View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Sarciness - Sicilian- Deserved to get crushed? [21:27] 
Video Manager

Post Sarciness - Sicilian- Deserved to get crushed? [21:27]
Poster: Sarciness
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000) | Videos Made: 67
Login or register to rate this video...
Not Rated Yet!

Video Tags: 25+10 Sharp Sicilian

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:04 pm
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Post Re: Sarciness - Sicilian- Deserved to get crushed? [21:27]
I'm on dial-up. Tried watching. Got about 30 seconds in. Too slow. Decided to quit. Can you post the moves somewhere and or direct me to them. Thank you.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:14 am
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
PGN:

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:45 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
some notes off the top of my head (focusing on improvements for both sides)

- the move order with 3. Nf3 seems like it could end up in an unfavourable O'Kelly after 3..a6
- I'm not sure about his 8..a6 (why not 8..Bd7?) but Black's position seems preferable to me after, say, your 12. h4. it's probably dynamically equal somehow but his bishop pair (which you can only get rid of by trading your most active piece) and the open lines against your king are nothing to sneeze at
- 17..Rxc3 seems like a dream sac to me and I'm pretty much certain Black should have gotten a lot more out of it than he did. instead, his attack quickly petered out. 18..Qa4 was probably imprecise for that reason
- what happens after 30..Bd8 threatening the skewer on a5?

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 pm
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
- the move order with 3. Nf3 seems like it could end up in an unfavourable O'Kelly after 3..a6

Could you elaborate on what makes it inferior? There must be a reason the pros don't play this move order and you're probably right, but I don't really understand it to be honest.

- I'm not sure about his 8..a6 (why not 8..Bd7?)

I also thought 8..Bd7 looked natural, but after 9.Qe3 I think I am still okay. Looks dynamically balanced to me- I liked black's position in the game more than the position resulting from Bd7.

- but Black's position seems preferable to me after, say, your 12. h4. it's probably dynamically equal somehow but his bishop pair (which you can only get rid of by trading your most active piece) and the open lines against your king are nothing to sneeze at

I think that black is probably better- bishop pair, nice pawns in the centre which are hard to challenge and open lines against my king. h4 was trying to stir thhings up and h6 was probably not the right response.

- 17..Rxc3 seems like a dream sac to me and I'm pretty much certain Black should have gotten a lot more out of it than he did. instead, his attack quickly petered out. 18..Qa4 was probably imprecise for that reason

What about 18...Ne4, cutting off the kings escape to the kingside and threatening the fork on c3? Also threatens the deadly Ba3+ kb1 Qb7 with mate to follow. It looks quite strong for black and I'm struggling to find a good defence for me. In the game, i didn't give him the chance to get his knight in after 19.f3

- what happens after 30..Bd8 threatening the skewer on a5?

Ummm, I think I die! After 31.Qd7 (desperately trying to keep the black rook off e8) Ba5+ 32.Kd1 Qa1+ is curtains and 32. Ke2 Qxe7 33.Rxe7 Re8+ sucks too. 32. c3 Bxc3+ is also winning for black.
31. Qc5 Ba4+ 32.Ke2 must be a better try. Is there a killing blow for black here?

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:31 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
just to elaborate on the first point (the rest are a matter of technical analysis, I think):

the reason 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 a6 3. d4?! is not favourable for white is the fact that, unlike in kalashnikov/sveshnikov lines, a6 is already played so the knight can't go to b5 after getting kicked with e5. Black can take immediate advantage of this with 3..cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5! and White has not even an edge to claim after either 6. Nf5 d5 or 6. Nb3 Bb4 with pressure against e4 with d5 to follow after, say, 7. Bd3 d5. (again, note that in other lines with the same motif, White's knight can highlight the weak dark squares immediately by having the b5 square available to him)

so Black is very comfortable and by you having committed to this early d4 with your second move, Black sidesteps the recommended ways for White to treat the O'Kelly which are either 3. c3 or Nc3. You could still consider transposing into a Morra if your opponent whips out a6, I guess, but if you wanted Morra, you could go for it right away, and if you wanted Open, you could go for that right away

what I have played before is 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. c3 which can get your opponent out of their comfort zone if they usually don't go for e6-formations against the Morra. however, this tricky move order can obviously run into 2..d6 after which you'll be locked into an Open Sicilian due to 3. d4 cxd4 4. c3?! Nf6 being a problem, obviously. still, it's a move order trick to keep in mind even if it's usefulness will be rather situational

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]