View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Dragos chess journal 
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Post Dragos chess journal
Cheers guys,

my name is Dragos, pretty soon i'll be 29 and I'm from Romania. I've find out about this site from reddit, where I've started a thread, asking for help regarding a study plan for myself.

I've learned the chess rules since I was a small kid but I've never took it seriously. 2 weekends ago I was in a trip with my parents. In the evening I've invited my dad to a chess game. He beat me and I was looking for revenge. After googleing "how to get better at chess" I've found chess.com where I've purchased a premium subscription. And since then the chess bug caught me. All I'm thinking now is chess.

jtixs was kind enough to suggest me this way of keeping record of my progress so I've decided to give it a try.

I have 18 free hours/week for chess, here's how I was advised to divide them

Week days: 45 min tactics on chesstempo.com / 45 min playing/analyzing / 30 min end game study
Weekend days: 4 hour/day book study. Here's a list of books I already have available and plan to read. This weekend I'll be finishing the first one, "Bobby Fischer teaches chess".

My goals are the following:

- 1st month reaching 850 rating on chess.com
- 1 year reaching 1250 level on chess.com
- 2 years reaching 1600 level on chess.com

From there we'll what happens

Feel free to add anything you want

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 pm
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Dragos chess journal
Hey mate glad you found your way here.

I'm glad you found a study play you like. As for your goals rating points aren't that important the most important thing is that you feel like you're improving
and having fun doing it. rating points are just numbers.

Check out the rest of the site including the forum and the videos. the community here is small but helpful and friendly so ask anything you want.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

It's nice to have you here and thanks again for giving me the idea of having a chess journal.

I've did tactics each day for 45 minutes and my chess is improving at a good rate. All I need to do is to pay attention in the games and I feel that I'll make a good progress.

Endgames are very boring at the moment but I know they are very important.

Regarding the rating points, I agree with you, they are just numbers but they represent a good way to track our progress. If the current training program it's not working (the rating is stagnating) you can change it.

I'll stick to this program for the 1st month and see what is happening.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:44 am
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Endgames may be boring to start with, for example king+pawn vs king or looking at "the opposition" but the point is these fundamental principles are needed to get to grips with more complicated end games which are fun to study. furthermore these ideas will save you games, or win you games so take the time to look at them.

Rating points do track progress to an extent, but they shouldn't be your main focus. Also don't expect a linear growth of rating points. There will be periods where your rating doesn't shift but then you will have a breakthrough and improve again.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:57 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

One of the main goals of may chess career was already achieved. Yesterday I beat my dad, twice. As I said above, the main factor that determined me to study chess seriously was that he was beating me 2 weeks ago. Nowadays he still beats me but it's more difficult.

My 30 min games rating on chess.com went high but this is not what makes me happy. I've started to see the game better, to develop the pieces with a purpose, to do only a few blunders and the game became more interesting.

I don't know how to post the pgn here, I had some nice games which I would like to discuss with you

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]