View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
JoshSpecht - Analysis of NN-Roq: Stonewall Attack [24:45] 
Video Manager

Post JoshSpecht - Analysis of NN-Roq: Stonewall Attack [24:45]
Poster: JoshSpecht
Name: Josh Specht
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 169
FIDE Rating: 2102
World Rank: 37819
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 1.00 (1)

Video Tags: Analysis Attack Game Roq Stonewall

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:03 pm
Knight

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:51 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

At 20:50, after black plays Re3, can't we grab the queen in a favorable exchange with ...Rf4?

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:03 am
Knight

Thanks very much for analyzing my game! Your analysis is spot on and after mishandling the opening black was in major trouble throughout most of the game - I like your ideas for white with f5 and also 15.Nc4 would have been unpleasant! I agree that 0-0-0 wasn’t objectively a good idea, but people who play the Stonewall are tuned for an automatic king side attack so at least I avoided that :) Also I thought that after castling kingside white might be able to play a quick g4-g5 since with the centre closed white’s own king would not be in much danger.

Since then I’ve had a look at how black should handle the Stonewall Attack and it seems that using this Queen’s Indian setup it’s much better not to play d5 as early as I did. In Queen’s Indian positions it seems that black should avoid …d5 unless white is threatening himself to play d5 grabbing space in the centre (A tip I picked up from Wells's book on the Queens Indian). Another thing that people do in this line is to play Ba6 which either swaps of white’s good bishop on d3 or stops him from castling kingside (if the bishop hides) – quite similar to some lines of the French Defence. So the line might start:

1.d4 Nf6 2. e3 e6 3. Bd3 c5 4. c3 b6 5 f4 Ba6!?

Giving this position, when black has good play I think:

Also this Queen's Indian type of plan seems to work well against other slow white d4 systems such as the Colle.

I think in the game if 25. Kh1

then maybe …Qg6 or Qg4 would be good when white’s queen is trapped in the middle of the board! and black still has threats against g2

Fumar wrote:
At 20:50, after black plays Re3, can't we grab the queen in a favorable exchange with ...Rf4?

I didn’t see …Rf4 in the game, but looking at it now it seems to work and would also have been good if white had played Re2 instead of Re3.

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:06 pm
King

Rating: 1900U
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Nice analysis, Josh! Keep up the good work! :-)

IMO Black playing O-O instead of O-O-O is suicide since after Qh3 h6 White has extremely good attacking chances with Ndf3, g4, Kh1, Bd2, etc. (n.b. f6?? allows Ng6 forking Q and R) and Black doesn't seem to have any play at all. I'd very gladly take the position after O-O Qh3 in a G/60 but I don't have the time to fully analyze it right now. Fred Reinfeld's book How to Think Ahead in Chess does some very fundamental analysis of the Stonewall Attack but doesn't cover this one.

The trick with Nc4 seems to give up the e4-square to Ne4 [almost any] f6/f5 and White seems to have a small positional plus; maybe Black can barely "hang in there" by bringing doubling the rooks on d7 and d8.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

It’s nice to see another chess player posting some interesting analysis ideas in these game threads.

As well as Josh’s improvements on my blitz game and the idea I mentioned in the post above (about swapping off the white squared bishops), I recently discovered some analysis of the Stonewall attack by Andrew Martin (an English IM) in one of those old Foxy videos (it’s called Annoying d Pawn openings). The idea is that after 1. d4 Nf6 2. e3 d5 3. Bd3 black plays 3…Bg4!? Immediately stopping white from achieving the desired Stonewall setup. It’s a nice aggressive set up with simple ideas that are easy to remember so I’ll probably give it a try next time I have to face the Stonewall.

It also occured to me that Josh might like this line since as white he líkes to play 1. d4 and 2. Bg5 against most stuff and this is a similar system with colours reversed (although you do have to play Nf6 before Bg4).

There is a very nice game in this line on my database it is: Herbert Trenchard vs Siegbert Tarrasch played in 1898. Tarrasch swaps of the white squared bishops and simplifies the game until white is left with a dark squared bishop that can hardly move – very instructive.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:30 pm
King

Rating: 1900U
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Hi Roq! I agree, it's nice to discuss new and interesting ideas. Maybe I'll have some time to log on FICS and try some of this out...

I remember that Reinfeld said something about systems where Black moves the c8-bishop; in some lines (like 1. d4 d5 2. e3 Bf5) White abandons the "normal" Stonewall and immediately plays c4 and Qb3 hitting b7. I'll have to look up IM Martin's analysis of attempts to refute 3...Bg4 (my guesses would be things like 4. f3 Bh5 5. c4 but I'm sure Martin looked at this). You'd never catch me playing d5 in response to 1. d4, but Bg4 looks fun!

Oh! Indeed, this seems like something Josh could really get his hands on.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

i have a question (by the way, great analysis on this video!)
ok so:

when you asked the chess viewers about the move to find for yourself, i find that knight move right away. but on the other hand i was looking at another interesting move, which is ...Rf4 attack his queen, his queen cant retreat and white must place a piece in front of it and the pawn can take that piece, but maybe you can prove me wrong? :)

oh wait i just read the ...Rf4 comments and now my question was answeredd! so i am right! thanks Josh! can we play sometime? =D

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]