View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
kamus - Coffeehouse Chess: The Fred [38:01] 
Video Manager

Post kamus - Coffeehouse Chess: The Fred [38:01]
Poster: kamus
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 241
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.50 (8)

Video Tags: Duras Gambit Fred Defense Jack Young Mao Tse Tung Attack UNICEF

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox, Sarciness, katar, flushrivet, Moa, sfarmer29, FlintEastwood, Wildman, Robert_T

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:12 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: kamus - Coffeehouse Chess: The Fred [38:01]
After 1.e4 f5 2.exf Black has 2-1 central pawn majority just like the Open Sicilian, ain't nothin to sneeze at.

Thank you for promoting the work of the Great Leader, Mao Tsetung. I was L-MAO while watching it. This follows in the tradition of your earlier video on the 1.e4 b6 line-- i believe it was referred to as the "Chairman Mao's Trap". These tributes to the Great Leader should be published, in a little red book naturally.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
:lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Knight

I know someone that makes videos by the name of awww-rats suggests to new players to play the nimzovich-fred with e4 nc6 nf3 f5. How does this compare with the duras gambit?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:44 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Hmm, I confess that I don't know much about the Nimzovitch Defense with ...f5 (also known as the Colorado Defense). The opening book in Hiarcs gives the following line:

It concludes at the end that White has about a half-pawn advantage. A superficial look at the position leads me to conclude that it is a lot safer and saner to play than the Duras which invites almost immediate problems for Black. A key difference would be that after White's Nf3, ...f5 doesn't lead to any Qh5+/ Be2-h5 stuff. Another difference would seem to be that Black may able to recover the pawn whereas in the Duras, if White knows what they are doing, Black will be down a pawn with no compensation. Looking about online reveals that the opening has a much better reputation than the Duras, which according to Schiller and others, is totally busted. Perhaps someone here with some experience in the line can shed more light on it.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
King

The Colorado line 1.e4 Nc6 2.Nf3 f5 is a Foxy variation. By that I mean that the wily Mr.Fox plays it.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8101&p=59704
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8895&p=64174

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
King

The line that you give is critical, kamus. White is better there, but the advantage is not earth-shattering. The Colorado looks crazy and is in fact surprisingly sound (no comparison between this and something like the Fred).

The games I played in the CVTV tournaments are not really a good reference though. I was experimenting without too much theoretical knowledge to back up my play.

One of my favourite Colorado games is Strohhäker-Schneider, 2009 which features 4. Nh4!?, the other mainline.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

BTW, sorry about my incessant cough- I didn't realize it was so bad until I listened to a bit of the video.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I love your crazy series Kamus, not to mention your hilariously dry delivery. Thanks a lot!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:27 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
It wasn't the cough that carried him off; it was the coffin they carried him off in. No worries here: I put on a surgical mask to avoid catching whatever bug you have... :roll:

Now that was a fun and interesting video, which acutally got me thinking when I wasn't laughing... :lol: I confess that I've never even heard of the Fred Defense, let alone faced it in a game. (Not that I wouldn't be delighted if someone tried it... :rambo:) I found all those White losses -- admittedly not by the best players -- the most instructive thing. Yes, the Fred Defence (and its many "Coffee House" siblings) range from unsound (like the BDG) to bad (like Fred), but beating them can be a chore as demonstrated here. Mostly I think it's because those who play them typically specialize in them, while the rest of us wouldn't waste any study time on them at all.

That being the case, one has to be able to bust this sort of thing over the board. That can be hard in a blitz game, but at a slow time control I think it's eminently doable in practice. (Easy for me to say... I only play CC games these days! :D) Still, the most important thing is to take a deep breath and *THINK* about the situation. Your opponent has just played some bad moves, maybe s/he was deliberately trying to insult or provoke you into doing something stupid, but that doesn't mean you have to take the bait and react badly. That's what they want if they're playing something like the Fred Defense, so don't give it to them as a matter of principle. Instead, be objective; it does wonders for one's chess ability. They deserve to be punished appropriately, but that doesn't usually mean mate in 10 moves even against something as bad as the Fred.

I have to admit 3.Qh5+ was my knee jerk reaction to 2...Kf7, but it doesn't work very well here because White doesn't have any other pieces out and bringing one's queen out early in the opening is itself a violation of opening principles without a strong tactical justification.

One reason 3.Bc4+ is so much better is that it develops a piece with tempo while giving the queen the e2 square to gracefully retreat from h5 if that later becomes necessary. That's why White lost all those games, because there isn't anyplace safe on the 5th rank that early and the queen gets chased around while Black develops with tempo. The second reason is that after 3...d5 White now has tactical justification for bringing the queen out with 4.Qh5+:

If 4...g6 5.fxg6+ Kg7 6.Qxd5 (the official refutation), the bishop provides the tactical means for winning the d-pawn and forcing Black into a lousy pawn-down endgame.

If 4...Kf6 (the Black king on f6 prevents ...Nf6 -- the other part of the tactical justification for 4.Qh5+ here) 5.d4 (covers the e5 square) Bxf5 (if 5...dxc4 6.Bg5+ Kxf5 7.Bxf7+ winning the queen) 6.Bg5+ Ke6 and we're here:

Notice that we're on move 7 and Black hasn't had a chance to capture the bishop on c4. (I wasn't kidding when I said 3.Bc4+ developed with tempo, but it isn't obvious.) I think best for White is the simple 7.Qe2+ Kf7 8.Bd3 bringing the queen back to safety with tempo while being ahead in development with a better pawn structure and a safer king. (Note: if 7...Kd7 8.Bxd5 or if 7...Be4 8.Qxe4+ or if 7...Kd6 8.Qe5+ Kc6 9.Nc3 and Black is in a world of hurt and still can't take the bishop on c4: 9...dxc4 10.Qb5+ Kd6 11.Qd5#) At this point I'd say Black has been appropriately punished for his first two moves: White is ahead in development and has an easy game to play with no problems or weaknesses. No miniture, but I'll take that sort of advantage right out of the opening.

Anyway, thanks for a thought provoking video!

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:36 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks for your in-depth analysis WM! Yeah, pretty much the only reason the Fred ever works is because White thinks he can mate Black right out of the starting gate but really, in most cases, he simply can't! The average player doesn't look at 2...Kf7 and think, "I can reach a superior endgame here!"- he looks at the move and says "I'm going to blow this drooling idiot off the board!"

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1702 USCF
Yeah, I have no way of knowing what would happen if I'd met this cold in a blitz game. Of course, I haven't played any blitz in so long that might not be very meaningful.

Most likely I would have banged out 3.Qh5+ and if 3...g6 4.fxg6+ Kg7 5. gxh7 without a second thought and played 6.Qg5+ after either 5...Nf6 or 5...Rxh7. With two pawns up and no pieces except the queen off the back rank, there's not much to do except develop and avoid trouble. From g5 the queen can just drop back to e3 and then e2 rather than let it get chased all over the board.

If 3...Kf6 I probably would have played 4.Nf3 and then reacted to what Black did. It's all sort of moot, now that I know the recipe for the secret sauce! :D

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:41 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

In this article, Nigel Short relates that he was beaten by the Fred-like Fried Fox. At the time, he thought he might be playing Fischer but it turned out to be a hoax- he was playing an engine. But still!- 2700 ELO GM loses to the Fred!?

P.S. Further investigation reveals that Short lost to the Fried Fox more than once. I have made a video of the first of these losses and will probably do some of the others as well.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]