View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Gentle's Gym 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: Gentle's Gym
Just played an amusing blitz game...5 of first 12 moves were Queen moves. This shouldn't go well
(also showing secret opening prep. to kamus...playing Petrov *gnihihi* )

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:20 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yo Ho !

Had a very exhausting but very good league match today. Got grinded and tortured for about 4.5 hours by my opponent and we both had to cope with time trouble. Move 40 was made with less than 30 seconds left for both.
Thx to Kamus...guess the loss gave me the will and strength to survive this one :D

Too tired for posting my analysis now.

ELO 1992 vs Gentlewhisper
PGN

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

draw

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Sounds like you've been having some good results lately in the league. How many games you played/points scored/average opponent rating?

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rating: 1698
I should come here more often- just to find out what opening prep you have in store for me! Keep up the good work, GW :)

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

League: 1787+1879+1787+1850+1992 -> 3 / 5 no loss = 60% vs avg1859
Time: 2hours/40 + 1hour/rest

Club: 1797 -> 1/1 = 100% vs avg1797 (yea, I have to catch up on that. We actually are in R4 :shock: )
Time: 2hours/game

Sarciness wrote:
Sounds like you've been having some good results lately in the league. How many games you played/points scored/average opponent rating?

Yea, experimenting with the Petrov atm. Sometimes I just don't feel like playing sharp Sic lines and for that case I'd like to have a backup plan to fall to. Hoped to get some Petrov practice in our game :(

Kamus the Invincible wrote:
I should come here more often- just to find out what opening prep you have in store for me! Keep up the good work, GW :)

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 2200
Rating Class: National Master
Move 13 is an interesting moment, as such situations happen so often. The knight is in your half of the board and is thus irritating. GW you played the opening too passive but white was very quick to release the tension- note the rooks are not playing yet. 13..Bxe5 should be consigned as a last resort. Your Bg7 has the potential to be strong. His knight is supported only by one pawn. Your actually the one pressuring the centre. If you can just force him to retreat, you will have equalised. Lets just target d4 and see what happens. 13..Ne6 14.Be3 c5 when it is too late for 15.Nf3. To be tricky, he can try 15.d5 Bxe5 16.dxe6 fxe6 17.Qg4. But you could have just interposed a queen swop. Maybe 15...cxd5 is even better? 16.cxd5 Bxe5 17.dxe6 fxe6. You would need to check these lines yourself to see how good they are.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hey Pobble :D Thx for commenting

I was also a bit concerned about my passive position. After 11. Bxe4 was the first time I took a closer look into the position. The "all-out-exchange"-line which happened in the game was a line I was uncomfy with because I was a bit concerned about the endgame. At move 11. white also still had the bishop pair. My analysis from Sunday of that phase of the game. I always share that with a friend so I am just translating it:

**** instead of 11...Bh3
Recognized that as an intersting position and calculated the following lines:
a) 11...Ne6 12.Be3 c5 13. d5 and things got a bit fuzzy, continued to calculate 13....Bxe5 14.dxe6 Bxe6 and now I wasn't sure about that. I recognized I am up a pawn and I am attacking c4 but also that c5 AND b7 (Ra8 still) is hanging and I wasn't able to correctly judge/visualize that position in my head.

b) 11...f6 Only looked at that for a moment because the hole on e6 and blocking the B didn't look attractive but Fritz gives a very nice line here based on 12.Nf3 Bg4 and then pushing the f--pawn to open the f-file and work with the pin.

As said above...I also felt uneasy with the game continuation because I was concerned about the endgame

13....Bxe5
Stopped again to look at 13....Ne6 instead but here wasn't sure about 14.Be3 c5 15.d5 Bxe5 16.dxe6.

As white has given up his Bishop pair with 12.Bg2 I felt much more comfy to go for an endgame. I was still aware of the fact that B > N might get a bit tricky but there were still both R on the board, so I went for it as the other line I had in mind (Ne6) also wasn't clear to me
---
Ok, I mean I didn't have a variation diagram in front of me, that's probably the main issue 8) , but I correctly calculated these lines and in the end just lacked confidence to go in for that.
I think I tend to overstimate my opponents a bit atm. I do see such variations which I think might be good for me but then it always irritates me that my opponent allows that - I mean they are supposed to be stronger than me. I do slowly build up that confidence though because post-game analysis of my recent games start to show me that I do have a good judgment on the position. Atm, I really do think I need a bit more confidence to trust my calc and intuition.

I enjoyed this game a lot (in hindsight, while playing it was torture due to blacks passivity) because I think I hold the endgame quite nicely. Had some nice N maneuvers in there which tactically held the position :)

Thx again for commenting ,and nice to see that I share the same opinion as you about the position. :mrgreen:

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:12 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
gentlewhisper wrote:
League: 1787+1879+1787+1850+1992 -> 3 / 5 no loss = 60% vs avg1859
Time: 2hours/40 + 1hour/rest

Club: 1797 -> 1/1 = 100% vs avg1797 (yea, I have to catch up on that. We actually are in R4 :shock: )
Time: 2hours/game

so basically you're 4/6 against 1850 opposition? That's an excellent start to the season- performing at around 1950. It's only 6 games but a terrific start :D Now I've got to play you in CVTV and I think I'm performing around/slightly lower level. Should be interesting!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Not that much has happened since last time. Next league match is on Sunday, but in the meantime I am enjoying myself in the classical openings. Playing Petrov at the moment, which is more interesting than I thought, and also dropped my Grunfeld for 1 game to check out ...erm...not sure what it is...Slav, QGD or so, for the first time.
Classical openings are actually quite nice to play. One just feels safe and not always on the brink of self-destruction like in the Grunfeld or Sicilian.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:27 pm
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hey, just a quick update posting/saving some games. Have played only 4 OTB games the last year (busy with work *sniff*) and not against tough position as my club
placed me on the lower board as I wasn't sure how often I could play this season - 3.5/4 is the result (1940 performance which is strangely high taking into account my opponents ratings, which were around 1600 - guess getting a full point counts for sth ^^). Managed to visit our regional championships 3 times this week but still didn't find time to also participate which made me a bit sad...but I am picking up chess again now as I expect things to calm down soon.

GW vs 1806 (1-0)

1572 vs GW (0-1)

Sadly, I am missing the pgn/scoresheet of the other two games. One of it actually doesn't matter as it was a short draw. The other was a quite Caro-Kann where he lost a piece at move 30 or so due to a cute little tactic..anyway, if I find it I will post it.
This journal is actually quite handy to save one's games. For some reason I simply can't keep a tidy database on my computer :lol:

Need to revise endgames. As said, I was watching some games at the regionals and especially rook endgames (that R vs R+1 pawn stuff) gave me some headaches..."Yea, how was that Philidor working?..Wait, is that a draw? Wasn't there a way to win, or was the draw forced ? Doesn' matter as I can't remember the exact plan anyway *sigh*"

Last edited by gentlewhisper on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:57 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Nice games, GW! I hope everything works out for your return.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ok, tourneyward ho! (?). Only 4 weeks to go. Picked up my chess books again and would like to play some games where I can think about stuff (so, non-3-min-games).
Maybe someone is up for a game or two (maybe dual commentaries) on FICS ? I am an easy target atm =P

Finally got persuaded into having a Facebook account also :roll:

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:51 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11