View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
Introduce Yourself Thread 
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Introduce Yourself Thread
I figured we should make a thread for everyone to introduce themselves. Feel free to mention anything about your chess experiences or whatever. I'll go first...

Hi everyone, my name is Josh. I'm 22 and about to graduate from the College of William and Mary. I played chess a lot in high school but stopped while in college until the past six months or so. Since I returned to chess I've been working hard on improving and I started chess-videos.com in the hopes of creating a chess community where everyone could help each other learn more about the game.

Last edited by JoshSpecht on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 13, 2007 6:59 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

My name is Ray and I found your site while searching for chess videos on youtube.com.

As far as my chess experience goes, I have been playing since I was a young boy. I play the game more as a social activity than anything else.

I have a chess blog geared for beginner and novice players. I'll post the url to the blog in the Post a link to your chess blog thread.

Btw, good job on your site here. Nicely done... 8)

Ray

Wed May 16, 2007 4:41 am
Pawn

Hi, my name is Gerald Roberts. I only learned the rules of chess two and a half years ago, but I'm already rated 1505. I have my own chess site, http://grob.2ya.com and I coached two school chess teams last year. What else? I'm 19 years old from Indiana and I will be attending the University of Texas at Dallas in the fall and will participate on the nation's number one ranked chess team.

Wed May 16, 2007 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the site! There are a lot of strong players at UTD so there will be a lot of good chess. I'm actually moving to Austin (from Virginia) in August, not really sure how far apart they are, but I guess we'll both be Texans.

Wed May 16, 2007 6:23 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

hi my name is marc(22). i'm from switzerland.
i found this site, a little while ago, while i was searching for chess videos on youtube.
i learned chess a long time ago(8years i belief) but i never played a lot, even tought i like the game, becase i won everytime against my family. thats why they didnt want to play against me.but 2 or 3 weeks ago i made up my mind that i want to improve an i thought the internet will be a good place.
i think it was luck that i found this site. but well exept of chess: good luck is the half win^^

thanks

Sat May 19, 2007 6:07 am
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums! Just remember that Capablanca, one of the greatest players of all time, said "a good player is always lucky."

Sat May 19, 2007 6:10 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

I'm Keith, 25 years old from Rhode Island, USA. I played chess a bit as a kid, then a bit more seriously on my high school chess team, although I was never very good. Recently I've been studying more and playing on FICS, where cvdan pointed me to chess-videos.com.

I'm planning to play in my first rated OTB tournament next month, although I'm not too confident about my performance :)

Tue May 22, 2007 9:44 am
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the site Keith. Good luck in your tournament next month...maybe you can post some games or a trip report.

Tue May 22, 2007 10:24 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating: 1766 Fide
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)

my name is Christian from Rome, Italy and I'm 34. I learnt chess from my uncle when I was about 10 years old. Since then I became fascinated about the game and I used to play with my uncle only during summer for the next 3-4 years. For about the next 15 years I seldom played chess, only occasionally with some friends but just for fun: no studying, game replaying, etc. Then one day I bought one of those portable electronic chess computers and starting playing more and more. I began reading some books with lots of commented games, opening variations, etc and in 1999 I played my first OTB tournament. It was a tournament for players with no ELO rating, in fact it was a tournament to earn an entrance (ELO Italy) rating of 1500.
I managed to do so and I said to myself: "Ok, you got what you wanted! Now what?". At the time I was studying in University to become a Mechanical Engineer, so I didn't have all that time to play OTB tournaments but I continued playing with the computer (now I have Fritz 10), buying useful books, etc. Finally, this year I said to myself I would start playing tournaments and so I began in April. As of today I've played in 2 tournaments with a decent performance. I'll post the scores of a couple of interesting games I played in the near future. For now, bye everyone!

Thu May 24, 2007 3:02 am
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your recent tournament successes.

Sun May 27, 2007 8:16 am
Profile ICQ
Fearless Leader

I'm Taalan Liebermann. I'm currently 17, and live in Fort Myers, Florida. I've been playing chess since about 7 or so, and had talent at it when i was young (won some scholastic tournaments without any book knowledge, etc.). Then however, we moved over to China, and I switched to chinese chess, and more or less gave up on the game for 7 years or so. I have only started to play it again and actually study it since about late 2005, although i absolutely love the game and intend on pursuing it as my main hobby. I love unbalanced, irregular, double-edged positions, so i recently have started to play the Bird's Opening (my favorite) as white, French defense aginst k-pawn, and Dutch defense (still learning this one) against the q-pawn as black. In addition to those (my newer openings) I play a bunch of classical openings, Italian game, Evans gambit, King's gambit, Ruy Lopez, Queen's Gambit, the Indian defenses, etc. I'm the president of my high school chess team, and a (well, i like to think so at least) well-known member on chessgames.com (username same as on here) . That being said i don't know exactly what my rating is, i can play brilliantly in some games, then i can also play like a complete patzer the very next game. I've only played in three tournaments since i was 7, so my official rating is inaccurate, but realistically i would be at around 1700ish if i could play consistently, however for some reason i find it near impossible to play 4 straight games without blundering a peice, =). Because of this my realistic rating is probably somewhere around 1550ish or so. As for my experiences in chess, my proudest moment was when i sacked a rook to go into a stalmated position against a 2200 (very next game though i got destroyed in under 30 moves to a 1400, lol.) Least proud moment would have to be the one and only time that my little sister beat me (she has talent, but prefers go). In the near future once i get the Dutch Defense learned pretty well i intend to go back to active tournament play (in my last tournament i scored 2.5/3 with the Bird's Opening as white, but only 0.5/3 as black against q-pawn, so i want to learn the Dutch defense first before i go back to active tournament play).

Sun May 27, 2007 9:04 am
Profile YIM
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure if you played a lot of rated games over a couple months you'd be in top form and not blundering pieces. Also, I'd like to see that stalemate position if you could post it.

Sun May 27, 2007 10:43 am
Profile ICQ
Fearless Leader

Sure, here it is

I was white and played 1 Rxb3+ which draws as the rook can't be taken or it's stalemate. in the game he tried 1...Ka4, but then 2 Rb4+ Kxb4 stalemate.

Sun May 27, 2007 11:03 am
Profile YIM
Founder
Founder

nice! I was in a team tournament once and one of my teammates managed to get something similar against an opponent. We were excited because it sealed the match but his opponent was really upset.

Sun May 27, 2007 11:15 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Post Hello from Waco
Josh, I found your site after doing a search on YouTube. I love it! I like that fact that you speak plainly and distinctly; it's quite easy to understand you and to follow your instruction.

I learned to play chess when I was young, like 7 years old, but I didn't get addicted until four or five years ago. Truth be told, I'm not all that great but I enjoy playing and learning. I've already got this site down as one of my main bookmarks.

Oh, yeah, I live in Waco, Texas, just an hour or so north of Austin.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 684 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next