View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
zeitnotakrobat - Zeitnot battles 002 [26:58] 
Video Manager

Post zeitnotakrobat - Zeitnot battles 002 [26:58]
Poster: zeitnotakrobat
Rating Class: National Master | Videos Made: 12
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (4)

Video Tags: dutch defence leningrad UNICEF

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: kamus, katar, Moa

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: zeitnotakrobat - Zeitnot battles 002 [26:58]
Both the chess-play and, especially, the presentation are of a superior quality. There is a lot of entertainment value in this game.
I love how you are so dismissive of "ugly" computer moves! It's about time somebody spoke out against that con artist Houdini. I always prefer to play a move that makes sense to me rather than some weird or ugly move that is +.2 better in the computer evaluation.
I watched the video last week so I don't remember the move/time reference, but there is a moment toward the end when you brought the f-rook back to f8 and my first thought was Rcf8 instead-- but i figured out that Rcf8 only leads to a perpetual check for Black.
Also wanted to "bump" this video to the top of Active Topics. :)

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:59 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Thanks Katar.

Concerning the engines: I did an automatic analysis of the game with Stockfish 1.7 on my netbook for blunder checking, yes I know an old engine version and weak hardware. The engine gave me some variations always with a depth of 10 ply with evaluations. Some of the variations were useless and in two cases the final position was simply lost in few moves. In one of them a white piece was trapped immediately and in the other black lost his queen in two.
Seems like the horizon effect is still there.
What is really annoying is that the engine gives long variations which it cannot judge. It would be better if it would give variations only to the depth where it reaches a calm position and which it can safely evaluate.

An interesting feature for engines could be something like a "certainty factor" indicating how trustworthy the engine thinks the variation is from ply to ply.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm
King

Rating: 1840
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Nice vid! Thanks :)

One question though, at 13:02 isn't Qd3 a lot stronger and also more active than putting the queen on the half open file, stuck behind a pawn? There are ideas to double rooks behind the pawn and also ideas of tactics like Bd2 in the air when the black pawn is pinned. Also it protects the b pawn and prevent Qc4 from black.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]