View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions 8/2012 [97:48] 
Video Manager

Post Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions 8/2012 [97:48]
Register at ChessVideos.TVLogin to ChessVideos.TV
Poster: Initiative
Name: FIDE Master Dennis Monokroussos
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 269
FIDE Rating: 2281
World Rank: 9257
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.68 (28)

Video Tags: B vs. N endings Closed Sicilian English Opening Exchange Winawer gambits King's Indian Attack Tarrasch Defense

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: GeorgeHollands, Katumbela, oblizan, blobby12, hms123, kamus, BlkSabb, mosho, Grochowski, katar, Fox, fuzz, Dharmabum, Moa, yayaba, liriodelagua, partee, eimaj, Slicri, poptropica, Mihail-B Tal, rafael214, HectorPerez, flushrivet, Cynicles, abo zg, Chestykoff, Alexyus92, guitarcameron, asim, tx42, supasayan5, Ivanronse, ch3442rt4, Kisch, cakal87, blue72, kurtsteele, Coldfish01, vonzi0000, kwame654

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:30 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Dennis M.: Viewer Games & Questions 8/2012 [97:48]
thanks for the comments to my game Dennis, most appreciated.

i havent had time to watch the whole video yet so apologies if this is mentioned later on, but if you dont get the support or interest to continue regularly at chessvideos will you be doing any alternate stuff on other sites? back at playchess or icc perhaps?

by the way you can count me as a viewer that would have an intereststill if you move to ppv.

thanks for all of your excellent videos over the years, every one has been fantastic to watch.

george

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1600
Dear Sir,

Tis is great, please do continue!

PVDC, Belgium

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 am
Pawn

Rating: 1854
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Yes please continue ,you'r videos are great

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:28 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Hi Dennis,
Your videos are consistently among the best this site has to offer and even though I haven't commented much previously, I have been a longtime fan. I would support your continuation here whether it be PPV or not. I'm curious though- why are you ending your vids under the current conditions? I thought that Chessvideos.tv was paying you for these. You can see from the viewings numbers that your videos are very popular so I'm not sure why you need to poll us to determine your popularity. Well at any rate, I hope you keep producing them, one way or another. Huge fan speaking.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
I've been watching since 2007 and have not felt moved to comment until now: please keep doing videos! In whatever format.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Dennis,
Let me add my voice to those who love your videos and who have learned immensely from them. Thank you very much.
hms

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:38 pm
Rook

Rating: 1700
Hi Dennis,

Thanks again for an excellent and helpful video! While I wish I could keep watching for free, I fully understand your need to make some income off the arrangement. (And for this site to make some income, too.) I would pay to watch your "Viewer Games" videos, for sure. As for opening videos: it depends on whether I'm interested in playing the opening. I very much enjoy your analyses of GM games, but I wonder whether the model is economically viable when presenters like Daniel King and Andrew Martin are putting a lot of similar, free content on YouTube (and sharing in YouTube's advertising revenue).

All the best!

Chris Falter

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:37 am
Pawn

Rating: 1700
Dennis,

Thanks for all the great videos. I'd pay credits for the viewer games and questions videos. The Ruy Lopez series was just too detailed for someone who doesn't currently play e4 or e5 so I probably wouldn't pay for those; but if you did one on an opening I'm more interested in I would love it. Most of the other videos I'd probably also pay for as there's usually good value. Thanks again and sorry to hear about the end of regularly posted videos.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:48 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Dude, you are one of the most watched people on this site. I watch your stuff all the time and I beg your forgiveness for not posting regularly (though I do vote quite often).

I can understand your feelings, everyone feels this way after working through the Ruy Lopez like you did :wink: but you'll learn to love the game once again :lol:

Seriously, I love your stuff and the way you present things, like having a best friend sitting there explaining things and even after all these years you point out things that I never considered. So, that being said, if you went to PPV I would be supportive, most definately!

As a poster I think one of the most important things we are doing is to try and create a dialog on a topic, i.e., the Ruy Lopez. Lots to talk about but not many comment to any great detail. I am partly to blame as I have been so busy and, quite frankly, I agree with your conclusions in all the lines you covered. Still, dear viewers, post comments. If you sat through a video, be it 5 minutes long or 90 minutes long, let the poster know you watched, liked his work, disagreed with his posting, whatever, just let the poster know you are alive!

Posting is hit or miss with the number of people who will view, comment or vote. Lately my USCL videos have gotten few views here on cvtv but have picked up much more on other sites.

Dennis, you got to keep putting out videos, be they PPV or free. I know where you live. We'll, I don't know where you live, but I found Kamus' place, I can find yours. You don't want me messing up your house :twisted: and letting my Llamas eat up the grass in your yard (and doing other Llama things).

I figure it's like in the Godfather, it's an offer you can't refuse. Keep posting, no llamas.

Much CVTV love and I hope you keep posting!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
King

Why not release a few PPV videos and see how it goes? If Admin/Josh will no longer pay your fee up front, see if they will pay you a fixed amount per every credit expended on your videos. (Perhaps this would be better for you anyhow b/c you would retain rights to your content?) I can't imagine why Admin/Josh wouldn't accommodate the second option if not the first. You are a Fide Master for crying out loud, and the site desperately needs diversity notwithstanding the undisputed greatness of Curtains. Even if you don't get a lot of instant views, people will dig stuff out of the archive if it has longevity or replay value or belongs to a series. The Quick Ruy series, for example, has enormous practical value since any player can customize a personal repertoire "playlist" for either White or Black. It is also an overall middlegame tutorial even for those who never play 1.e4 e5 with either color.

On the other hand, i've never encountered a live blitz video that i would seek out or watch more than once. (Especially since there is NO preview and NO description-- buying Curtains videos is, appropriately, a game of chance.) I'm not a big fan of the Q&A videos which are kind of a mishmash. Just my opinion.

I would sign up for some kind of well-thought-out series. I think something like that could do well, particularly if you pick your spots and cover a topic that the other sites are neglecting.

The "Quick" Colle / London System would also be a HUGE seller, but that's because the folks who choose those openings have a very strong need to feel safe and secure which compels them to purchase everything available. :rabbit:

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
As a regular but silent viewer, I would also be interested in more of your videos, PPV or otherwise. As my chess strength is probably 1700-1800 , I particularly enjoy videos such as this one where you give your analysis of games and comment on ideas in the middle and endgame.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 am
King

Rating: 1840
I'm a big fan Dennis :) Didn't feel the need to comment much over the Ruy series. I'm not a theoretician and while I appreciated the guidance and learned a lot, I had nothing to offer to any discussion. But I watched every second of every one, sometimes more than once.

Regardless of what you decide thanks so much for all the great videos over the years. I essentially taught myself chess to your videos since I started playing a few years ago, and would be sad to see them go. On the other hand I completely understand, as a musician, what it's like to have studied and trained and invested financially your whole life. It's nice to get something back too sometimes when you pass the result of that investment on to others. So I understand the move to credits, although it means I will no longer be able to watch your vids.

All the best and many thanks again.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thank you for your contributions over all these years

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:43 pm
Pawn

Rating: 2180
Your videos here were part of my life over the last years. Thank you very much!

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next