View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
curtains - L220: B vs Thoth-returns [11:24] 
Pawn

Rating: 1300
Post Re: curtains - L220: B vs Thoth-returns [11:24]
Hey, good game

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:22 pm
Knight

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
are you really fullstacking now? if so you are pretty much all-around awesome now. assuming you are any good at the fullstack poker

Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:34 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Nope back to shortstacking :)

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:38 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
You need some kind of viewer contest because I would like to participate somehow! How about a randomly selected viewer gets to pick a new opening for you? Or gets to select a certain, perdetermined move that you have to play sometime in the next 5 games?

HURRAH FOR GREG!!!!

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:45 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

curtains wrote:
Nope back to shortstacking :(

fyp

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:18 am
Knight

By the way, have you ever tried giving deepstack heads-up a shot? It's super fun and I feel that you would enjoy it once you got the hang of it (although the learning period, I admit, is pretty excruciating-- nothing worse than playing a guy who outplays you heads-up).

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:28 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

WHY SHOULD I BOTHER WITH THAT CRAP WHEN I CAN JUST COLLECT THE MONEY AND NOT THINK ABOUT POKER ASIDE FROM THAT?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:31 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
lol... it's so -EV to play HU in respect to SH/LH. I know some ppl are incredibly good at it, but that just proves the rule. The decisions are so marginal!

Having shortstacks at your table is +EV, cause most of the time they are playing scared or are just idiots. Now the complaining even has reached this forum, seeing cowpig's post... Why complain that there's a good shortstacker somewhere on this planet which you can't take profit from... Nh curtains and keep taking their monies!

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:25 am
Knight

curtains wrote:
WHY SHOULD I BOTHER WITH THAT CRAP WHEN I CAN JUST COLLECT THE MONEY AND NOT THINK ABOUT POKER ASIDE FROM THAT?

Don't you miss the part in your poker career where you were excitedly learning new things and improving and stuff? And heads-up you get to crush people like they're little children-- it's very satisfying. Besides, you're never going to be the super-champion you should be playing with a short stack. Obviously you are smart enough and have what it takes to become very good at poker. Don't let the easy road strip you of your ambitions!

To draw an analogy to chess: it's as if you've memorized a bunch of openings and decided that the game should end on move 10. Whoever has the best position on move 10 wins! But there's so much more to the game. You are obviously a monster tactician and stuff: I am sure that with practice you could become a very strong deepstack player!

Plus, nothing feels more rewarding in life than conquering something that seems really difficult. At least not in my young, naive opinion; I probably don't have much of a clue about life :?.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:12 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

cowpig wrote:
curtains wrote:

Don't you miss the part in your poker career where you were excitedly learning new things and improving and stuff? And heads-up you get to crush people like they're little children-- it's very satisfying. Besides, you're never going to be the super-champion you should be playing with a short stack. Obviously you are smart enough and have what it takes to become very good at poker. Don't let the easy road strip you of your ambitions!

To draw an analogy to chess: it's as if you've memorized a bunch of openings and decided that the game should end on move 10. Whoever has the best position on move 10 wins! But there's so much more to the game. You are obviously a monster tactician and stuff: I am sure that with practice you could become a very strong deepstack player!

Plus, nothing feels more rewarding in life than conquering something that seems really difficult. At least not in my young, naive opinion; I probably don't have much of a clue about life :?.

Dude I don't think you understand. Everyone needs to make a living. I don't work at all except for playing poker 2-2.5 hours a day, and I make what most people would consider a very nice living doing so. I simply don't want to fuck with that. I'll play chess, scrabble any other game, but no fucking way I'm going to sit around and fuck with my livelihood in some silly quest to become great at a game that I'm not that excited about anyway.

Some things in life you need to treat very professionally, and that's how I treat poker. No shots, no gambles, just take the money and spend the remaining 21-22 hours per day doing whatever the hell I want. It's not like I'm making pocket change short stacking also. It already gives me the freedom to do basically anything I want in my life within reason. (Can't buy a mansion and 3 ferraris). But I can do anything I want whenever I want pretty much all of the time because of it. I just don't see why everyone thinks it makes sense for me to start trying to force myself to learn new things about games that I'm not that interested in. Also yeah sure I do believe I could get much better at fullstacking, I just don't care to. I could get better at Go, Shogi, learn the guitar etc etc. I choose to get better at the things that interest me the most and that I enjoy doing. I really don't enjoy playing poker very much.

Also I HATE GAMBLING. Strange thing for a professional gambler to say, but I really really really don't like gambling with any money that ever means anything to me.

You talk about the easy road stripping my ambitions...I really have no ambitions in poker. My dream is to simply play as little as humanly possible, thus giving me time to spend the rest of my life doing things I actually enjoy and doing whatever I want all of the time. I think 2.5 hours is a pretty good amount (and if I didn't want to save money, I'm sure I could get by with 1-1.5 or so, and I take some days off and have plenty of half days as it is and etc)

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:42 am
Profile ICQ
Knight

"Now the complaining even has reached this forum, seeing cowpig's post..."

I don't see him really complaining anywhere. I don't see why you guys jumped all over him.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:04 pm
Knight

curtains wrote:
cowpig wrote:
curtains wrote:

Dude I don't think you understand. Everyone needs to make a living. I don't work at all except for playing poker 2-2.5 hours a day, and I make what most people would consider a very nice living doing so. I simply don't want to fuck with that. I'll play chess, scrabble any other game, but no fucking way I'm going to sit around and fuck with my livelihood in some silly quest to become great at a game that I'm not that excited about anyway.

Some things in life you need to treat very professionally, and that's how I treat poker. No shots, no gambles, just take the money and spend the remaining 21-22 hours per day doing whatever the hell I want. It's not like I'm making pocket change short stacking also. It already gives me the freedom to do basically anything I want in my life within reason. (Can't buy a mansion and 3 ferraris). But I can do anything I want whenever I want pretty much all of the time because of it. I just don't see why everyone thinks it makes sense for me to start trying to force myself to learn new things about games that I'm not that interested in. Also yeah sure I do believe I could get much better at fullstacking, I just don't care to. I could get better at Go, Shogi, learn the guitar etc etc. I choose to get better at the things that interest me the most and that I enjoy doing. I really don't enjoy playing poker very much.

Also I HATE GAMBLING. Strange thing for a professional gambler to say, but I really really really don't like gambling with any money that ever means anything to me.

You talk about the easy road stripping my ambitions...I really have no ambitions in poker. My dream is to simply play as little as humanly possible, thus giving me time to spend the rest of my life doing things I actually enjoy and doing whatever I want all of the time. I think 2.5 hours is a pretty good amount (and if I didn't want to save money, I'm sure I could get by with 1-1.5 or so, and I take some days off and have plenty of half days as it is and etc)

I was just trying to maybe inspire you or something! I've gained a lot of respect for you after watching your videos. I think you are pretty awesome. You have interesting opinions on a lot of things, and you seem to handle your life in a productive manner that I wish I did (I'm a big poker degenerate btw). This may sound a bit cheesy, but I think I learn a bit of life perspective from your videos, and not just chess. As such, I find myself motivated to try and inspire you to reach what I think is the poker monster that you could be.

You argue that you have no desire to become great at fullstacking, but I can't help but think that's not entirely true. I mean, I don't know if you are the same as me, but I've personally found deepstack poker to be a plaguing source of frustration and anxiety at times, because it involves skills that I'm just not so gifted at. The analytical and conceptual stuff comes very naturally to me, but deepstack poker has a whole psychological side to it which comes much less naturally to me. But I've personally found that developing those skills has made me feel like a greater person, because I'm forced to accomplish things that aren't so much easier for me than they are for other people. I'm still not so great in that particular area, but I've improved tremendously since I started playing and it's spilled over into the way I handle things in life too.

I find that the way you talk about deepstack poker is quite reminiscent of the way I've talked about it after huge downswings and begun considering other sources of income, or dropping to low stakes permanently and focusing more on other things in my life. But poker really is fun! I kind of assume that, while your situation is obviously very different (you are much better at life than me in general, are older and understand the world better than I do, and also you need to make a living whereas I am still young and being completely broke would put me in exactly the financial situation I was a bit more than a year ago), there are maybe some parallels. Anyway, this has become a bit of a ramble, but I'd like to stress that I am just trying to express my point of view and am legitimately interested in what you have to say on the subject-- especially because I've come to respect your views so much.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:03 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Even if I had a huge desire to get better at fullstacking, and I do have one but it's not nearly as big a desire as other things I want to do, I still think it'd be a bad idea because it'd be messing with my livelihood when it's completely unnecessary. I have literally zero financial pressure, and as long as it remains possible to do so, I will have none for my entire life and I won't ever have to really work for more than a 2 hours per day, because of shortstacking. I can do whatever I want all the time! I just don't see why I should mess with that. Whats the point really? What am I trying to gain? More money so I can buy some jacuzzis?

Also I love you too even though you cheated against me!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:38 am
Profile ICQ
Knight

curtains wrote:
Even if I had a huge desire to get better at fullstacking, and I do have one but it's not nearly as big a desire as other things I want to do, I still think it'd be a bad idea because it'd be messing with my livelihood when it's completely unnecessary. I have literally zero financial pressure, and as long as it remains possible to do so, I will have none for my entire life and I won't ever have to really work for more than a 2 hours per day, because of shortstacking. I can do whatever I want all the time! I just don't see why I should mess with that. Whats the point really? What am I trying to gain? More money so I can buy some jacuzzis?

haha, how did I cheat against you?

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

cowpig wrote:
curtains wrote:

haha, how did I cheat against you?

huh? I was told it was you that cheated against me on ICC. You know, making a fake account, getting the rating high up all by using a computer and then finally playing me and beating me? Did I get bad info? I know it was a 2+2er and I thought they said it was you, but perhaps I got mixed up! IF SO I APOLOGIZE!

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:14 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next