View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14] 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: curtains - L267: W vs KingDestroyer [18:14]
@RAU4ever

Thx for that "LOL" ^^ - nice1

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 am
Profile ICQ
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
imagrandmaster wrote:
I don't even know what you're trying to say.

It's pure overkill to explain it though :'(... but I guess I could've been clearer.

1. Yes I'm aware that Curtains makes some mistakes with his English
2. Yeah, there are some arguments one could use in favour of using correct English.
3. But it's not always possible to think about it. For example deep time trouble and also when you're calculating deep and/or are very concentrated, you will forget about correct English.
4. I'm sure though that the guy didn't mean that bad. Certainly not as a dig or anything. He won't cry anyone a river if he is ignored, I'm sure.
5. It IS ridiculously funny to me though that whoever whines about this sort of stuff, usually does something wrong himself. And this guy makes his mistake in the first sentence, so I just thought I'd point that out. On which I could be wrong, but idc.

So that's what I was trying to say, but in the form I choose, I think I also managed to show my sincere ridicule of this entire discussion. I mean, 270 free videos already on chess and you scutinize a video for grammar mistakes?? I guess it was a pretty pointless comment though and a too artificial try to be funny, but I was BORED! Forgive me please!!

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:12 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1400
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
You certainly communicate more "quickly and precisely" then that guy. The grammar Nazis really irritate the hell out of me; thank god you don't let it affect your very excellent commentary.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:20 pm
King

Rating Class: Grandmaster
i don,t think you are entitled to nitpick if you did not even have the courtesy of contributing to the choclate fund. :mrgreen:

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:25 pm
Knight

damn you for making me look silly here.... should have made me at least look ok at this game... i did donate to choclate fund

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:19 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
mc4chess wrote:
damn you for making me look silly here.... should have made me at least look ok at this game... i did donate to choclate fund

I only speak the truth. NOT MY FAULT YOU ARE SO SLOW LOLOLOLOL

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Knight

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
curtains wrote:
cowpig wrote:
PS: The quality in this video seemed unusually bad-- if you lowered the quality setting or something I'd prefer if you changed it back

PPS: Whoever sent that message is obviously wound up tighter than a broken chess clock and is probably an unhappy person, so I don't want to mock him. But I have to hold back.

I didn't do anything to the quality....seems ok to me too? What do you mean exactly?

I guess what I mean is I'm hallucinatory.

I was bothered by the way the squares looked, but apparently they've always looked like that: not sharp, and overlapping. Maybe in this video the overlap between the squares came out particularly accented? lol, maybe I should go to bed at some point in my life!

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:50 am
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
curtains wrote:
Comment on this PM please. I feel comfortable posting it here since the guy said he wanted to post on main forums but felt maybe I didn't want him to. So I've decided its okay to show the world!!:

Hi,

I'm sending this as a PM in case it might bother you if posted in the forums. I think you're a really smart guy but there are some things which would give a much better impression. Please don't take this the wrong way.

While I like your games and analysis, the English is occasionally like nails on a chalkboard. It probably stands out like a move such as Ke2 after 1. e4 e5 would appear to you. Like chess, grammar has its own logic and rules which are standardized so we can all understand each other quickly and precisely. I don't mind the incessant likes so much but when I hear something like "maybe there's (there are) some first time watchers" (~00:30), "I think I played good (well)." (~23:00), or "would of (have) went" (~36:30), this sounds horrible and illogical . We all make mistakes and I don't mean to be too harsh. I used to make some mistakes in English too but I've hopefully corrected most of them. I just want you to be aware so that maybe you will try to avoid this in the future. Again, I do appreciate your videos.

To be quite honest, this PM infuriated me. Initially, referring to our spoken language as "the English" doesn't make any sense, as placing an article before "English" is superfluous and incorrect. I spent the entire first reading thinking that he (or she) was referring to the opening. The second thing I noticed was the lack of a comma after the reference to your intelligence in the second sentence. Soon thereafter, the absence of quotation marks ("likes") rendered the entire second paragraph completely incomprehensible. There are further glaring errors that caused me actual physical pain, all stemming from lack of simple grammatical knowledge. What many people fail to realize is that grammar, like chess, has its own logic and rules which are standardized so we can all understand each other quickly and precisely...so if the author would re-attempt his effort in a manner which is somewhat accurate I will tell you what I think of it. :roll:

..Nothing like being scolded by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. God bless America. I mean, "DRUNKEN VIKING NINJA POWER, BI-OTCH!!"

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:04 pm
Pawn

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Count me as another viewer who thought I was reading a rant against the inhabitants of England and their chess opening due to the use of "The English" instead of "your english."

I didn't even realize what it was really about until I read some of the other comments in this thread!

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

A professional writer told me that "there's" is okay to use. I thought it was wrong as well, but I trust his expertise.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:16 pm
King

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
clwilliams wrote:
A professional writer told me that "there's" is okay to use. I thought it was wrong as well, but I trust his expertise.

not when the subject (or predicate nominative) is plural.
it's about the verb conjugation, not contraction or apostrophe usage.

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Pawn

Some of the responses have already conveyed my sentiments, and are pretty freakin' hilarious, but my quick guess would be that the PMer was having his man-period. These aren't linguistic lectures buddy, get a life.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
The message about grammar was private, and it was polite. Greg's response was to be amused (I think), which is fair enough. Some of the more recent responses have been both both wrong (eg the article before English is in fact neither superfluous nor incorrect - it is required by the sense, and although "your" could be used, "the" works fine) and not especially polite.

Interestingly, the phrase "would of went", which I can understand perfectly well, and which bothers me not a bit, ought to be "would have gone" to be correct where I'm from.

But it's important, when commenting on someone's grammar, to deliberately make a few mistakes to keep the conversation going.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:24 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
chris_lear wrote:
The message about grammar was private, and it was polite. Greg's response was to be amused (I think), which is fair enough. Some of the more recent responses have been both both wrong (eg the article before English is in fact neither superfluous nor incorrect - it is required by the sense, and although "your" could be used, "the" works fine) and not especially polite.

Interestingly, the phrase "would of went", which I can understand perfectly well, and which bothers me not a bit, ought to be "would have gone" to be correct where I'm from.

But it's important, when commenting on someone's grammar, to deliberately make a few mistakes to keep the conversation going.

I don't believe the message was polite at all. Just prefacing something with a bunch of nice words doesn't make it polite. I can understand such criticism in a paper/essay where one has time to edit their work but to criticize as such in a relaxed free video in which my mind is focused 99% on chess and 1% on grammar is pigheaded and ridiculous imo regardless of how many "oh i think you are a smart guy please don't take this the wrong way" preface the message.

I could say more, but I won't.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 am
Profile ICQ
ChessVideos.TV All-star

Rating: 1802
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
For the record, the article is in fact superfluous. (You also had a typo, but I digress...)

The fact of the matter is that, in bitching about something as mundane as clarity and precision in live commentary grammar, the PMer made an ass of him(or her)self with their poorly written, imprecise, and condescending PM. If you're speaking the English and not referring to a chess opening or a native of England, that's what you'd call irony. (Now we can all start bitching about the definition of irony..)

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next