View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Zibbit - B vs Stelios Halkias(GM), RvkOpen2008(1) [47:29] 
Video Manager

Post Zibbit - B vs Stelios Halkias(GM), RvkOpen2008(1) [47:29]
Poster: Zibbit
Name: FIDE Master Ingvar Thor Johannesson
Federation: ISL
Videos Made: 274
FIDE Rating: 2337
World Rank: 5247
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.23 (13)

Video Tags: Game analysis NQE Rook endings Semi-Slav

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: Hiddie, Lolchair, kamus

Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:05 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Post Re: Zibbit - B vs Stelios Halkias(GM), RvkOpen2008(1) [47:29]
I'd appreciate any feedback on this video. Do you feel 45+ minutes is too long for game analysis? I feel around 30 minutes should be good for game analysis but for this one I did some extra work like on the technique to win RN+4 vs RB+3 and also at looking at the correct defensive technique for the rook ending. Personally I feel like this is my best video and most instructive plus the game had some interesting variations connected with the piece sacrifice he offered in the opening and also he demonstrated some standard GM techniques like 1) Checking the king to a weaker square before making his intended move 2) repeating the position on principle to gain time 3) Takng his time not rushing in an endgame that is probably winning but can never be lost. GM's often seem to be doing nothing in these kinds of positions but in a way somehow that is a technique!

Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

congratulations on a great video. I feel there should be no set time limit on a game analysis. I think it would be quite hard to take 17 min out of this video. Each game needs its own attention, however long that is. I especially liked how you took a basic position from a textbook and used it to apply to your own game, that was very instructive.

Happy Birthday :D

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:45 pm
Rook

Very good video. not too long at all because it continued on with new material... it didn't get old. My favorite thing about this video is the instructional ideas for the entire game: the opening theory, middlgame lines, and the endgame examples. Great job. by the way, when alekhine first faced the grunfeld defense, he resigned by throwing his king across the room (hitting a spectator)! Kicking something isn't as bad. We all want to win and when we don't sometimes we kick things and punch walls. it's only human and at least you got a free beer! cheers

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:48 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
I think the length was fine. Tough loss. I hate when the brain decides to stop functioning after so long. This game made me want to study endgames more, since that's where I'm probably weakest. Do you recommend that nookie book? I read about it on another website. It seemed OK.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks everybody for the feedback

Wolfgang! I can definately recommend Glenn Flears "Nookie" book. Of course I haven't read it all but I think what I did is an excellent way to use it. If you get a certain NQE in your games, go look it up after the game in the book and see if you can learn something about it.

Endgames are really important and probably the weakest area for many chessplayers. I know at my level I win many games vs "weaker" opponents in endgames because I have more knowledge or they lack knowledge. Up the food chain the same thing happens and this time I had a brainfart and the GM had to give me a lesson.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Hello Zibbot;

Happy birthday (belated)!

I enjoyed the video very much like all your videos its both instructive and entertaining. It might have been a bit long, and the only reason for that is you were so complete in your analysis! My advice would be to make two or three separate videos.

One dealing with how you handled the opening ... especially how you were not afraid of losing the rook on a8, because of all the counter-play against the white king.

A video on the middle game might be an option. Your explanation of Bh7+ I found to be particularly enlightening.

The end-game analysis was complete and super instructive! I think it deserves its own video.

This might seem strange to you, but for me the most important part of the video is the way handled the loss!! You took time to wind down, and you had friends around to be supportive. You went over the game with the winner. In the end you show a healthy attitude "Learn from the mistakes and look toward the future". In my opinion having the good attitude is more important than all the analysis.

Thanks for this truly great video ... I look forward to more.

Cordially

William H. Nulf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXjYSdgwLHQ
http://www.myspace.com/william_nulf
http://www.chessgames.com

Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thanks William!

Your words ring very true. I am usually upset for like 30-60 seconds after a game but then I calm down. Usually though I don't like going over the game with my opponent after such a long game but I am very glad I did this time and one should always try to get a post-mortem with very strong players. This time I not only had a post-mortem but gained a friend. Mr. Halkias is very nice and I communicated with him a lot during the tournament and showed him a little bit around Reykjavik and some good places to eat. There are some tournaments in Greece that he recommended for us Icelandi players and hopefully he can return the favour :-)

About the game, I think it was very instructive and especially the endgame part. This game was the one I learned by far the most from in the tournament. Yes the video was long but so was the game and it's instructive value I think.

Regards,

Ingvar Thor Johannesson

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1874
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Thanks for this analyses. I'm especially glad that you had shown us some tactics in different positions. I was surprised to see 12. Bxc4 and after that it was a tough endgame. I always lose my concentration when I think I'm winning or it is at least a draw. It is very difficult to make yourself think even better in that situation.

As I have seen from the game, you defeated Gueneau. I hope to see you playing next year in Reykjavic Open too.

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Wonderful analysis.
I am currently switching to the Semi-Slav too and I am thankful for showing quite some variations. Also the endgame episode was quite nice...and....yes, GM's know their endgames :P

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:39 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1395
:bom: Was this you after the game? I think you hit on the reason for your loss when you pointed out that you were out of home preparation after his Qc2. I think you said 'I was on my own'. He must have known the line while you had to calculate everything. This must have just run your batteries down by the time you reached the ending. GM's are professionals they are mentally tough but you said your concentration lapsed. That was surely due to mental tiredness after the long complicated middle game.

I was tremendously impressed by your play. You should have drawn but what a struggle. I think you can be proud of putting up such a battle. The video was excellent. Very instructive and dramatic. Thank you very much :salut: :salut:

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yes, this was a very long and tiring game. The last one to finish in the entire 1st round. I think I played an ok game and defended pretty well but in the end when the draw should have been in hand I blew it. Yes, mental tiredness played a part and of course GM's make their living winning such games!

Thanks for watching and commenting, and also on the other vid you just commented on. Was just thinking you'd be happy these days after Scotland beat Iceland 2-1 in the footy last wednesday ;-)

I must say I miss the Scottish (Tartan army right?). They really made a good impression here in Reykjavik, always in good spirits and everybody was talking about the Scottish. One proud nation and I must say I felt devestated when I went to lunch friday and there wasn't quilt wearing Scots everywhere :-(
I felt like I was abroad for 3-4 days but now it's back to same old :-(

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1395
:D If Scotland had been beaten by Iceland it was bye bye any chance of getting into the world cup after going down 1-0 to Macedonia. MACEDONIA! Imagine that!?

Anyway great vid Ingvar. Hey you should consider coming over to Scotland to play. We would guarentee you a good time!

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2361F
Zibbit,

Absolutely wonderful video - by far the best that I've seen thus far on this site!

Obviously the loss was hard to take and we can all empathise. However, I liked the recent survey of top GMs on how they cope with losses ( http://elista2008.fide.com/question-of-the-day-4.html ) . Most take it very hard indeed, but Wang Yue said "Life is life, chess is chess. OK. I lost. So what?"

Puts in in (some sort of) perspective!

Cheers,
Graham

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:40 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next