View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
katar - Art of Sacrifice game 35 [10:25] 
Video Manager

Post katar - Art of Sacrifice game 35 [10:25]
Poster: katar
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200) | Videos Made: 83
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.60 (5)

Video Tags: caro-kann sacrifice spielmann

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Fox, sfarmer29, Moa, Sarciness

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:27 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1750
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: katar - Art of Sacrifice game 35 [10:25]
The exchange sac has hardly a sac. Watch this video a couple of times and you'll see what I mean, how funny this is. After the sac, White soon is up 6 to 3 in development, tempo-wise; his g4 idea also makes perfect sense from a tactical bean-counter point of view - this game is like a mathematical exercise in tactics.

First, White is up a free rook, since Ra8, never comes into play. With the ..Qb6, you could say White is up a free rook AND a free queen - where is the sacrifice? (that's a rhetorical question, of course)

By the time White has sacked a piece on g7 and h7, White essentially had two king defense pawns for one piece. You could even say that White got those two pawns for free and is up major material since Black's queen and rook are out of play.

The secret of Spielman's sacs seems to be that he does them in the opening, and makes sure that whatever he sacs there will still be plenty of key pieces to attack with after the sac takes place. You know that the vast majority of chessplayers are going to be like "omgbbq! I am up piece in the opening already"

As an aside, I had M*nev's book on the Fantasy Variation of the Caro-Kahn, and I kid you not I threw it in the fireplace, I thought it was that maddeningly incomplete (I've had around four books by M*nev, and thought it his worst of the bunch) - the good thing about the book was that it included lots and lots of old games. Well anyway, he included games from Spielmann, and Spielmann is sacking a key pawn in the few games I saw by him (trying to come up with some gambit line, I guess), but this is not advisable naturally; it's just that Spielmann can usually overcome a pawn sac and find a drawing line based on his amazing tactical ability (and more importantly being the stronger player of the two). If one were simply to follow Capablanca's rule and develop all of their pieces first, I think that would shut-down most of Spielmann's "antics".

Nevertheless, I with there were another thirty-seven of these Spielmann/Katar videos to watch. ;-) It's been tremendously enlightening, and has improved my chess game and understanding quite a bit. :-)

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]