View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Video clips from Youtube 
Pawn

Rating: 1940
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Video clips from Youtube
Hello everyone,

I would like to contribute to this site but have one important question. I've got a Youtube-Channel where I regularly upload video clips. Is it possible to link them here instead of uploading it with that software? It would just be double amount of work which I would like to avoid tbh.

Would be great if someone could help me

regards,
Dailychess

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:52 am
Pawn

Rating: 2000
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Video clips from Youtube
I have the same question as DailyChess. Would be great just to give a youtube-ID here...

Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:28 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hey guys- I'm just the moderator here but I'm guessing the answer is no as we have a rule against linking to commercial sites. That said, I will PM the owners and get a clear ruling from them about this.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

UPDATE: Hey guys, Josh and Admin have decided that posting Youtube links is A-OK. Maybe we should start a dedicated topic for YT linking.

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Don't know how to handle the legal stuff with the links, as there is a lot of copyright violation on Youtube. Some are just uploading stolen stuff, some others are even saying that stuff is theirs.

Of course I do not imply any of the posters above posting stuff on Youtube, which is not their own.

Maybe katar can give us some explanation on 'linking to youtube' as he is in the law business afaik.

Personally, I have some corcerns on posting stuff to Youtube (or commercial sites in general), as I don't want somebody else to use my stuff to earn money, as I don't want to earn money with chess (I also give lessons only for free).
I am aware that the potential audience on Youtube is much larger than here...

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:17 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm not sure this is going to work out well. I saw on Curtains' youtube channel that he has declared that he wants to build up his channel there. He has already posted a several videos that haven't appeared here and none of the recent vids have shown up here. As you know, his videos have been one of the main assets of this site, If we become a link farm for chess videos on youtube, I don't really see how this site remains relevant.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Exactly, kamus becoming a youtube link directory maybe is the first step into ruin for this site.

Well, youtube has that video monetarization program. After a web search it's still not clear to me, how much money a poster gets. That seems to depend on clicks and # of abos.
Maybe you remember that the salesman was strongly advertising his youtube channel here when he quit, saying he wanted to become youtube partner and earn money with his videos.

I don't want to critisize anyone for wanting to earn money with their chess vids because producing a tutorial video takes several hours including preparation & analysis.

Some years ago Josh did the opposite, he linked to his vids from his facebook site. Don't know how successful that was...

Maybe the best way to go is to learn from sites like youtube:

We need a better way to sort & group the videos on this site. The classics thread or the wiki is not enough imho, too many good videos from the past are still forgotten. The tagging imho does not seem to be a real success.
A thing that clearly comes into my mind is the playlist or channel concept. Imagine something like the captain evans chess journal (a chess improvement course linked in my training journal) in video playlist form. The same would be nice for certain openings, middlegame strategy or a basic endgame course. Of course you can do a video search, but nobody arranges the hits by level or in a didactic order.

I don't want to start another discussion on the sites future. We discussed that already in these threads http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11248 & http://www.chessvideos.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10821 and I have nothing additional to propose.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]