View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Video Lesson Contest Results 
Founder
Founder

Rating: 2073 USCF
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Video Lesson Contest Results
We had a lot of great entries, and the submissions represent some of the best videos ever posted on ChessVideos.TV. Here are the overall awards...

The winner of first place and the $150 Wholesalechess.com gift certificate is Zibbit, for his lesson "Pattern Recognition #1"

Kingsblade received second place and won a $75 gift certificate for "Beginners Tips and Resources"

and jbeaty took third and won the $25 gift certificate with "How to build an opening repertoire pt. 1"

The randomly selected winners of ChessVideos.TV shirts are whiskeytown and RPD. Congratulations!

Winners will be contacted this week about receiving their prizes.

Here is the breakdown of my rankings as well as the user rankings. Note that we showed the top five so that people would have a better idea of the rankings as a whole.

User rankings:

We calculated the points each video received by giving it 13 points for a 1st place ranking, 12 points for a 2nd place ranking all the way down to 1 point for a 13th place ranking. We then totaled all the points for each video, and are proud to present your choices for the top 5:

1) 244 points: Zibbit - "Pattern Recognition #1"
2) 188 points: Kingsblade - "Beginners tips and resources"
3) 178 points: jbeaty - "How to Build an Opening Repertoire Pt. 1"
4) 137 points: brucewallace2 - NN v KingsBlade How to win!
5) 129 points: Zibbit - B vs Stelios Halkias(GM), RvkOpen2008(1)

Now the breakdown of my rankings. Note I made all my rankings before Admin had tabulated the top secret user rankings to make sure I was unbiased.

#1: Kingsblade - "Beginners tips and resources"

My #1 and #2 were very close, but I gave the top spot to Kingsblade's video due to its originality and the overwhelming amount of information within. Kingsblade has produced an excellent reference for the beginning player looking to improve his or her chess. The production quality was also excellent and I felt like a lot of Kingsblade's personality came across in the video. I really enjoyed the way he emphasized the importance of a chess community where aspiring players can work together to help each other improve.

#2: Zibbit - "Pattern Recognition #1"

I really enjoyed this video as it illustrates an excellent training tool and it provided insight into the way a player of Zibbit's caliber thinks about chess positions. Zibbit covered many fundamental checkmates as well as a number of other critical patterns. Most importantly, the video was FUN to watch.

#3: jbeaty - "How to Build an Opening Repertoire Pt. 1"

jbeaty's video provides an excellent introduction to opening play through famous games. The analysis is top notch, and at ~90 minutes, there's a huge amount of valuable information here.

#4 brucewallace2 - "NN v Kingsblade How to Win!"

Very clear and thorough explanations. I especially enjoyed how he dissected a position from one of Kingsblade's games. This is ChessVideos.TV at its finest: a community of players working together.

#5 gooeyjim - "Dealing with the Sicilian"

This was gooeyjim's first video that included audio and I enjoyed his commentary on playing the white side of the Sicilian defense. Lots of quality analysis and some exciting games included. Look out for future videos from gooeyjim!

That's it for my top five. That being said, all of the submissions were excellent and I want to again thank everyone for participating.

Final Decisions/Tiebreaker (from Admin)

Due to the fact that Josh's #1 and #2 were very close (something he mentioned to me before he had seem the forum rankings), and the forum vote was fairly deciding, Josh and I decided to follow the will of the people and award first place to Zibbit and second place to Kingsblade, although both videos were excellent. Since Josh and the forum agreed on the 3rd place video, it was easy to award the prize to jbeaty for his excellent video. Honorable mention to gooeyjim and brucewallace2 for excellent submissions to round out the final 5.

Thanks to everybody who submitted videos, and also a big thanks to the members who ranked the videos to help us decide the winners.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:14 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1559 USCF
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: ChessVideos.TV Video Lesson Contest Results
Josh, this contest was a great idea. Congratulations to all the winners!

FICS Handle: Wisdomatic

Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:29 pm
Pawn

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Congratulations, great job! Thanks for the videos everyone, they were all very educating and fun to watch! =)

Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Thanks a lot everybody! Feel very honored and privileged. Much respect to Kingsblade and jbeaty for their great videos. I agree with Josh the production from Kingsblade was great and his personality and great enthusiasm for chess totally showed in that video.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:54 pm
King Goo

Rating: 2156
Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
congratulations to Zibbit, Kingsblade and Jbeaty! To be honest I didn't expect to win that one with all the great submissions.

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 1395
:D Congratulations to the winners and everyone who entered. I enjoyed all the entries and learned a lot from them. This is a really good site and I'm encouraging all my colleagues in Scotland to check it out. Keep up the good work!

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
King

Rating: 1640
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
kewl beans - I heard the babes dig the guys in the Chessvideo t-shirts ;)

RB

Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:43 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Rating: 1860
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Everyone contributed to this contest very well in my opinion. The most original and unique video was posted by Kingsblade which definitely deserved #1. However, Zibbit's last moment entry took the prize, which I knew it would. No discredit whatsoever to Zibbit's post, it was a great video! For future reference, we should apply some rating categories from 1 to 5 based on Uniqueness, Content, Clarity, Attentiveness, Preparation, etc. Anyone else have some food for thought on this? I definitely would award an extra prize here to kingsblade for most original video. maybe wholesalechess would be willing to give a little something extra for that? Anyway their contribution already is very noteable and appreciated! Everyone did a great job for first time around. It was a learning process for me, and I hope we all can continue to learn from each other. This has the making of being the best chess site period! with a little extra effort the possibilities are endless. I know id be willing to volunteer whatever it is I could contribute.

All my best
Jimmie Beatty
Maryland USA

Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 pm
Founder
Founder

Rating: 1300
Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)
jbeaty wrote:
Everyone contributed to this contest very well in my opinion. The most original and unique video was posted by Kingsblade which definitely deserved #1. However, Zibbit's last moment entry took the prize, which I knew it would. No discredit whatsoever to Zibbit's post, it was a great video! For future reference, we should apply some rating categories from 1 to 5 based on Uniqueness, Content, Clarity, Attentiveness, Preparation, etc. Anyone else have some food for thought on this? I definitely would award an extra prize here to kingsblade for most original video. maybe wholesalechess would be willing to give a little something extra for that? Anyway their contribution already is very noteable and appreciated! Everyone did a great job for first time around. It was a learning process for me, and I hope we all can continue to learn from each other. This has the making of being the best chess site period! with a little extra effort the possibilities are endless. I know id be willing to volunteer whatever it is I could contribute.

All my best
Jimmie Beatty
Maryland USA

Thanks for the great feedback. Believe me, if we could have we would have given more prizes out to reward everybody who made great entires. However, although we chose wholesalechess.com due to the fact they had great selection and international shipping, they did not sponsor the contest or provide any of the prizes. Josh and I though really wanted to throw a contes and reward people for making excellent contributions to the site, so we did :). If we do it again in the future, we will definetly have more categories with which to rate the videos.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]