View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
sfarmer29 - 2012 YOP Rnd 3 Game Fragments (3 games) [32:05] 
Video Manager

Post sfarmer29 - 2012 YOP Rnd 3 Game Fragments (3 games) [32:05]
Poster: sfarmer29
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 332
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (4)

Video Tags: Fragments Noble vs Xie Sun vs Chaffin Valenzuela vs Payne Ye Old Pueblo Open

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: kamus, Vicao10

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:28 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2015
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: sfarmer29 - 2012 YOP Rnd 3 Game Fragments (3 games) [32:
Heya,

some nice games in there! You mentioned the (=) sign on the scoresheet as being an assessment of the position, but isnt that a common way to denote a (apparently rejected) draw offer? Also that last game was crazy, it took me a while to understand why your suggested first move 1. Bb5 is indeed stronger as the seemingly more obvious 1. Ba6, but I think I got it by now. Also really nice to flip the board when looking for a continuation for black, it really seems to help quite a bit.

Keep them goodies coming!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: sfarmer29 - 2012 YOP Rnd 3 Game Fragments (3 games) [32:
Thanks for watching and your comments. Yeah, I think you're right, the "=" was probably to denote a draw offer, at least I hope so. Still, it is taking notes to the game other than the moves and the time, which I believe are the only two permitted notes on score sheets. I might be wrong, but it's of little significance either way.

The idea of Bb5 is aimed more at the follow-up Nb5 with the idea of Bd6. Ba6 right away, and I'm not looking at the board, may have allowed the capture on e1 and then ...Bxa6 getting a R&B for the Q (though, without the board in front of me, there might be a tactical refutation by White to this as well). White's position was dominating at that point no matter what he played, but the real point I wanted to get across was when White played g4. Players get in the attitude that 'anything will win' but this is not the case.

I usually see games of close friends and usually between rounds when they seek my advice and I am surprised at how many times I see won games slip into the loss column or they miss a chance to fight back (as in this game). Trend reversals are still the hardest things for players to look for, and creating trend reversals are even a step beyond that.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]