View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
KingsBlade Chess 
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: KingsBlade Chess
Kid is lucky indeed, to be introduced to chess by you.
KingsBlade, you have a real knack for explaining things in a clear/straightforward way. I also think your classical approach to chess is a good one for beginning players to emulate. Best of luck!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Class D (1200-1400)

Last edited by KingsBlade on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:32 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
KingsBlade wrote:
*** Oct 11, 2010 ***

For example, today I removed all the black pawns and then I lined up all the white pawns on the 4th rank and asked Curtis to show me which pawns were being attacked. Of course he had no problem finding ALL the targets, but that wasn't the point. Then I reformed the pawns into a strong structure that pretty much smothered the black pieces and asked him the same question and it was very obvious that he understood very quickly the importance of the pawn structure. I think it was a fun way to show a 6 year old a very important lesson about pawn chains and controlling the center cramping and smothering the opponents mobility.

This is a nice idea. I think I'll 'steal' it for my own lessons.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:03 am
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:09 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

***7/9/11****

I hate chess!

Let's see how long I can go this time before I relapse!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:39 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

****Update Jan 31, 2013****

I don't hate chess now that I don't play it anymore....LOL!

I hope all is well in the CVTV community!

Play Well! 8)

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:15 am
Rook

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
KB, I always looked forward to your videos.. Although you wore your heart on your sleeve, at times it was quite comical and usually gave me a grin :eye:.

Also miss your music :D

RT

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:43 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

HaHa! Yes, I was getting very annoyed by onliners at the end of my journey!

You can still hear my music at my website:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsBladeUSA

I am getting pulled in by the Chess Demons again, no, no, no, not again, leave me alone, I am so happy when I don't play chess. But they are hard to suppress because they want my soul, no I said, leave me be, I like my peace of mind, I like not waking up in the middle of the night screaming "I knew I shouldn't have move that e pawn"!

Oh, well, once an addict always an addict, but once in recovery finds himself falling off the wagon every now and then!

Chess is evil, Stay Away you Demons!

Hahahahahahaha Oh No, just one game, just one and then leave me alone!!!!!

Last edited by KingsBlade on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:29 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH! :evil:

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

LOL!

I think my biggest problem with chess was losing!

Besides losing, time was a big factor. I didn't have the needed time to study chess or practice chess or even play long chess games in the last couple of years I was playing (not that I played that long anyway). There was a time when I had more time to dedicate to chess (6-10 hours a week), but those days are long gone. I would be stuck just playing a couple of 5 or 10 minute blitz games at a time. Of course I screwed up a lot and lost more than 50% of my games (I almost always tried to play equal or higher rated players). I didn't mind playing correspondence, but then again, when it was my move, I would take like 30 seconds or less to ponder the next move. Maybe I just couldn't bring myself to concentrate on doing lines in my head and so I ended up playing "knee-jerk" chess. This avoided the suffering of having to pour through mind splitting calculations.

The basic concept that I have come away with this game is: " to hide around a big fat tree (in ambush with your gun pointed forward) until your opponent sticks his head out and then blow his head off before he even knows what hit him"! Of course if he doesn't "stick his head out", then YOU'RE SCREWED!

Of course if you spend many many hours of your life trying to improve at chess, then I imagine the pain of losing is tenfold especially when you spend 4 hours playing a great game only to miscalculate an endgame scenario and hand your opponent the game on a platter. Then I imagine spending the next 24 hours in shame and misery. Of course on the other hand, when you win, then "all is well" in the world as you then feel like the "King of the World" (in the chess world of course). But to me, in the long run, it seems like the repeated losses caused massive brain trauma as I found trouble finding "peace" in my own mind. (as in "peace of mind").

Now to me, if I had it my way, I would love to have a drinking chess buddy who I could hang out and play drunken smashmouth chess and hopefully not end up in a fist fight! That would be my kind of chess. But unfortunately, I haven't found that chess buddy round here. Maybe someday I will and I might find some real "fun" in the game and the next day I could say: "really, I did that, shit, I don't remember" ... LOL!

Times up! Gotta Go!

Play Well! 8)

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Do you ever play at Fells Point on Saturdays? I've been meaning to make it up there.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Kamus

I haven't played ANY chess (Zero, NONE, Zilch) in well over a year (coming up on 2 years) and so I don't really know what's going on down at Fells Point these days.

I went to Fells Point many times back in the day only to play casual stuff and watch tournaments (well, I played one USCF tournament). I got the chance to watch Wojo (Aleksander Wojtkiewicz-GM) take apart The Exterminator (William Morrison-FM) when they used to have Grandmaster Day (before Wojo died of course)! That was really cool! When you actually meet these guys they don't seem like Gods after all. They are just people who dedicated themselves to Chess. Quite friendly and decent compared to all the friggin losers online! I wish I took my Camera that day!

I only played like 6 USCF rated games and I think I got up to like 1100 or something. They were quick games. I will never forget the time I busted a young player who walked in at Fells Point one day and asked for a game (casual, unrated) and I had just finished reading Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess and I mated him with a back rank Rook and Bishop. I felt like Bobby Fischer, or was it Paul Morphy? ...lol, one or the other! I floated around for like 3 days after that!

Oh, Another funny story at Fells Point. There was this regular player (I think his name was Michael) and he had these awesome chess tatoos on his arms, but he used to bring his Walkman CD Player with his headphones and he used to crank up his heavy metal music so loud that everyone could hear it bleed through so much that people (especially opponents) would complain to the TD and he would just laugh and turn it down. I think he just did that sometimes to annoy his opponent. It would make him laugh (or more like snicker) and he would have to turn it down so that no one could hear it.

Fells Point is definitely a worldly place for Chess players! Never a dull moment there! They charge to play casual too! Nothing is free! :lol:

I still think about chess though, but I know how TIME CONSUMING it can be and I am not able to handle it too well these days with my band commitment. Maybe one day I will return to the arena, but for now, I will lay in wait! :lol:

Play Well or Not at All! 8)

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10