king like the inevitable tide rolling in.

I played very well with three wins and one loss in my individual games.

Next tournament is a four round 60 minutes sudden death event next weekend. Hopefully I can stay on a roll.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Here is a decisive final round game which helped give Windsor the win in the Kitchener Waterloo team championship yesterday. My opponent a long time Canadian master had trounced me in two recent games and so I entered the game with the desire for redemption. Our team needed a tie to win the championship outright. A loss might have thrown us into a three way tie for first. The time control was 20 minutes with a 20 second increment per move. The game was a Modern Defense Averbach variation which I played in a fashion similar to the white side of a King's Indian defense Samisch variation.

[Event "KW Team Ch"]
[Site "Kitchener City Hall"]
[Date "2008.06.21"]
[Round "4"]
[White "Crash"]
[Black "NN"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "A42d"]
[EventDate "2008.06.21"]

1. d4 g6
2. c4 Bg7
3. Nc3 d6
4. e4 c6
5. f3 e5
6. d5 c5

{The pawn has taken two moves to reach c5. In a similar line in the Samisch King's Indian Defense the lost tempo shifts the balance from a game with chances on both sides to a clear white advantage. Black hopes to save a couple of tempi by developing the knight to e7 and playing f5 without any additional knight moves.}

7. Bd3

{Clearly black's plan is to play f5 and white should try to inhibit this idea. The d3 bishop may become a target on d3 in these Samisch King's Indian pawn structures and despite its status as a "bad bishop" often white will retreat it and not allow its exchange because of its longer term potential.}

7. ... Ne7
8. g4

{In King's Indian Samisch positions where the knight is on f6 instead of e7, the white player has to be careful of sacrifices on g4 but those possibilities are not a factor in the current position.}

8. ... f5
9. gxf5 gxf5
10. Bg5 O-O
11. Qd2

( 11.exf5 Bxf5 12.Bxf5 Rxf5 13.Qd2 Qf8 14.O-O-O Kh8 )

11. ... a6

{This move takes away an important square for the knight on b8.}

12. O-O-O Bd7

{Another loss of tempo. Presumably black intended to play b5 and this was meant as a means of supporting the pawn push and possibly to exchange this bishop on b5 after a possible bishop recapture on c4. I had no interest in opening any lines on the queenside as often this is highly detrimental to the white monarch.}

13. exf5 Bxf5
14. Bxf5 Rxf5
15. Ne4

{This knight becomes an octupus which dominates the board and makes it impossible for black to develop his queenside pieces without losing material.}

15. ... b5
16. Rf1

{This move may not have been strictly necessary as 16.Qg2 would also protect f3 but at this point I thought that the queen should arrive on g2 with the imminent threat of mate which would not be the case here. The rook does not do much on d1 or f1. This is the only piece that does not play an active role in subsequent operations aside from supporting f3.}
( 16.Qg2 )

16. ... bxc4

{Black wins an irrelevant pawn on c4. Its all downhill from here. White makes a few more natural developing moves and black's position quickly seems to implode.}

17. Ne2 Ra7
18. Rhg1 Kh8
19. N2g3 Rf7
20. Nh5 Bf8
21. Qg2

{After this move, all the actors have arrived on stage and the action comes to a quick climax. Black's problem is that straightforward development of the knight to d7 drops the pawn on d6 and allows the knight on e4 to become an even greater monster than it already is.}

21. ... Nd7

{The game is over. It is difficult to find any defense for black.}

22. Nxd6 Rf5

{Brian Profit, one of my teammates in this event pointed out in our post game analysis, "You know you're in trouble when the best move that you can find gives away a rook for nothing and the alternatives only get worse."}
( 22...Rg7 23.Nxg7 Bxg7
( 23...Qb8 24.Bxe7 Bxe7 25.Nf7+
( 25.Ngf5 Qf8 26.Nxe7 Nf6 27.Ndf5
( 27.Ne4 Rxe7 28.Nxf6 Rg7 29.Qxg7+ Qxg7 30.Rxg7 Kxg7 31.Ne4 )
)
25...Kg8 26.Nh6+ Kf8 27.Ne6+ Ke8 28.Qg8+ Nf8 29.Qf7+ Kd7 30.Nxf8+ Qxf8 31.Qe6+ Kc7 32.Qc6+ Kb8 33.Rg8 Bg5+ 34.Kb1 Bxh6 35.Qd6+ Kb7 36.Rxf8 Bxf8 37.Qxf8 )
24.Nf7+ Kg8 25.Nxd8 )

23. Nxf5

{There are several other ways to bring home the point here.}
( 23.Bxe7 Bh6+ 24.Kb1 Qb8 25.Nxf5 Rb7 26.Nxh6 )
( 23.Nf6 Rxf6 24.Bxf6+ Nxf6 25.Nf7# )
( 23.Bf6+ Rxf6 24.Nxf6 Ng6 25.Nf7+ Kg7 26.Nxd8 Kxf6 27.Qg5+ Kg7 28.h4 e4 29.fxe4 Kh8 30.h5 Nde5
( 30...Ne7 31.Nf7# )
31.Rxf8+ Kg7 32.Qf6+ Kh6 33.hxg6 hxg6 34.Rh1# )

23. ... Qe8
24. Nxe7

( 24.Bxe7 Bh6+ 25.Nxh6 Ra8 26.Qg7# )

24. ... Qxh5
25. Bf6+

( 25.Bf6+ Nxf6 26.Qg8+ Nxg8 27.Rxg8# )

1-0

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Well played Crash! Thanks for sharing. The Bd3 move seems kind of "eh" to me. Though it works great in this game it sort of makes me go "huh?" when I first see it as the Bishop is very bad. Is there any way that Black could play to keep the center closed and your Bishop bad? I can't find it, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's not there.

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:23 am
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Nice game Crash. The attack was just totally crushing. I once faced the Samisch as black in a KID, and white played similarly to how you played. Castling long, attacking on the kingside... I quickly realized I had a much worse position, and thankfully I was able to trade all pieces and end up with an equal endgame.

Here black was just too late with getting his defenses organized. White has more space with the d5-pawn versus black's d6-pawn, and black took too long to develop. His 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th moves all just wasted time, which he should have used to develop his pieces to the kingside where the action was going to take place.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:24 am
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Phobetor wrote:
Nice game Crash. The attack was just totally crushing. I once faced the Samisch as black in a KID, and white played similarly to how you played. Castling long, attacking on the kingside... I quickly realized I had a much worse position, and thankfully I was able to trade all pieces and end up with an equal endgame.

Here black was just too late with getting his defenses organized. White has more space with the d5-pawn versus black's d6-pawn, and black took too long to develop. His 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th moves all just wasted time, which he should have used to develop his pieces to the kingside where the action was going to take place.

Thank you!

I have the feeling that my opponent did not normally play this system but was trying to avoid any prepared surprises on my part against his usual play. One of his teammates is known for his strong handling of this opening for black so I sensed that perhaps this was some hasty preparation which didn't go according to plan.

I did not prepare for my opponent because I had no idea who our opposition was going to be and I made a point of leaving my computer at home thus precluding pregame preparation. I had every reason to play poorly in this game (horrible lack of sleep over the last few days because I just started a new full time job and being unable to sleep the night before the event) but I felt good anyway because I have been working with one of my old teammates again which has inspired me lately. The night before this event I went to the usual training for kids which we have in the summer and when we analysed the children's games afterward I felt very sharp despite being dead tired. In the analysis I kept finding excellent resources. I feel like my old self again.

As for the Samisch type of game, if black is not careful it is easy to drift into a position where white has all the play though it only takes a momentary lapse of concentration and the black pieces can spring into life as I have learned repeatedly.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Robofriven wrote:
Well played Crash! Thanks for sharing. The Bd3 move seems kind of "eh" to me. Though it works great in this game it sort of makes me go "huh?" when I first see it as the Bishop is very bad. Is there any way that Black could play to keep the center closed and your Bishop bad? I can't find it, but that certainly doesn't mean that it's not there.

I think 12...f4 in place of 12... Bd7 would have given me more difficulties though I still have an edge because my pieces can move more freely because of my space advantage and it is hard for the Black dark squared bishop to find a way into the game. That move would have signalled to me that my opponent was trying to draw the game and was not too serious about trying to win. Given my previous poor play against him, he had every reason to go for the full point.

My light squared bishop helps restrain black's queenside activity and can often be activated by going to c2 and then to a4 or alternatively to f1 and then to h3. Often it is the dark squared bishop which is traded for a black knight to set up a good knight bad bishop ending.

To put this game in context, it was a fast time control and our opponents (who would have been the pre-tournament favourites if our team hadn't shown up) needed a win after losing an early match to the team that we defeated in the previous round. My previous play against this opponent and one of his teammates would not really inspire much fear in him. He had every reason to expect another easy win except that he wasn't really playing the same opponent.

I am feeling much better and playing with more confidence so hopefully the losing streaks are behind me now. The opponents who squeezed past me before will have to work harder now. I have beaten the last two masters that I have played. The rust seems to be gone.

Now that I am working I will be able to afford to play in every weekend tournament that I want.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Ahh, thanks for the description Crash. Not familiar with that set up at all. Congrats on the job and good luck on your upcoming games. I look forward to hearing more reports!

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:56 am
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Yesterday I played in the London June Open, a game/60 minutes event. I played reasonably well but finished with 2.5/4 and a share of third place.

The game I lost was in the second round where I was pressing for the win for most of the game but ran out of time. I have to learn my opening theory more completely to be more consistent in this regard.

In the third round I played the Benko Gambit which my opponent accepted. He quickly got into a bad position and I had the knight on d3. I probably missed something that would have led to a quicker kill but need to do a thorough analysis in order to be sure.

The game I drew was in the last round, as white in a Budapest gambit and instead of returning the pawn and getting a slightly better position as I usually do, I decided to try to hang onto the pawn. I got into a fair bit of trouble but managed to wiggle my way out by throwing back the material. In the final position I was slightly worse and my opponent offered a draw. I took about five minutes studying the position before deciding to accept the draw.

My next tournament will probably be next weekend and it will be my first USCF event in about 12 years with another two events coming up two and three weeks after that. I will probably annotate one or two of the games from this weekend and post them as soon as I am able. Now that I am working full time again it really cuts into my chess time (but I am not complaining!).

Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next