View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Gentle's Gym 
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Post Re: Gentle's Gym
Accepting early draws in good positions is a mistake I used to make not too long ago. I eventually managed to dismiss this behaviour, and while it didn't do me any good in a recent game, I'm not regretting it.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:53 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Hmm, had to think about that a bit. Ok, agreed that I accepted unnecessary draws - really sth that bothers me as I put most of my time into endgame stuff and before I approach my strongest part of the game I draw...hmm ?
That I tend I play for early exchanges is an intersting observation though because it isnt sth I am aware of - except for R1.
That actually made me wonder how I approach a game. Well, I do not believe in attacking chess, meaning that if your opponent doesn't "invite" you to attack you probably can't force it. Also, I do believe in the B-pair, which means that if I can grab it I do so.
Yea, maybe I am not really seeking exchanges but I do not avoid them either.
The French games were quite interesting in regards to that. As I was faced with an "unhealthy" pawn structure (isolated pawn) I had to look for keeping my pieces in the game and active ( one reason why I think that 15.Bd3 in R3 was a horrible move). Think I am currently developing a better feeling for that absract thing "piece activity".

Yea, thx for that input..maybe I should be more self-confident OTB. Actually, I was quite a bit surprised this time how "bad" some of my opponents played considering their rating.

katar wrote:
I also thought it seemed as though you played for early exchanges and possibly accepted draws where you could play on. You can beat these people next time! :)

Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:33 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yesterday, I was able to enjoy a free lessen given by Andrewrun. Among other games we played some Grunfeld and had a theoretical discussion in the Bc4-Exchange Variation - although "discussion" might not be the appropiate term for that (you know what I mean :mrgreen: ).
Anyway, I was quite shocked and Andrewrun convinced me to either change the variation or at least take a closer look at the position again and then chage the variation. So, let's see. This is the line we played:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 Bg7 7.Bc4 0-0 8.Ne2 c5 9.0-0 Nc6 10.Be3 Bg4 11.f3 Na5 12.Bd3 cxd4 13.cxd4 Be6 14.Rc1 Bxa2 15.Qa4 Bb3

Image Image

In this position white usually continues 16. Qb4 ; instead Andrewrun tried 16.Qa3.
The idea in both lines is to play Bd2 and threaten to take the N on a5, which wins a piece because the B remains unprotected after that. Qa3 keeps the d2-a5 diagonal free for the B in contrast to Qb4.

**** 16.Qb4 b6:
Rowson gives 2 games here.
Jussopow - Anand 1994 17.d5 ( also mentioned by Andrewrun)
Timmann - Hellers 1997 17.Rc3 Be6 and black is ok

Jussopow- Anand:
17.d5 Qd6

with 2 continuations:
1. ) 18.Qxd6 exd6 19.Ba6 Ba4! and the verdict "unclear" given by Anand. I do not understand 19...Ba4 yet though. Probably, just bringing it back into safety (?). Black looks a bit clumsy and artifical.

2a) 18.Bd2 (consistent) Rfd8 (idea: e6) 19. Qxd6 exd6 given as equal
or
2b) 18.Bd2 Rfd8 19. Ba6 Qxb4 20. Bxb4 e6 21. Be7 Rd7 22. d6 Be5 23. Bb5 Bxd6!
24. Bxd7 Bxe7 as slightly better for black due to the two connected passed pawns although an exchange down.

**** 16.Qb3 :
Rowson says "nothing to worry" based on the fact that Bd2 isn't threatened (d4 square !) and gives no further analysis.
Ok, so after having looked at the Qb4 book lines given by Rowson the e6 idea looks quite nice and with some fine tuning of Fritz I will probably try:
16....b6 17.d5 e6
and the line continues:
18. Bd2 Rb8 19. d6 (19. Bf4 exd5 is an line) ...Be5 with the idea of Qf6 and try to trap the queen 20. Bb4 Qf6

21. Bc3 Bxc3 22. Rxc3 e5 (computers know no fear)23. Rxb3 Nxb3 24. Qxb3 Qxd6

Interestingly, Fritz gives this as 0.00 but only after 25. Kh1 (whut?) all others being better for black. Have to play that position a few times vs Fritz to check the ideas but it looks interesting.

Of course, 19. Bxa5 is also an option but I think with the Bishop-pair and a passed a-pawn black is fine.

Ok, anyway...it seems for now I will stay with this line (10....Bg4) "You gotta have faith!"

Sat May 28, 2011 4:59 am
Profile ICQ
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:02 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Had an interesting game on FICS yesterday.
I like to play rapid/blitz just to try new openings or in general toy around with opening ideas just to get in touch with all kind of different positions. Anyway, trying out all different kind of "e5-Sicilians" like Najdorf, Sveshinikov and Kalashnikov. Always had some problems to understand why the hole on d5 and the d6-weakness is considered to be not much of a deal *whut?*
Put that game into Fritz afterwards and to my surprise Fritz thinks black is better most of the time. Lots of flaws obviously (blitz) but interesting evaluations by Fritz.

--- 9. Bc4 : True. If white doesn't play 6.c4 that square is free - good to know that theoretically d5,e6 weakness is not an issue oO
---11...Qxe7 : Instead ...Nxe7 (Fritz) makes sense to keep in touch with d5
---13.Qd5 : Phew...if d5 hole was considered an issue I'd start to feel nervous *g*
Funnily, Fritz says that after 13...Bf5 position is still 0.00 although white surely has an optical dominance. More interstingly 13...Nd4 (idea Be6/Bf5) swings the game into blacks favour.
---20.Qe3 : Although 2 pawns down Firtz says black is better with Qxg2 (idea: Qa8)
---21....Qf7 : Equal. But after game continuation ofc winning for black
---25...Bc4 : *cough* I ...*ehem* missed sth. Raa8 still -+ (with taking on b3 after 26.b3)

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:06 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
25.Kh1 looks like an only move to me. You do not have a passed a-pawn, you have connected passed pawns. With all other things being equal CPP win. Obviously all things in the diagram are not equal, but the plans are clear.
1.You already know all K+P endings black wins.
2.Due to the endgame co'ordination principle, if you exchange off queens and a pair of rooks - black wins. So aiming just for the queen exchange is not enough!
3.White has two minor pieces against a rook, so must attack the white king - it is whites only chance. White also must avoid exchanges, as he needs as many pieces as possible to mate the black king!
4.As you know, to mate the king white needs to expose it, which demands exchanging the black king pawn cover. So white needs a pawn break!

The white king is exposed on g1 to checks - forks against his K+Q leading to exchanges. White needs to start pushing pawns, but this would expose his king even further to those dreaded exchanging combinations by black. So white plays Kh1 to tuck his king away. I guess only a comp could tell you if it is the most exact move in this position, but it is the most flexible move white has available, as well as being a ' must move ', pretty soon. It is in fact a very human move, one I think most white players would make in the diagram position almost ' by hand ' .

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:55 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

@Pobble
Thx for the reply, Pobble :D Was a bit confused at first because I didn't get that you were talking about the Grünfeld position but tried to make sense out of your comment reflecting on the Sicilian game...yea, wasn't quite possible *blush*
And yes, I think you are right. White actually can't really just sit and wait because the pawns are too strong but in order to attack the king he needs the pawn breaks as black's king is pretty safe....so exactly what you are saying. So, Kh1 makes sense. I think I sometimes tend to overthink stuff and 25.Kh1 didn't looked natural to me because it looks a bit "inaccurate" (not necessary now, isn't there anything better?) but actually, as you said, it makes perfect sense.

General update:
Well,....I am afraid to say it but it seems I will again change my opening choice against 1.e4.
But it won't happen too often in the future as now I will have tested everything against 1.e4 oO
Think that inconsistency comes from me not having played chess for ages. It has been 6-7 years (? with over a year break) since I first sat down over a chessboard and so I am still curious about all positions and just switch my openings as I develop ... if only it is to check the different approaches.
Ok,what's up ? Well, having played the Sicilian now for ~8-9 months in tournaments, league and innumerable blitz games, I decided to probably drop it. I started out with playing Najdorf/Scheveningen structures (e6+d6) and I have to admit that I don't like that. I always feel a bit cramped and feel uncomfy. Actually, I switched to the Sicilian (from Caro-Kann and previously French as my main openings nit counting adventures in the Alekhine, Modern and Scandinavian) because I wanted to have a free game with central control and I hold the opinion now that this isn't really possible without playing a structure that includes e5. There are systems in the Sicilian that include e5 (Najdorf, Kalashniko,Sveshnikov) but I don't like them. I just don't want to play these positions. To be honest, one of the main features I want from a position atm is to have my damn black squared bishop on c5! *g*.
Playing the Sicilian also showed me that actually playing the black side of the Sicilian isn't comfortable at all and I will therefore also try to play and work on the Open Sicilian from white's side of view.
Anyway, I am now starting to practice 1.e4 e5 positions seriously - a bit amusing that I never played that before as it is usually the first thing that is taught to beginners :D

Haven't done much tactics lately....well,...haven't visited chesstempo that is but I still love to look at the 53?? positions by Polgar , which I think is the best tactics training tool out there.

P.S.: In advance, many thx to Katar and his e4 e5 series :D

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
gentlewhisper wrote:
Anyway, I am now starting to practice 1.e4 e5 positions seriously - a bit amusing that I never played that before as it is usually the first thing that is taught to beginners :D

P.S.: In advance, many thx to Katar and his e4 e5 series :D

:salut: :clown: :albino: :pirat:

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
Sorry about the cryptic note.

Your opening history seems to mirror my own! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Been playing the Sicilian Kan for about a year now, and have never been happier against 1.e4. Basically I play 2..e6 against everything, so sometimes even get an Advance French sometimes, which has made the learning easier. Really its just common sense and not a memory opening. Played 1.e4 e5 for a few years and hardly ever got a Spanish, so spend most of your time looking at the other stuff is my advice. The Scotch was pretty rare as well, even though its popular at high levels. Gambits, all gambits - whites really like trying to trip black up in some funny variation. Learn the Bishops opening 2.Bc4 or 2.Nf3/3.Bc4, I found lower rated players loved playing it against me, trying for exchanges on sight.

Good luck.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Pobble's right, try the Kan before you drop the Sicilian. There's even lines with the Bishop on c5. ;) I love e4 e5 and in my experience all that's played are the Ruy, the Italian, the Scotch and the KG in that order, but there are a lot of minor openings/variations that come up from time to time, dangerous if you don't know them.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 am
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Thanks to Katar you have a very good repertoire ready-made for you with 1.e4 e5. I say go with that to start with and you can always tweak it (for example I would prefer 3...Bc5 or 5...Na5 in the Italian) to suit you!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Played some blitz games today and got some interesting games in my new openings.

Ok, I think I like the Maroczy bind for the moment. Seems to be very annoying for black.
14. Kxd2 : makes some sense to me endgame-wise but not sure if that is ok.
15. Nc3 ? : I think that was a mistake..15.g4 makes some sense imho to prevent ...f5. Ok, played that too quickly (blitz =P) but I think from here it goes downhill because I lose the bind.So, lesson: watch out for ...f5!

Another Maroczy but my opponent didn't play it well.

Berlin wall...

14...h5? : ...Bf5 ...dude...it's not that difficult - even in blitz

I should probably just make a small list about stuff that I will face and what I plan to play agaisnt it...just to get an overview.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

2nd post in one day ! I'm on fire =P

A fun game I just played. Had some nice ideas in it (like the queentrap on h1, castling out of the pin and a nice mate)..Note: Didn't engine-check it. Just a fun game.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:11 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

This will be sort of a megapost and data dump. Just getting a rough overview over the different systems and interesting setup lines. As I tend to lose my .pgn files and notes in the unknown spaces of my HD I'll just put them here and hopefully update stuff as I go through annotated games and stuff^^
Probably, I should put this into the statpost..well, we'll see.

P.S. Yea, I am aware of move order issues 8)

********** Sicilian

***** Nc6

Sveshnikov

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

Kalashnikov

Acc. Dragon

***** e6

Taimanov

Kan/Paulsen

Four Knights

***** d6

Najdorf

Dragon

Classical

Scheveningen

Ok, so that's a rough structure of the Sicilian

********** Open Game

***** King's Gambit

***** Spanish / Ruy Lopez

***** Italian

*** Giuoco Piano

*** Giuco Pianissomo

*** Evans Gambit

Last edited by gentlewhisper on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:35 am
Profile ICQ
Rook

Rating: 1822
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
gentlewhisper wrote:
2nd post in one day ! I'm on fire =P

A fun game I just played. Had some nice ideas in it (like the queentrap on h1, castling out of the pin and a nice mate)..Note: Didn't engine-check it. Just a fun game.

Beautiful game! The tactical themes especially the trapped queen were beautiful! The mate with 21.Qb5# would have been nice (didn't engine check it...just saw it), but I'm glad you shared the game!

Check out my Chess Blog: http://www.betterchesstraining.com/

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next