View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Beginner games (game 1) 
Pawn

Rating: 1000
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Post Beginner games (game 1)
Hi,

This is the first game I am posting here. I am quite new to chess started month and a half ago (am 25years old) however totally hooked to chess now. I am black in this game.

my comments on moves are as follows

8. Bxf6 Qa5+ {this was a bad move now I think, giving him a chance to develop his knight}

11. Nb5 O-O {I realized he was threatening Nc7+ winning the rook or Nxd6. I thought about Kd7 preventing both but realized Rd1 would make things very complicated so just castled hanging the pawn. Is there a better move?}

22. Nb7 h6 {I thought he wanted to exchange rooks by Rd8+ followed by Rxd8, Nxd8 threatening Nxe6. I also wanted to end any back rank tricks if possible and wanted to activate my king by moving out}

30. bxc5 Rb8 {This was a blunder, I didnt capture the pawn as I didnt want to exchage bishop with knight as my bishop was well placed but then I was too hasty here}

35. Nc5 * {we decided to draw it}

game pgn:

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Kindly have a look

Regards

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:48 pm
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Beginner games (game 1)
I looked at all the points you mentioned, and then went through the game as a whole looking for some other areas you could improve on. Don't take any of this as criticism. I am in the same boat as you trying to improve and this is a good way of doing it so please keep positing your games.

8...Qa5+ I don't mind Qa5+ personally, white would probably play Nc3 anyway and a5 isn't a horrible square for the queen.
Maybe Better is just Bxf6 and now black has a fine position with two bishops.
Also it is dangerous for white to grab the pawn. Nc3 Bxf6 Qxd6 Be7 Qd2 Bg4. Black has much better development.

11.0-0 I agree with your intuition about Kd7 it doesn't feel right, I see two options. 0-0 as you played or Nd4. 11...Nd4
12. Nc7+ Kd8 13.Nxa8 Nc2 14.Kd1 Nxa1 and black has 2 bishops and better development.
12. Nxd4 exd4 13. Rd1 Kd7
both of these lines are fine for black.

Looking at your option 0-0 it is fine, the idea to punish white for being to materialistic if he grabs the pawn. I don't think you followed up correctly though, Be7 was fine and you put your pieces on good squares but at some point around 14~15 you should have played Nxb5 giving white doubled b pawns.

18...Rxd1 I don't like as it gives white the d file. Bd7 is probably fine. it develops a piece and connects the rooks.Play through a few Bd7 variations and see what you think.

22...h6. Not the best move but it is an odd position. Bd4 is a nice move, it plays against the fact his knight can be trapped in some variations and black can improve his pieces whilst playing against the knight.

26...Bg4? I don't like this move. Black has two bishops and wants to maintain them. This move gives up that advantage and it doubles the black pawns. Black is better before this due to his two bishops, good piece placement and superior pawn structure.

30...Rb8. I see your point not wanting to exchange K for B. The position is unclear. Bxc5 Rc1 Rb8 Rxc5 Rxb7. Kind of annoying.
A nice subtle move is Rc7. Rc7 Nd6 Bxc5. No longer exchaning K and B.

35. not a draw after Bd6!. The knight is pinned and c5 will fall.

Overall I think you played quite well. You opened well and got the 2 bishop advantage. and then the plan of 0-0 to use the better development was good but I wasn't sure you capitalised fully. Rxd1 lost you your advantage. Remember connected rooks and control of the open files is very important. your dark squared bishop on d4 was a great piece you identified that but giving up your light square bishop was a mistake. Nice play afterwards and the blunder with Rb8 was unfortunate but I feel you deserved to win. if someone offers a draw always look to see why. I wasn't aware of the time controls so maybe you just had no time left.

Thanks for the submission keep posting.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Thanks Jtixs,

That was great and very detailed response, really appreciate it!
Please don't bother about your response sounding like criticism and as a matter of fact I was looking for healthy criticism so as to identify all major faults with my game play. Infact I would encourage you to criticize more where you see there is a reason to do so. After all, one can only improve the hard way :)

regarding the game,
I agree 14Nxb5 was a much better move. Not only will white end up with double pawns and have limited development, but 14 Nxb5 15 cxb5 Be6 16 Kb1 (to defend a2 pawn) and 16 Rd8 will be a good and maybe even attacking position for black

23 Bd4 I had played to mainly restrict the activity of his king and plug the open d-file but I didnt even think about trapping the knight! In fact I was a bit nervous of some clever knight fork (and I wasted quite a bit of time during middle game just to check variations of the knight!)

26 Bg6? I agree is an illogical move. I think I should have activated my king at this point. Not doing so was a mistake.

30 Rc7! is a great move and was exactly the kind of move I wanted. But unfortunately I didn't see that.

35 I agree and even I had seen the pin but as you have correctly guessed I had hardly 2 mins left on my clock and he had around 7 mins left. So I accepted the draw as I often make blunders under time pressure in endgame.

Overall, one thing I wanted to know is

When is it the right time to activate the king? he was using his king well while mine was still cramped in a corner waiting to be harassed.
Another point I wanted to know was what kind of plan could I have made? I played with no particular plan and was infact reacting to his gameplay most of the time. What kind of plan could I have made and worked on?

Thanks and Regards

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
A few additional remarks:

It's very important to look for improvements as soon as there are improvements to be found. The earliest mistake is without a doubt 6..e5?!. He wasted a lot of time in the opening, which gives Black a considerable advantage. You should opt for a standard setup with 6..g6 and the fianchetto to control the dark squares. 6..e5?! gives up a lot of flexibility in the centre and inhibits your pieces, losing time in the process.

11..0-0! was excellent in my opinion, other moves seem suboptimal (e.g. 11..Nd4 12. Nxd4 exd4 13. 0-0-0 might be okay for Black, but there's no reason to give White two targets.

13..Rd8 was absolutely necessary. You're down a pawn, so you have to identify the compensation and then try and preserve it. Your compensation is the bishop pair and the pressure you can exert on White's Queen side. 13..Rd8! forces 14. c5 (I hope you see why 14. Nxc8 fails), now the diagonal is open for 14..Be6 and after something like 15. b3 b6, to undermine the knight, it is clear that Black's initiative is preferable. After 13..Nd4?! he should have taken on c8 to alleviate the pressure.

I don't have the time to go through the whole game right now, but, apart from the ending (30..Rb8? and 31..Bd6? gave White a winning position, although the final position is much better for Black, as jtixs pointed out), you didn't make any huge blunders and that must be your top priority right now (eliminating blunders), so good job !

Last edited by Fox on Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 am
Pawn

Thanks Fox,

6 e5?! you are of course right. I think the reason is that I have not studied openings yet. I only know Sicilian as a response to e4 and I realized white's move 2. c4 was not the theoritically the best move. However I didnt know how to make use of it. So I played normal Sicilian move 2. d6 Later After 5. Qd3 is played 5. e5 as I thought I was following the standard principle of taking control of center. But I agree, a fianchetto bishop aiming the queenside is much more useful as I was already expecting white to castle queenside.

11. O-O! good to know this was the right move. At that time it seemed dubious to me as I was hanging the pawn. But then I didnt count in the development lead and initiative benefit to black.

13. Actually I was thinking about Rd1 but then I thought white will reply with c5 and the knight will just sit there. I didnt think it through about the bishop at e6.
also, I can see how 14. Nxc8 fails.
14. Nxc8 Bg5+ 15. Kc2 Nb4 wins the rook for the knight.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:31 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
My mistake: It should be Rd8 (I corrected it), but you got what I meant, fortunately.

Anyway, I wouldn't call 2. c4 a mistake per se, it's just a side system for White (2..d6 was a perfectly sound response.) White's not going to castle queenside, though, with c4 played (it's begging to be exploited for attacking purposes). I'd like to point out again, though, that this shouldn't be your concern right now. Btw feel free to post another game (maybe with a longer time control, if that's doable for you).

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:58 pm
Pawn

Post Re: Beginner games (game 2)
Thanks Fox,
I'll try to play longer games in future.

However, I played another game yesterday. Time limit was 15 mins each. I played black.

My comments

1. This was the first time I played Kings Indian Defence. I had played against Kings Indian recently (correspondence chess), so I had some idea of the moves.

5. a3 0-0 I had no idea why he played a3. I tried to make sense out of it. My fianchetto bishop cannot pin his knight anyway if that was what he was thinking. I simply castled as I couldnt figure out his plan. Does white have any threat that I missed?

6. h3 Nc6 Again? I have no idea of this move. But why would he weaken both queenside and kingside? where is he going to castle? If he is planning a pawn push b4 or g4, why would he push both sides simultaneously? Also I couldnt tell if he is castling kingside or queenside at this moment. But since my dark square bishop aims for queenside I expect him to castle kingside.

7 b4 e5: with b4 i assumed he is attacking queenside. I can handle that but my knight at c6 has no good squares now.

10 Ne2 Ne7: At this point I wanted to reposition my Knight to a better square. But I think I got distracted later somehow.

14 Bg2 a5: I realized he would castle next and then try to get some advantage as my bishop would be pinned. I didnt want to trade the light square bishop. So I planned to play Ba6 increasing pressure on the knight at e2. If he moved away his knight at f3 which I expected I could play Ned5. He would then probably play c4 (which he did) I could play Ra7. If he goes cxd5 i can immideately capture e2 knight. If he plays Bxd5 i can recapture with Nxd5. My next move anyway is Re7.

19 b5 Bb7: I somehow missed b5. This was a blunder and a very obvious move for white. Now my Knight will fall.

20. cxd5 Bxd5: I wanted to exchange Bishops here as my rooks are lined up, bishop exchange will only weaken his Kings position. Also after Nxd5 i can play Nc3 increasing pressure.

22. Bb2 Qc8: He covered up the c3 square getting a1 rook in the game.

23. Kh2 cxd5: I wanted to play d3 next, pinning his bishop at b2 and simultaneously increasing pressure on e2 Knight.

25 Rf1 Rxe2: He hanged his Knight.

26 Qf3 Qxf3: I accepted the exchange as Nxf3 would hang his bishop.

31. Ne1 d2: he resigned as his knight will fall.

Here is the PGN

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Overall, I sense that my problem is that I don't have any fix plan. I keep changing my plans every now and then and am at times merely responding to or distracted by his moves. I won because his blunders were far bigger than mine. But I would really like to know what kind of a plan I could have worked on? I had double rooks on e file so I was just hoping for some opportunity. How could I have created an opportunity?, I had/ still have no idea! Perhaps someone can help.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
In every game you must give attention to the centre! As black you should try and keep control over both d5 and e5 squares ( your home squares ). You want to attack and later gain control over the opponents home squares - d4 and e4. Manage the above with all other things being equel and you will have a winning position in most cases. Obviously total centre control is an ideal to be aimed at, and that it rarely is achieved is no reason not to try.
Now that you have a platform for planning in every game, I will give an example with an exercise.

In game 1. After 8.Bxf6 the best reply is gxf6! and black is better. Can you find the logic behind this seemingly bad looking move?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:28 am
Profile ICQ
King

In game 2, also on move eight, you have the chance to take over the game by simple means, but how?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Thanks Pobble,

I'll try to attempt your questions,

In game 1, gxf6! develops the dark square bishop, supports the e5 pawn and the threat for black centre control is c5 which will fail after Qa5+.

In game 2, 8 e4 is a better move? he will then probably move his knight to d2 after which is can play d5 to control centre and cramping up his game?

Was the reasoning correct?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:59 pm
King

Your answer to game 2 is correct! You must also realise that it is only the start. Simply gaining the ' high ground ', is not enough. Further you would need to attack the other central squares - home square for white d4, is supported by his e3 pawn. Pawn breaks is the key - f7-f5-f4 etc. You could also if given the chance try the break c5, though in the short tern you may need to support the d5 point with c6. Impotent note. Control is not about having a pawn on a central square but the force you put on said square - do you own it? Reason - no piece ever controls the square on which it sits.

Game 1. For the price of ceding the d4-square, white has clamped down on your d5 home square. I do not want to confuse you with too many things to think about as elements in chess must be judged by quality, which only comes with experience. The two bishops are often given an advantage but it is a meaningless quality without knowledge of if/when/how/exceptions. Centre control is like king safety and is not open to debate.
To rest control of d5 you will need a pawn break - f6-f5. Plan is just to destroy the support e4 pawn. Your fantasy which I admit may never happen, but which you should strive for non the less, is d6-d5.
8...gxf6 is an ugly move but is playable because A. You must challenge the centre. B.White is NOT in a position to exploit such a weakening of your kingside because he is badly developed.

This is a simple way of thinking which can be applied in every game, so hopefully you will never be totally stuck for a plan again. Just never forget that your oppoent will be trying to do the same!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]