View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14] 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Post Re: curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14]
Malfurion wrote:
For the record, the article is in fact superfluous. (You also had a typo, but I digress...)

The sentence is:

"While I like your games and analysis, the English is occasionally like nails on a chalkboard."

If you remove the article, you get "While I like your games and analysis, English is occasionally like nails on a chalkboard." which means something different. At least, it means something different to me. If it means the same to you, then I guess you're right that the article is superfluous. Hey, maybe we're both right! [That's a draw offer. If you decline it, I resign]

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 am
Pawn

You talk g00t imo. Most of the nitpicking seems to be about pokerspeak. I run bad, you play good, whatever.

I'm just a lurker from 2p2 that sucks at chess (like, a lot..), but I love your vids. :)

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:37 am
Probation

Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
I think curtains should take some time to talk about this stuff if he hasn't already in the few vids I haven't watched... it's kind of interesting...

When the humans didn't have language there was chaos... language helps a society by making it more intelligent and civilized. I don't really know how to explain this properly but... I'll just give an example: Like when someone is in the military and they call someone with a higher rank by a different name and it's not all buddy buddy that’s how language helps humans........bad example. Uhhhhhh....mmmmmhh... Basically, I don't really give a shit but I think if humans all tried to lean more towards perfection than not giving a crap there will be more order etc. Some things we do are totally senseless and just makes life harder for ourselves and stuff... this shit goes deep and I'm just sounding retarded right now but just give it some thought I'm sure you'd find some sense in what I have to say.

My grammar totally sucks, especially since English is not my first language and I haven't ever really been all that concerned.

Also, language adapts to its culture and some things are really normal to say... like "Can I be excused?" My old english teacher would say "Yes, that is possible." or something not really answering you but letting you know you fucked up some english. Correct would be "May I be excused?"

BUT REALLY, everyone talks that way. It's just how it is. Doesn't that make it fine? Easier?

I don't really know what to do is best... to care ... or not to care.

I don't though.

ABOUT THE VID/GAME:

Good game, well played never made any stupid moves that forces the game... I enjoyed the analysis because I used to play that lines as white when I was first starting out in chess, but ofcourse I never really knew what I was doing.

Thanks to whomever read all my shiznitzels.

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:03 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
chris_lear is right. malfurion is wrong. just read the sentence--it should be obvious that you need "the" or "your" to make the sentence not mean that english in general is like nails on a chalkboard.

as a side note, i know its standard to say "i play good" in poker, but it always seemed stupid to me. i say "i play well." just because a bunch of hick poker players made it a standard poker phrase doesnt make it more appealing for me to use it. using it would make people question whether i knew that standard english requires "well," or it would show that ive jumped on the poker slang bandwagon to sound like a poker player. neither of those is very appealing.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 pm
Knight

Wow, what an irritating PM...fraught with signs of someone who thinks they're intelligent but actually has quite the mediocre mind. I was hoping he'd posted in this thread so I could catch him and destroy everything he said, especially his total misunderstanding of verbal communication and the purpose of grammar and grammar correction (it is only to be done when understanding is a problem, as the sole purpose of grammatical rules is to make it easier to communicate, when natural communication evolves away from old grammar rules, the rules change to reflect them, NOT VICE VERSA...or we'd all still be speaking Latin.)

Dammit, I love deflating self-important academics and pompous pseudo-intelligent people. How do I get my hands on him...

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3