View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Greek Gift 
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Greek Gift

I quite liked this game because it's not such a classic Greek gift - actually it's the h pawn that pushes the attack home, three times...and it's the threat of the fourth and final push to queen which proves decisive, forcing the black king into a mating net on h8.

As far as I can tell it's a force mate after Kg6. However, Kg6 was massive blunder. Simply Kg8 followed by Nf6 secures black the game.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Greek Gift
Nice brutal attack there! BTW, what was the time control?

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
The Aljechin-Chatard strikes again! After 7..Qxe7?! White is pushing for a clear advantage.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 am
King

kamus wrote:

5 mins. Honestly it's not the best attack ever, the whole sac is unsound as his Kg6 defense was overelaborate. Often it works but in this case the simple retreat was simply winning for black...but in a 5 mins game online sometimes it's okay to speculate ;)

And Qxe7 is a bad move in my opinion. Better to leave the queen on the diagonal to a5 where she is very well placed to cause white problems.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:51 pm
King

FlintEastwood wrote:
kamus wrote:
And Qxe7 is a bad move in my opinion. Better to leave the queen on the diagonal to a5 where she is very well placed to cause white problems.

Lucky for us, nobody takes with the King, which is understandable: Taking with the King would mean that the Black player is prepared - which would have prevented him from playing ..c5 without ..a6 in the first place.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:44 pm
King

Fox wrote:
FlintEastwood wrote:
kamus wrote:

Lucky for us, nobody takes with the King, which is understandable: Taking with the King would mean that the Black player is prepared - which would have prevented him from playing ..c5 without ..a6 in the first place.

Yeah, amazingly the Alekhine Chatard isn't so popular. It's one of those openings, when things go well you feel like a genius.

I think there's a reason that is so rarely seen though, at my level. Anyone prepared enough to know how to properly decline the gambit would actually accept it. It's fun for white but I'm not sure if it's particularly good. Often black can just play g6, push the king to f8 and then white can't really break through. I kind of use it as a bluff. If people accept it's fun but not always easy, but for the most part people see an unfamiliar gambit, decline, and get a worse position.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 pm
King

I disagree, Flint. Personally, I feel like White's (practical) advantage is guaranteed after Black accepts the gambit. That's why stronger players always decline, in my experience, at least.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 am
King

Fox wrote:
I disagree, Flint. Personally, I feel like White's (practical) advantage is guaranteed after Black accepts the gambit. That's why stronger players always decline, in my experience, at least.

That's interesting, I always thought it was considered pretty dubious. I know Kasparov played the Qd3 line with some success but I thought it fell out of fashion again. Personally I have better results when people decline it, but I still enjoy playing the accepted version for white because when you do win it's usually epic and with loads of sacs ;) Which line do you play for white in the accepted version?

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:06 am
King

FlintEastwood wrote:
Fox wrote:

That's interesting, I always thought it was considered pretty dubious. I know Kasparov played the Qd3 line with some success but I thought it fell out of fashion again. Personally I have better results when people decline it, but I still enjoy playing the accepted version for white because when you do win it's usually epic and with loads of sacs ;) Which line do you play for white in the accepted version?

Then you got the wrong impression (or you were misinformed). Accepting the gambit is dubious from 1. a practical standpoint (giving the gambiteer what he wants, what he is prepared for and having to try to defend), 2. a logical standpoint (open up the h-file for White and allow quick development) and 3. an engine standpoint (the great magician is on our side!).

8. Nh3 would be my choice, but again: They've never taken the pawn OTB.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]