View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14] 
Video Manager

Post curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14]
Poster: curtains
Name: International Master Gregory Shahade
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 2140
FIDE Rating: 2463
World Rank: 1285
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.77 (13)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: whiskeytown

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
Post Re: curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14]
Comment on this PM please. I feel comfortable posting it here since the guy said he wanted to post on main forums but felt maybe I didn't want him to. So I've decided its okay to show the world!!:

Hi,

I'm sending this as a PM in case it might bother you if posted in the forums. I think you're a really smart guy but there are some things which would give a much better impression. Please don't take this the wrong way.

While I like your games and analysis, the English is occasionally like nails on a chalkboard. It probably stands out like a move such as Ke2 after 1. e4 e5 would appear to you. Like chess, grammar has its own logic and rules which are standardized so we can all understand each other quickly and precisely. I don't mind the incessant likes so much but when I hear something like "maybe there's (there are) some first time watchers" (~00:30), "I think I played good (well)." (~23:00), or "would of (have) went" (~36:30), this sounds horrible and illogical . We all make mistakes and I don't mean to be too harsh. I used to make some mistakes in English too but I've hopefully corrected most of them. I just want you to be aware so that maybe you will try to avoid this in the future. Again, I do appreciate your videos.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 am
Profile ICQ
Knight

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
lol that PM is way off. Your eccentricities, and especially the way in which you talk, make your videos the priceless gems they are.

[edited to remove my evil profanity]

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:28 am
Knight

PS: The quality in this video seemed unusually bad-- if you lowered the quality setting or something I'd prefer if you changed it back

PPS: Whoever sent that message is obviously wound up tighter than a broken chess clock and is probably an unhappy person, so I don't want to mock him. But I have to hold back.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:41 am
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Very condescending. IMO, nitpicking trivial details in an attempt to appear "smart" is a sign of insecurity. Also, "would've" and "would of" are homophones. (how's that for irony!)

curtains wrote:
While I like your games and analysis, the English is occasionally like nails on a chalkboard.

I must admit my first reaction was "AMEN BROTHER!" until i realized he meant English the language rather than the opening, 1.c4. :tongue:

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:21 am
Profile WWW
King

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Don't tell me you didn't see this coming. Every forum has its very own grammar police.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:40 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2330
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Pompus assclown...bet he aren't (pun intended) voluntaring to let everybody know his username!

Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Premium Member
Premium Member

cowpig wrote:
PS: The quality in this video seemed unusually bad-- if you lowered the quality setting or something I'd prefer if you changed it back

PPS: Whoever sent that message is obviously wound up tighter than a broken chess clock and is probably an unhappy person, so I don't want to mock him. But I have to hold back.

I didn't do anything to the quality....seems ok to me too? What do you mean exactly?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 am
Profile ICQ
Knight

hahaha I'm KingDestroyer....... I haven't ever said that so don't know why you thought you knew me....

I felt like huge idiot watching it back didn't realize how dang slow I was playing.... Probably nervous I was on video and also my position was seemingly really strong and had lots of possibilities lol.. anyways good game, hopefully I get a rematch sometime!

P.S The PM'er is just really silly imo.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:53 am
King

Rating: 1601
lol the PM'er cracks me up. ur english is not bad at all. It makes the videos entertaining!! I mean ur trying to play a blitz game and talk at the same time. Thats hard enough! You can't have 100% perfect grammar. You dont have a script to read off of and everything is happening so fast. This is not an essay for an english class. This is a CHESS video for ur enjoyment. I dont see how someone can be so bothered by a few grammar errors in ur video. I myself don't seem to notice them. This is a chess video... not a grammar lesson. :D

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:31 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:33 am
Profile ICQ
Premium Member
Premium Member

ccmolitoris wrote:
lol the PM'er cracks me up. ur english is not bad at all. It makes the videos entertaining!! I mean ur trying to play a blitz game and talk at the same time. Thats hard enough! You can't have 100% perfect grammar. You dont have a script to read off of and everything is happening so fast. This is not an essay for an english class. This is a CHESS video for ur enjoyment. I dont see how someone can be so bothered by a few grammar errors in ur video. I myself don't seem to notice them. This is a chess video... not a grammar lesson. :D

In all fairness do note that the video this guy was responding to was back in the old days when I didn't do the videos live. Of course why anyone would watch those compared to these I have no idea, perhaps he hasn't found this forum yet?

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:08 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
Ah yes, excellent discussion! I can finally tell you then: I believe it's [sure] not [shore], that's the thing you've going to a lot lately. I really would like you to think about this, especially when you're low on time. If you get sloppy with your language when you have only 20 seconds on the clock, then your chess will become sloppy aswell. You just have to stay cool and collected, take a deep breath and then return to the game and your commentary!

After all, you're a rolemodel, not to say 'hero' or 'god' to your viewers. If you use bad grammar, then we will obviously all copy you, especially the ones who don't have English as their first language.

Furthermore, people might actually start to wonder what you want to say: "'Shore'? I don't see any shore? Does he mean the edge of the board?". You could as well grunt the entire video and point with your mouse if you're unwilling to use correct English!

Yeah, I can understand this guy very well. After 260 videos I think also you, Curtains, understand that we're not really watching your boring gamestyle, but rather focussing on your language? And apart from that, grammarnaziing is just too much fun! Especially if your English isn't your first language. Lastly, we grammarnazis just want to help you out becomming a better person and all! You should thank us!

One thing about grammarnazis though is that they usually tend to mess up their first sentences themselves*. The grammarnazi-organ is something like a nuclear powerplant: it takes time to get it up and running after you've shut it down (when you're not writing that is). Plus it tends to destroy the atmosphere when it's being too busy...

curtains wrote:
I'm sending this (as a) PM in case it might bother you if I posted it on the forums

Regretfully that's only a minor mistake :(... And regretfully I spent too much time writing this. If anyone reads all of this though, that's even more stupid :P.

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 am
Pawn

PM'er needs to accept how real people talk. There is no difficulty understanding you "quickly and precisely".

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:33 am
Rook

Rating: 1560
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
RAU4ever wrote:
Ah yes, excellent discussion! I can finally tell you then: I believe it's [sure] not [shore], that's the thing you've going to a lot lately. I really would like you to think about this, especially when you're low on time. If you get sloppy with your language when you have only 20 seconds on the clock, then your chess will become sloppy aswell. You just have to stay cool and collected, take a deep breath and then return to the game and your commentary!

After all, you're a rolemodel, not to say 'hero' or 'god' to your viewers. If you use bad grammar, then we will obviously all copy you, especially the ones who don't have English as their first language.

Furthermore, people might actually start to wonder what you want to say: "'Shore'? I don't see any shore? Does he mean the edge of the board?". You could as well grunt the entire video and point with your mouse if you're unwilling to use correct English!

Yeah, I can understand this guy very well. After 260 videos I think also you, Curtains, understand that we're not really watching your boring gamestyle, but rather focussing on your language? And apart from that, grammarnaziing is just too much fun! Especially if your English isn't your first language. Lastly, we grammarnazis just want to help you out becomming a better person and all! You should thank us!

One thing about grammarnazis though is that they usually tend to mess up their first sentences themselves*. The grammarnazi-organ is something like a nuclear powerplant: it takes time to get it up and running after you've shut it down (when you're not writing that is). Plus it tends to destroy the atmosphere when it's being too busy...

curtains wrote:
I'm sending this (as a) PM in case it might bother you if I posted it on the forums

Regretfully that's only a minor mistake :(... And regretfully I spent too much time writing this. If anyone reads all of this though, that's even more stupid :P.

I don't even know what you're trying to say.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next