View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
katar - Art of Sacrifice game 31 [24:27] 
Video Manager

Post katar - Art of Sacrifice game 31 [24:27]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 5.00 (5)

Video Tags: dutch rubinstein sacrifice spielmann

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox, Zibbit, sfarmer29, Moa, Robert_T, Igor, eimaj

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:53 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 2014U
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: katar - Art of Sacrifice game 31 [24:27]
I remember starting out in chess and it was due to games like this that gave me my biggest rating leap; the realization that tactics between strong players often lay under the surface. I began to realize that my opponents were going to stop the typical 1-2 knockout punches that win material and what matters now is how the pieces stand _after_ the correct defense. Does my tactical threat create some positional advantage? Then go for it. Does it lead to my pieces being unorganized? Then DON'T DO IT! Is it a push? Do I gain or lose nothing at all? Those are the tough problems, and it one may be best served to keep some restraint and wait for a better opportunity (unless the opponent can otherwise improve his own position).

This game is a very good example of this. Lots of tactics which lead to a lot of pressure on White and in the end a slightly better position for Black or, as in this case, a winning endgame.

I know this will sound obvious to a lot of viewers but it is something that many students I have had tend to overlook. They like to attack for the sake of the attack. They reason, "well, at the end of this little combination I have my knight on g5 and my queen on h6." This may be all well and fine, unless the knight really belongs on f3 or the queen on the other side of the board. Notice how the move ...a5 is an attempt to bring the queen offside.

Newcomers to chess will be well advised to keep this in mind when watching this game as it is a good example of tactics being used for positional purposes.

Keep 'em coming Katar!

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1750
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
IMHO, this game was played horribly, positionally, by White. My feeling is that the Dutch is normally unsound unless played perfectly, which is why I never took it up as Black.

I was expecting the ...Qf3 block before you even showed it, and I am bad at tactical finishes! (which is why your videos are the best thing going for me - better than other chess videos and my GM level books). ;-)

The fact that Rubinstein made so many bad mistakes in this game is why he didn't deserve to be world-champion, IMHO. Turn of the century chess was still a relatively weak era to the ones that came after it, with Lasker being the exception to this (whereas Steinitz came just before, and Capablanca just after in terms of the heights of their respective eras).

Great video!! A+ :-)

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:55 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Thx for comments/feedback!!

Interesting at the end Rubinstein had a choice between: (1) Bxe4 leading to RRQ vs. RQ or (2) Rxe4 leading to BRQ vs. RQ. [Or (3) Rf3! but that is another matter.]

In this particular situation the BRQ turned out to lead to a draw, but the RRQ is losing. It turns out White would rather have a bishop on e4 rather than a second rook. The bishop and rook turned out to be stronger than the two rooks, which sort of duplicate functions and trip over one another. Kind of an interesting situation i think.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]