View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
TheEnterprise training journal 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Post Re: TheEnterprise training journal
I just edited my sentence structure above in the original post.

Thanks a lot for the post, Whis. I have Silman's The Amateur Mind. Having purchased it over a year ago, there remains ~1/3 unread. :oops: I need to take chess more seriously since I want to get better.

I had a hard time deciding how to develop my pieces once the R+N for Q trade happened. I'll see if I can find My System on amazon and I'll check out that link. Thanks again for the post.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:24 am
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
One important concept I learned from this site (Coehlo in particular, the Capablanca-Ragozin match), is the concept of consolidation. Whenever I pick up a winning material gain, the first reaction I have, is "how can I stifle any counterplay?". I think it is important to take some moves for prophylaxis when winning material, prior to initiating attacks etc. In the case of your game, look at the position after white moves in move 12. This looks like a position from Silman's book! He has the open H file, the d3 square for his bishop, his N is out etc. Blacks pieces are all on the starting squares. So before you can utilize your advantage, you must stop white. The reason I mention this is the line in your post about having a hard time deciding how to develop your pieces. I think in this case, the answer would be in the form of a question - 'How can I develop my pieces so as to limit white's initiative?'. So moves like Bg4, Qf6/e7, Nd7-f6, Re8 stuff like that comes to mind for me. Other players might disagree and advocate immediately pressuring whites queenside. I guess that is up to the individual. But to me, white's king is doomed to be open, white has worse pawn structure, everything in the position points to white losing the endgame. So I would just make sure to survive to the endgame, not by being passive and defensive, but playing to restrict white for another 10 moves or so, before commencing total slaughter. I am no expert, but prob I would play Qe7 followed by Bg4 and Nd7 and Re8 type setup, trying to tie white to defense of the e pawn, so restricting one of his pieces. I'd actually trade the B for N on f3 just to simplify a bit, even tho it prob violates all kind of principles, the pawns on the Kingside seem like they would be really weak. Anyways, maybe someone stronger could comment.

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:49 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

ChessTempo ratings:

Blitz: 1910.7
Standard: 2320.5
Theory: 1596.6
Practice: 1723.9

My biggest weakness on ChessTempo is endgames. Even R+P v R I have difficulty solving the fastest way. Normally I have a couple extra moves which means my theoretical knowledge is incomplete. My plan is to take a break from Blitz and Standard and concentrate on a few of these endgames until I have a better understanding.

I also have a work related test coming up and I have been procrastinating horribly so I want to cut down on my chess time.

I wanted to post an instructive endgame video on Nimzowitsch vs Capablanca and another on B+R v R but I have not even posted a video on the Steinitz game I had planned for in January. So I make no promises this time, but I hope to contribute more videos in the future (after 26 March when I have my exam).

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

30 0, White against Fritz 9 with 1600 rating

It was a technical draw at the end had I swapped off rooks and pushed the b pawn. 29. f4 is winning I think. Moves 29-33 were just awful. I need to work on the middle game and ending.

Sat May 15, 2010 12:46 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ok, time for an update.

As far as Black openings, Katar's e5 series has helped a lot. There are only a couple of videos where I've thought "this is not to my style of play." Maybe because my style of play is still best described as amateurish? :)

There are also some good videos on the site I need to rewatch on the Dutch, Slav, eimaj's Benko, Alapin, and basic QG
I downloaded Peter's database but haven't gotten around to looking at it.

I'm also so sick of playing against the Colle, Stonewall (Dennis has a nice delayed e6 to bring out Black's light squared bishop but I still don't know what to do after that :/ time to rewatch that video, too) and of course the Diemer Gambit which is crap unless you play it against me apparently then it's a free win :d

I had an awesome session on chesstempo blitz where I made an all time high of 1970, past two days I've gone down all the way to 1880 it's like my mind is in the clouds in a bad way! Oh well... hopefully I can figure this out before the team league game tomorrow at 16:00 server time...

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:01 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
TheEnterprise wrote:
Ok, time for an update.

As far as Black openings, Katar's e5 series has helped a lot. There are only a couple of videos where I've thought "this is not to my style of play." Maybe because my style of play is still best described as amateurish? :)

Hey TheEnterprise, I have to ask, if you don't mind-- which are the videos that were the most helpful and which ones didn't match your style of play? :P For convenience, you can just list numbers 1-9 from the numbered list here:
http://www.chessvideos.tv/wiki/index.ph ... _for_Black

Thanks.

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

I can't believe it's been six months since I last posted and I'm sorry I did not respond to your question, Katar.

My style has changed a little bit since then and I must confess to having forgotten a lot of the lines in your videos. Re-watching them and putting them into Fritz is a top priority. I will try to get you specific examples of what I'm having problems with soon.

I played my first game of the new year today on chesscube. I'll try to do a bit of analysis on it soon.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:04 am
FIDE Master

Rating: 2300
Rating Class: FIDE Master
hey, you appear to be interested in getting better with your chess. If I can be of help please feel free: http://chesstrainingschool.com/

my contact info is there, any questions I will answer them.

Charles

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:07 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Hey guys, it's been awhile since an update. Funny to see how poorly I follow through with my chess plans. Perhaps I set my sights too high.

Quite proud of this game, too. My opponent didn't play very well but I tried my best to build a slow attack and to occupy good squares with my knight. The finish is pretty cool, not sure how sound it is.

Not internet at my home, just the office. So my plans are to buy some videos off chessvideos.tv, download them on a usb key at work so I can watch at home.

I recently read Josh Waitzkin's Attacking Chess which I recommend. I bought Reuben Fine's Basic Chess endings at Half Price Books for like $4 but it's in old annotation :/

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Nice use of Arabian mate pattern in the end!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

Thank you so much, Zibbit. I also wanted to thank you for the Ruy Lopez pawn ending. I've been purchasing your videos but since I have no internet at home, I've just been downloading them on a USB card and then watching them on my laptop so I haven't replied :/

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 am
Pawn

Rating: 2 range
:P nice work

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:34 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

My friend colindru's rekindled interest in chess has rubbed off on me.

The new 2012 plan:

~95% endgame study
~5% long time control games, full analysis of each one.

I'll continue to lurk/buy Zibbit/Curtains videos as well but the only internet I have is at work so I rarely get the opportunity to thank them these days.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 pm
Pawn

Rating: 1861 FICS
Good to see you back man :)

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:26 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post FICS 15 0 game
ANNOTATED PGN HERE:

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

8. Bg5?

Inaccurate, 8. e4 followed by h3 and Be3 places the bishop in a better sport. For example, 8. e4 e5 9. h3 Re8 10. Be3 exd4 11. Nxd4 Nc5 12. Qc2

12. e4? Houdini thinks Rfd1 and b3 were better moves and I agree. I have a weakened d4 square now.

18. Nc3? Black gave up b5, but my plan is kind of slow. Because of my weak d4 square, Black takes the initiative. I think everything is okay, but maybe Rd5 was the more powerful idea.

[18. Rd5! Lyublinsky-Botvinik, Moscow 1943. Annotated by Maxe Euwe (?): "The placing of a rook at a strongly supported point on an open file gives winning chances, especially if the Bishop pair is retained." Seems like a definite possibility for this game.]

22. Nxd4 exd4 Bf4 is better. I did not even consider this move because Rd1 is threatened. I don't think it's laziness, rather
a) I'm rusty at tactics
b) I've created a bad habit of not looking deeper into variations due to playing shorter time controls.

23... Qb6 24. Nd2 a4 =

24. Nd2? Another tactic missed.

[24. Nxd4 Bd7 24. Nb5]

25. a4 This is my favorite move of the game. I wanted to resolve the Queenside and get my knight to c4 before playing f4 and advancing the center pawns.

29. Nc4 I was extremely happy with my position here. I think I have won the battle for better minor piece.

30. d6? This move may be okay, but it was not necessary to get ahead of myself. I still need to play Qb5 and Kg1 or Kg2 and I don't think there is much counterplay for Black in the meantime.

31. Qb5? Definitely an inaccurate move because of 31. Qb7! 32. f3 f5 33. d7 Red8 34. Kg2 and Black is better.

34. Ke2! One of the coolest moves of the game analysis. White sacrifices the e4 pawn. It's definitely better for Black not to capture.

[34. Ke2 Rxe4+ 35. Kd3 Rxe1 36. Rxe1 Rd8 37. Nxb6 Rxd6 38. Nc4 Rd8 39. b6 Black has an extra pawn, but Houdini thinks White is up a minor piece.]

36. Ke2 still the better move.

38... g5? No benefit for giving up control of f5.

[38... Rf8 39. Rf1 Rf5 This is what I thought Black would play. I wasn't sure how to make progress in this position. 40. Kd3 Bh6 41. Rce1 Maybe Black can hold the draw now? It's definitely not the direction I would have wanted to take the game.]

39. Bxe5??

41. Kd3! Sacrificing the knight for (#2) Kxe5 42. Rce1+ Kd5 43. Rf5#;
or 41. Nc6 Re8 42. Kd3, both better than what I played.

47... c4 Putting up more of a fight.

Conclusion: I'm happy that I seem to be making progress in positional play/middle games. I have been studying endgames in my spare time but I'm not sure if that showed in this latest game.

My tactics are not great though. In addition to that, my opening knowledge isn't great either. I should be challenging myself to look more deeply into positions and giving myself an opportunity to do this by playing longer time control.

Comments/criticisms greatly appreciated.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next