View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
kamus - Ring of Fire #4 [18:31] 
Video Manager

Post kamus - Ring of Fire #4 [18:31]
Poster: kamus
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800) | Videos Made: 241
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 3.00 (2)

Video Tags: Marc Esserman Morra Gambit piece sacrifice Smith-Morra

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:42 pm
King

Rating: 2249
Rating Class: National Master
Post Re: kamus - Ring of Fire #4 [18:31]
Nice game!
I think it is quite easy to find those sacs if your style is initiave or attack oriented. Even if it might not be correct it is very hard for black to find a plan how to develop and consolidate without giving back material.
On the other hand, I think Bb4 and Qa5 cannot be the way to play. It doesn't look harmonious. I'm not sure if I would dare to win a pawn by Bxc3, but then what am I threatening? On the other hand the line-up of bishop and queen somehow provoces white to go a3 and b4 at some point. Then the queen has only few squares to go ...
Bd2 looks solid, Rc1 looks natural with a3 in mind, I don't like the black position. If I am guaranteed to get those positions with white i'd gladly pick-up the Morra

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: kamus - Ring of Fire #4 [18:31]
zeitnotakrobat wrote:
Nice game!
I think it is quite easy to find those sacs if your style is initiave or attack oriented. Even if it might not be correct it is very hard for black to find a plan how to develop and consolidate without giving back material.
On the other hand, I think Bb4 and Qa5 cannot be the way to play. It doesn't look harmonious. I'm not sure if I would dare to win a pawn by Bxc3, but then what am I threatening? On the other hand the line-up of bishop and queen somehow provoces white to go a3 and b4 at some point. Then the queen has only few squares to go ...
Bd2 looks solid, Rc1 looks natural with a3 in mind, I don't like the black position. If I am guaranteed to get those positions with white i'd gladly pick-up the Morra

Thanks for the comments ZA! I think that Esserman has shown in his book that White achieves at least dynamic equality in the accepted lines. I haven't gotten too far in the declined chapters, (mainly because people haven't been playing them against me too much lately,) but he indicates that he's found some ways to shake things up in the declined variations. I almost gave the Morra up due to people constantly playing the Nf6 declination which I found a tough nut to crack- I'm hoping he's right!

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]