View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Gentle's Gym 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Gentle's Gym
Moving my opening stuff to the startpost (update on: Acc Dragon, Dragon, Berlin Wall) and had a fun attack in the Scandinavian.

With that he ragequit as he probably noticed I can simply take the Bd3 due to a later Nc7+ getting his queen.

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yay! Season starting on Sunday and I am really looking forward to it.
Had to skip one of my annual tournaments so I am now already 2-3 Months without a standard OTB game x_X.
Also a bit nervous as I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago and it will be my first game without my usual "move-stand up-go outside-smoke and think" habit :D

I also want to cover the German League (Bundesliga) a bit. Already prepared an intro video and looking forward to present some stuff.

Anyway, just happy and motivated that stuff starts again 8)

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:08 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
Congrats on quitting smoking! The nicotine gum helped me get through those stressful times that I previously "needed" a smoke. Of course, cold turkey is better if you can do it. Good luck with your games!

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thx Kamus :D

Okilidokelei,...so, played 1st game this season. Prepared for playing with the black pieces and got the white pieces. -.-
Yea, our 1st board couldn't make it and we only got a short-term notice...so, it's actually not me being too stupid to prepare =P
Anyway, didn't matter much because my opponent played 1...b6 - I wouldn't have prepared for that anyway ^^
Here's the game:

up to 13...c5:
Well, thought about a different setup (like f3/Ne2 style) but decided on just getting my pieces out accepting the doubled-pawns. Thought I probably undouble them during the c5-break-incident, which was black's obvious main break.
After 11.Nd2 I actually started to feel pretty comfy because I felt that black's c5-break might be met quite nicely with Nc4 and that the tactics/complications might work out well for white.

16. Bb5:
This was what I was hoping for but I missed black's reply 16...Rab8, which holds everything and suddenly white was looking a bit dubious.
Spend quite some time trying to find a good/acceptable continuation for white but didn't find any and headed for a variation, which included at least a cheapo (19...Rbxb7? ...yea, I know...desperate =P )

In the end he offered a draw because ... I don't know. Black is comfortably and promisingly better and can play on without any risk of losing, imho. So, lucky 1/2 point for me :D

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I also missed Rab8^^ 3.Bd3 and 4.c4 is the best way to meet this I think. Maybe you could have played 18. Nxb7 Rxd7 19.Nxc5 and dxc5? Not that it's a great improvement with those tripled pawns, but you might get some activity with f5 while he's busy getting his pawns back.

Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Game 2 was played last weekend and ...yes, I am a pus**..coward. Having looked at / blitzed OpenSic stuff now for quite a while I chickened out and played ClosedSic again (don't tell sfarmer, plz).

GW vs 1879

Black resigned.

Yea, that game doesn't help in persuading me to change to OpenSic *lol*

Anyway, Bundesliga (GermanLeague) also started and I prepared stuff to make a video about it but somehow I don't really know how to tackle that. Probably, I should just make it and see what's happening.

Also realized that I haven't watched much videos here lately and that I need to catch up with that :D

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:24 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

gentlewhisper wrote:
Game 2 was played last weekend and ...yes, I am a pus**..coward. Having looked at / blitzed OpenSic stuff now for quite a while I chickened out and played ClosedSic again (don't tell sfarmer, plz)....

Well the important thing is that you are a pus**..coward that wins your weenie, cowardly games :) The shame of winning must lay heavily upon you :lol: I'm not gonna mention it to Steve, so I'm pretty sure he'll never find out . :alien:
Good luck in the Bundesliga!

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hey ^^
Another update.
Have played two games since the last update. One league game and the first round of our club championship.
Let's start with the league one, which has an abyssmally low quality. I'd like to throw in that I was sick at that day but actually the game was sooo bad that sickness alone can't be a sufficient explanation for that disaster.
Here we go:
1787 vs GW : 0.5 - 0.5

Ok, apart from being sick I messed up a bit.
Against the London/Colle I usually play a d5 setup without b7-fianchetto. Fianchettoing the B makes sense to me though so I wanted to try that out. Realized that d5 + fianchetto don't really go together and I will test a d6 setup with b7 fianchetto in the future.
It's rather obvious I think that black totally messed up the first..let's say 15 moves.
Don't ask.. I have no idea what I was thinking at that time. Can't believe my eyes too...Nh5? Bh8? f5? position totally snowballs out of control...Anyway, by a miracle I think black equalizes with 20...dxc4. Think white was pretty much winning around 17.c4
Another ?? hits the board with 25....Kf7 Was in time trouble (less than 2 minutes) and didn't see 26.Bxh5 .... the game actually ended in a draw, btw !!
In the final position I offered him a draw and the combined power of:
a) his team needed half-point to win
b) he was in similar time trouble
c) he wasn't sure about 30.Nxg7 Rxg7 31.Rd8 (missing the simple 31.Qxf5)
made him to generously accept the draw. *phew*

Five days later, the club championship was much better and more interesting:
1797 vs GW 0 - 1

Yes, 17...Nxd3 indeed wins a pawn but I didn't want to think/calculate that because I thought it might be better to keep stuff on the board. Thought my position was too good to head into a +1 pawn endgame.
First "mistake" is not playing 21....Ne5. I was afraid of the pin via 22.Qf4. A bit stupid as 22...f5 would have solved that and I was thinking about ...f5 anyway (f5+Qc6 looked nice to me).
24...Nxf4: I am not sure..obviously I thought about that for a while and I concluded that if I don't sac in this position I should probably stop playing chess. Isn't that clear though...
Real mistake now: 23.Rg3+ wins immediately but the game finish is nice, too.

Currently at 3 out of 4 (vs avg 1812) this season and despite the blackout in the league still holding a 2000+ performance ... gogogo!

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
blackout?

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:44 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yea, the game which ended in a draw should have been a very clear loss.
Ok, so result-wise it wasn't a blackout but qualtiy-wise the game was exceptionally bad 8)

ketchuplover wrote:
blackout?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Pawn

Rating: master
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Tournament starts tomorrow. Yes! but is advisable to refresh brain by doing some checking in the tactics to be used, otherwise, a supposed winner might loose to an inferior mate. I advice people that will take part in the tournament to do some checking.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

lexybam wrote:
Tournament starts tomorrow. Yes! but is advisable to refresh brain by doing some checking in the tactics to be used, otherwise, a supposed winner might loose to an inferior mate. I advice people that will take part in the tournament to do some checking.

WTF?

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Weekend 4 of the league got played yesterday.
Game ended more quickly than I wanted it to but I was a bit annoyed and just wanted to get done with it at some point.
Although it was an important game for our team we had some really really sloppy games.
One team member forgot to turn off his mobile and guess what - yes, it rang after 15 mins.
Another one "wanted to try sth." in the KIA and was down 3 pieces suddenly ...wtf?!?
So, the moment our team officially lost I immediately offered a draw and it got accepted.
As that was a quickie I at least got home in time for London :D

GW vs 1850 - Draw

5....Bg4:
Oki, very good line for black and I got a bit excited because last time I dealt it with it I found a nice idea, which I am eager to test against a stronger opponent.

6....Bxf3:
Not critical

8.Qxf6:
Debateable.
Basically, it's just the decision if the Qs should stay on the board. But where to put it ? Qb3? Qg3?
Qd1? ... didn't see anything convincing and decided to swap it off "tempo inefficiently" as I also thought that the N is probably worse on f6 than on e7 here.

15.b3
calculated 15.d4 exd4 16. Nf5 a bit to force my beloved K-side structure but I didn't believe it.
16....Na4 looks annoying because if I had lost my b pawn it wouldn't have made sense anymore.
b3 to prevent it but that ofc allowed ...c5

Final position:
Ok, I think white actually has a very nice position if only for the fact that black didn't have and has no play at all. Probably a much more comfy "grind" position for white.
Ideas to continue were
a4, Rdf1 maybe Rg4 ...
Anyway, for reasons stated above we decided to draw here.
All in all...well, a very safe draw against 1850. That's ok.

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:40 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Some time ago I stumbled upon a chapter in Polgar's "5334 Probs.Comb and Games", which only consisted of mating attacks and patterns, neatly ordered by the sensitive key square (like f6, h7..).
Finally, I managed to plough through all of them (600 !) and it was great.
I feel that my tactical arsenal is now so upgraded and armed that I should be scared of myself ! :D
Also have the most interesting ones in Fritz now, so that I can quickly click through them and look at them again.
Thinking about updating my recommendation when asked what books were needed / useful from "A book on basic engames. Rest can be found on the internet" to " A book on basic endgames and Polgar's book for tactics. Rest can be found on the internet."

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:18 am
Profile ICQ
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm scared of you just reading this :shock:

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next