View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Dennis M.: Make Small Advantages Count! [55:40] 
Video Manager

Post Dennis M.: Make Small Advantages Count! [55:40]
Register at ChessVideos.TVLogin to ChessVideos.TV
Poster: Initiative
Name: FIDE Master Dennis Monokroussos
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 269
FIDE Rating: 2281
World Rank: 9257
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.39 (23)

Video Tags: Gruenfeld Defence Magnug Carlsen Pavel Eljanov positional play

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Katumbela, guitarcameron, hms123, FlintEastwood, liriodelagua, sridhar, ~red~dragon~, sfarmer29, sqmorr, LittleEagle, Rasa, spilkler, Dharmabum, jtixs, humsh, Mr.Snrub, guy, BlkSabb, kambodja, blobby12, schleichnaldo, MarkFolgem, blundermaster2, chrisfalter

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:48 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: Dennis M.: Make Small Advantages Count! [55:40]
I think I should start playing d4 :oops: :cyclopsani:

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:26 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1533 USCF
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Very unfocused video. First 15+ min. totally irrelevant to the topic. Giving a bunch of opening theory by parroting some recently published books doesn't make the video more valuable nor does citing a bunch of historical games. I would suggest sticking to the topic and staying focused--lost interest.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:55 am
King

Rating: 1840
ModernElite wrote:
Very unfocused video. First 15+ min. totally irrelevant to the topic. Giving a bunch of opening theory by parroting some recently published books doesn't make the video more valuable nor does citing a bunch of historical games. I would suggest sticking to the topic and staying focused--lost interest.

Looking at critical positions and deviations in the opening is a standard way of analysing a game. These videos are for learning, not just entertainment. Maybe if you were able to focus and actually listened to the opening theory you might learn something. Either that or go back to watching 10 minute JRobi videos on YouTube. ;)

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
ModernElite, how could you say that? First of all, if you think you've wasted 15 mins of your life, then don't waste more by writing it down.

Secondly, remember that these people (Dennis, Sfarmer, Zibbit, curtains) are basically working for us, for free. Not only that, but by helping us understand the game better, they make us *enjoy* it a lot more. And we should be thankful for that.

Lastly, I'm not a moderator, but if you're going to criticize please do it in a constructive, polite way. All the video makers deserve it.

And to you Dennis, and the others, I say: please do not be discouraged from making more videos by comments like modernelite's. You're doing great, and I'm sure me and many others look forward to seeing your videos every week here on chessvideos.tv.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:15 pm
Profile YIM
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Hi guys, saw the notes here and thought I'd add my two cents worth. I cannot speak for Dennis, but perhaps I can shed some light, and Mr. M is always welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

To start off with, Dennis starts off by talking about the recent World Championship match between Boris Gelfand (Challenger) and Vishwanathan Anand. I agree with his thoughts that this was not a very hard fought match. The players in a few cases didn't even bother to get out of theoretical waters before agreeing to draws. By comparison the US Championship was much more exciting to watch IMHO. Hence, the topic, "Make Small Advantages Count!"

ModernElite states "...a bunch of opening theory by parroting some recently published books doesn't make the video more valuable nor does citing a bunch of historical games. I would suggest sticking to the topic and staying focused--lost interest."

Let me shed some light here. In modern chess practice you cannot just read one opening book and show up at a tournament and expect to win the event. The reason Dennis, Zibbit, Curtains and I (among several other excellent posters) put in reference games is because they are indeed germane to the topic in some way. In this topic by Dennis it is how to make a small advantage count, so the relevance of topical games is of the highest priority, you can't build on an advantage without having first gone through the opening work in advance. I am thankful that people include topical reference games in videos, it saves me from having to go look this stuff up on my own (although, being well versed in chessbase, I can review lines I will play in a matter of minutes before the start of the game). But knowing what is shown in current literature is also important. Many people have an affinity for print media for chess, they like to have such books as reference material and make notes in the margins (man! you should see my books on the Sicilian or Kings Indian Defense!). So, being of limited budget, you have book "A" and Dennis also mentions a suggestion in book "B", that is a good point to open your book "A" and make a note in the margin. I think this is an important technique for mid-B class through Expert, below that, just read the books that have clear narrative so you start to understand what each side wants to accomplish.

Quite frankly, I feel that Dennis did a fine job discussing the theory of the opening (i.e., the first 15 minutes or so) and the remainder of the video I thought was well presented. Okay, the R&P endgame part is probably meant for higher levels, but it is what it is.

This brings up a problem for the video poster, exactly who is my target audience? In my own videos, when I cover the US Chess League or the US Championship and such events I am catering my commentary to probably 1700-1900ish crowds. When I cover the US Amateur it is more for people around 1200-1800 or so. The reason for this is that the mistakes that are made in the various rating levels are vastly different. Sure, a GM can blunder away a piece like any of us, but that's not the norm, usually, a GM wins a game because his opponent has one poorly place piece, or a particular fractured pawn structure. At lower levels mistakes are most often from miscalculations or misreading the needs of a position. When doing videos of higher level games, a higher level of dedication is needed to make sure the viewer receives all the information needed to get the most out of the video lesson - and sadly there is no way to make one video good for all playing levels or chess understanding.

I don't play this line with White (I rarely open with 1.d4 anyway). But I was engrossed in the theory of this game (yes, all 18 minutes). For when it came time to play the game, you understand why Carlsen played the opening the way he did, and I'd bet that by point that the players were on their own (out of theory lines) that Magnus probably only used up about 10 maybe 15 minutes on his clock.

I don't feel that ModernElite's comment was meant as mean spirited, it actually sounded like he wanted to offer criticism from his point of view, fair enough. I hope this has shed some light on why these videos are made the way they are, to reach as great of a variety of players as possible in one video.

@ModernElite, I hope that you keep with chess, for the more you learn the more you find there is more to learn. I know it's an over used cliche, the game takes minutes to learn and a lifetime to master, but it's true.

Pizza's here, gotta go!

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating: 2000
Skip the bits you dont like... Im guessing your rating is around 1500 though.
These videos are probably not for you.

Why are the stupid always the loudest?

ModernElite wrote:

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:57 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2180
Very inspiring!

I like now even more to accumulate a lot of very little fishes than to fight for (only...) one big fish.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:02 am
Pawn

Probably the most instructive video I've ever seen. An absolute revelation for me ! Thanks a lot !

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Rook

Rating: 1500
Great video, I enjoyed how Nxd7 or Rxd7 was a critical line because of some endgame position where white queens the epawn just crazy how deep these masters can calculate.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1200
Thank you very much for the video.

I do have to say that I found the video length way too long, but that's coming from a guy who has kids and gets interrupted about every 10 minutes. I think for one single game, 25 to 30 minutes is more than enough for good analysis and pointing out of salient features. Thanks again.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:29 pm
Knight

What happens when black plays 46...Ne5 attacking the g-pawn, instead of 46...b5 ?

That seems like a plausible move IMO

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: FIDE Master
@inguh: 46...Ne5 is bad. It works well against most moves, but if White plays 47.g5 things fall apart immediately.

http://www.thechessmind.net

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

@ 34:00 Dennis suggests Nc6 but isn't Nb5 better in the fact that it threatens Nd6 with a fork on the rooks thereby making the passive move(as Dennis points out you have to search for counter play) to defend the a-pawn al the more tempting?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:12 pm
Pawn

Carlsen is incredible in endgames squeezing the last out of the position - like today against Radjabov in the Tal memorial - exactly the same topic as this video.
I remember a live comment from Gibraltar 2012 - Simon Williams: This game is objectively a draw - only Carlsen would win this - no matter if white or black.
His fighting spirit is phantastic and his positional play reminds strongly to Karpov in his prime.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next