View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Feedback on this position 
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Feedback on this position
Hello, I am only just starting to try to work the Maroczy bind formations into my repertoire against the sicilian. I am interested in the position of this game after move 11.

My candidate moves were, Nxc6 Nxc6 followed by Qxd6, and Bh6, as was played in the game. Stockfish recommended Nxc6 Nxc6 Na4 with a positional idea I don't really understand other than using the b6 square. I was a bit worried that Nxc6 Nxc6 Qxd6 Be5 might not be the best continuation for me, so I went with Bh6. How do you guys handle a position such as that arising after Qc7?

Thanks!

Fri May 10, 2013 7:49 pm
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Post Re: Feedback on this position
Well, Na4 looks very logical. In those types of positions black has no space and if white can manage to put a piece on b6 which cannot be chased away, this futher cramps black. White then has all the time he needs to push his queenside pawns to restrict black even further. So the logical follow-up after putting a piece to b6 is Rac1 and b4 or maybe first a4-a5 to anchor the piece on b6.
Depending on blacks reaction white can play a further b5 (more often) grabbing more space or c5 (seldom) to open the d-file for good reasons. That's the general plan.

In your concrete position black cannot react with one of his natural breaks b5 or d5 (always watch out for those, even if that means a pawn sac!), so the questions is, what could black's plan be. He still has to solve the problem of protecting the d6 pawn after Na4. The compu maybe doesn't like to take the pawn as long as black could double white's pawns with Bxc3. White is better then, but it might be difficult to make progress due to your static pawn structure on the queenside (no breaks, no possible passer and no way to chase away a piece on c6).
Na4 gives you the option to Bb6 followed by Qxd6 and what can black do about it??

Black's setup in your game is very bad, because the early a6 is not useful and also playing e6 and g6 is dubious. If black plays e6 he should place the bishop on e7 and go for a hedgehog type of position. However, then black would want to have his knight on d7 instead of c6. If you want some examples of how to handle the hedgehog I can refer you to my "zeitnot battles 4" video showing some model games in my favorite setup against the hedgehog.

Sat May 11, 2013 2:07 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
JWhis, I know nothing of Maroczy vs. Hedgehog structures but FYI Zeitnot is referring to this great video:
viewtopic.php?t=11184

Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Great reply, zeitnot, that explained very clearly a solid idea with Na4, which wasn't clear to me. Watching your vid now :)

Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
It's possible to get this type of hedghog with a6,d6,e6,g6 from the modern Kan Sicilian. It's true black has mis-played it.

Thu May 23, 2013 12:06 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]