View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
analyze my chess games 
Pawn

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post analyze my chess games
What is a good way to analyze my chess games? I recently started notating my chess games, but I am not sure what to do with the notations. What is the best way to analyze a chess game?

Last edited by ssonnaley on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: analyze my chess games
ssonnaley- you have listed yourself as an "expert" but the questions you ask are of someone who is new to the game. As for the "best way" to analyze, you'll get a lot of different answers. Generally speaking, you want to find out what you did wrong ( even in the games you win) and that involves breaking down the elements of your play i.e. openings, middlegame plans, ending technique, strategical thinking and tactical awareness- and seeing how your play could have been improved. Computers can be helpful for the tactical end of things.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Was a bit irritated about that question too - considering it was asked by an expert I wasn't sure what to answer.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:08 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating: 900-1000
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
kamus wrote:
ssonnaley- you have listed yourself as an "expert" but the questions you ask are of someone who is new to the game. As for the "best way" to analyze, you'll get a lot of different answers.

haha I'm guessing he/she never had to analyze his/her games until recently, all whilst he or she's been playing it for quite a long time and becoming really good at it. I only started seriously looking deeply into my games during my 3rd year of 2-year college (before I transferred to a University), which was very shortly after I learned how to even notate chess.

As my own contribution to the "different answers" that Ssonaley might receive, one of the things you would want to primarily keep in mind when it comes to analyzing a game is noticing and reflecting on blunders, yours (especially) and your opponents: What better moves could you have made instead to avoid such blunders, how did your opponent exposed them in the first place, what strong clever moves did you make that your opponent didn't catch that caused him/her to make a mistake, etc.

Of course, being that I'm amoung those on the very bottom of the totem pole on this site at 900-1000 for a chess rating, I'm not too sure how good my advice is. Perhaps I'm nothing more than annoying (which I can accept), in which case, you can disregard my post. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quote:
Computers can be helpful for the tactical end of things.

Too good most of the time that it forgets positioning.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:42 am
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
I found that when getting people lacking experience to annotate their own games, it was best to stick to a single theme. Focus and clarity are very strong learning tools. Trying to manage every aspect of a game can be confusing, and even if many points are discovered, the results rarely get due attention due to the lack of initial focus.

As an example. The focus of the annotations could be on the good and bad aspects of the trades in the games.

Taking the start of the endgame as the theme, you focus on the preceding play, but just with the forthcoming ending in mind, and what made the greatest impact to the ending arrived at.

It could simply be a noting of unguarded pieces and pins etc.

I'm sure you could come up with hundreds of other points of focus easily.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:03 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]