View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Snits' Training Journal 
Knight

Rating: 1441
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: Snits' Training Journal
Probaby not idol, but I do enjoy his play very much.

Quote of the week: "I feel offended for the position" - Efim Geller

For enjoyment I have been reading Genna Sosonko's wonderful collection of articles Russian Silhouettes. In his article he relates how he was lectured by Geller after a draw against Jansa in Amsterdam 1974:

"What do you mean - draw? What are you talking about? You stood better. Where? Well show me the game, show me. I feel offended for the position"

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1940
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Hi Snits,
Good luck with your training. I found Stean's Simple Chess a very significant book in my improvement. It just seemed to make so much sense, after I stopped dropping pieces that is. I'm sure it will benefit you. I first read it more than 25 years ago and will still go back to it !

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 pm
Knight

Yeah, I really like Stean's book. I have read it a few times over the past 5 years. It is a quick read, and really good. Unfortunately I seem to keep letting myself get distracted from chess by the rest of life.

I have spent some time the past few days playing through some more games in Tarrasch's 300 Chess Games (up to game 62 now), working through Silman's latest edition of How to Reassess Your Chess, and doing a small amount of tactics problems on chesstempo.com (10/day).

Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Rating: 1940
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Hi Snits,
To paraphrase Lennon I think, life is something that happens when we should be playing or improving our chess ! By coincidence I'm re-reading How to Reassess your Chess and the games book I have on the go at the moment is also on Tarrasch ! Mine is Best Games by Reinfeld though. I'm trying to spread my efforts by keeping several books on the go but all on different aspects. As well as these two I'm trying to finish volume 2 of the Marin English books and The Art of Checkmate by Renaud and Kahn.
All the best !

Tue May 03, 2011 10:55 am
Knight

Art of the Checkmate is a wonderful book. It is too bad that many people avoid it or don't know about it because it is in descriptive notation.

Tue May 03, 2011 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Did another 10 problems on chesstempo today. I also worked through the closed center section of Kotov's "Various Pawn Positions in the Centre" article in The Art of the Middle Game. I am going to work through the rest of the sections in the article over the rest of the week, and for training want to look at a bunch of games, classifying the center type and determining what the typical plans would be.

Tue May 03, 2011 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Didn't get much done in the way of studying last night. Spent most of the evening watching The King's Speech with my wife. I did listen to John Watson's interview with Alex Yermolinsky on the chess.fm. Apparently that was John's last interview show and he is now doing a show about middlegames that arise out of the openings.

I have continued to get in my paltry 10 problems a day on chesstempo.com. I normally get carried away with doing tons of them when I am in study mode. I am working on keeping the volume of problems lower, but trying to make sure I do them daily if no other chess work. Currently hovering in the low 1800s on the standard problem set and solving about 70% of them correctly this week.

Thu May 05, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
Knight

Continued to work through Kotov's "Various Pawn Positions in the centre" from The Art of the Middle Game. I am currently working on the section dealing with open centers. As an example of using piece play to create weaknesses in the opponent's pawn structure which you then proceed to attack, he uses the game Alekhine - Lasker from Zurich 1934. It has a beautiful finish by Alekhine.

I have managed to get in my tactics training every day this week and have also managed to not get carried away with it, doing maybe 10-20 problems a day. I have also been doing some reading of Soltis' Studying Chess Made Easy.

I have also been following the Candidates Match Tournament now taking place. I am glad to see that 2 of my favorite players are the only ones at the moment that are on the verge of advancing to the next round. Hopefully both Gelfand and Kamsky will advance, but unfortunately they will have to play each other if they do.

Sun May 08, 2011 1:54 am
Profile WWW
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Cheers Snits,

I'm glad that I've found your journal, you are the living proof that great results can be achieved even if you start chess later, with a demanding job and a family. I've decided to study it at 29, I've also created a journal and I'm looking forward to improve my game.

If you remember, I would like to know how you have divided your study/play time in the first year

Thanks and I'm following your progress

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 am
Knight

After a break of about a year I am back to studying again. Hopefully I will be able to get in some otb games soon, but with another daughter due in the next 8 weeks I don't know how likely that is. So I will probably resort to just playing standard games online at icc, fics, or somewhere else.

Shaking the rust off right now. My tactics rating has plummeted from the upper 1800s down into the lower 1700s on chesstempo, but it should be back up there fairly quickly. Still trying to decide what to do for a repertoire. Since I have avoided any serious opening study to this point, and have been playing somewhat questionable openings it is time to fix that problem.

Jacob Aagaard is starting a series of chess training blog posts on the quality chess books blog, and made an interesting point about starting out doing a little bit each day, and building up over time in order to avoid burnout. So try to keep to a schedule of 20 minutes 6 days a week for a couple of months, and then start to gradually increase the time once you are in the habit of training.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Knight

Here is a fun game I played through tonight. I am working through Steve Giddin's 50 Essential Chess Lessons. B:g7 is really nice. I was looking at Rh3, since he had just played Re3.

I have played some blitz online this week, but haven't managed any slow games yet. It felt good to actually play some chess though. I managed to finish 4th in both of the 3 0 tournaments I played in. My biggest enemy was the clock, which was to be expected since I haven't played anything let alone blitz in a really long time. I lost 2 games on time with winning positions, and another when I dropped a piece in a pretty even endgame. The main thing I am using it for is to practice openings, and to get back in the swing of things. I started playing the Caro-Kann, and I was surprised that everyone played the following line: 1.e4 c6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e:d5 c:d5. I don't think I have even seen that line before, but there are 2000+ games in my database for it. White scores really poorly though.

Another thing I have been doing is working on analysis by taking positions from Gelfer's Positional Chess Handbook, and analyzing them for 20 minutes and then checking the analysis against the book and against the computer. I am using the calculation training feature in fritz, where you input the moves, but the pieces don't move on the screen. When you are done you tell it to score your work, and it analyzes it and comes up with a score. I have also been doing 5 minutes each of the attack, defense, and check training. You point it at a db, and it selects random positions from the games and you have to select each piece that is attacked, each piece that is not defended, and each piece that can check.

I pushed my tactics rating back over 2000 on chess.com today after it had dropped quite a bit when I started back up. So that has been going well, but still a long ways from my previous high of 2500+. Their system is weird, because it will give partial credit if you get part of the answer right. So if you get 3 moves right and screw up the 4th, you can get a positive score. And it is timed, so a lot of times you might not analyse all the way, but are relying on intuition. I'm not sure that is the best way to do a tactics trainer, so I will probably revert to doing standard problems on chesstempo.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4