View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
curtains - L235: W vs Zil [IM] [25:07] 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Post Re: curtains - L235: W vs Zil [IM] [25:07]
hundirector wrote:
curtains wrote:
If you want to get to the next level your openings have to be good enough to compete against those stronger than you. It';s silly to focus your repretoire only on how to beat those weaker or even to you.

So, would you say that the vienna could be a viable opening against FMs and IMs, but not against GMs?
I think have three (4?) games against GMs with it, I lost them obviously(lol), but I'm no GM and that's no sample size to speak of either.
Also, could it be that I just know a ridiculous ammount about that opening (been playing that basically since i started playing chess), and I could've had the same results with any other offbeat opening?

I'm sure its viable against anyone, but if they know it well you will end up getting some kind of stupid position. There's generally a reason why top players don't play a certain opening, usually that reasoning is because the opening isn't very good against strong opposition.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:07 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1902
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Pawn wrote:
PLEASE DO NOT PLAY THE SCOTCH!!!!! It just sucks... and it isn't that interesting.
First of all the Kings Gambit isn't that bad. Black is just equal and the only line of which white has to be afraid of is
1.e4,e5
2.f4,exf4
3.Nf3,g5
4.Lc4,Lg7!
that line safes him a more or less equal game.
after 4...g4 you can play 0-0. This line is just cool and if you analyse a bit with fritz you will see that it is more or less "equal" too, but it is a dynamic equality because often white is down 1 or 2 pieces, which means that he has such a strong attack which is worth these pieces.
All other lines in the Kings Gambit aren't that great for black.

If you do not want to play the Kings Gambit and you do not want to play the heavy theory, then you could play the ponziani.
You will get equal but interesting positions there and hey.... i mean you learn 30 moves of ruy lopez theory and you get an equal position too :-P
If you do want to have a look at the ponziani then i can send you some analysis done by me some time ago with fritz 10 and my head. ;)
The main problem with the ponziani though is, that nearly all games even by strong players are bad. The often play it as a surprise weapon and therefore they are not really well prepared and they do not really improve it, they just play the old lines which aren't the best.
If you do not want to play that aggressive openings then you can think of playing the exchange variation of the ruy lopez.
In the exchange variation you can just torture you opponent without any risk. Black has to play very accurate and if he does so then he can maybe get a draw, but black has no real winning chances.

Well.... i hope you do not play the scotch :P

oh and if you do not know what the ponziani is:
1.e4,e5
2.Nf3,Nf6
3.c3,(d5 or Nf6)
the ponziani is garbage it simply doesnt work

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1859
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Try 2 Bc4, then you have options such as the Urosoff Gambit against the lower rateds and more solid lines like the Italian when you face a biggy.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2361F
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Great video Greg.

Highly entertaining and instructive to follow your "raw thoughts" on life, the universe, everything, your rotten position, how the Ruy Lopez sucks, the pressure from your public to play the King's Gambit, and how to operate ChessBase like a Maestro to find stuff that you both like AND gets a respectable %!

Cheers,
Graham

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
I always imagined curtains playing something like the center game e4 e5 d4 just cause he can always make something out of nothing and get pressure!

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3