View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
curtains - L287: B vs popsike [19:41] 
Video Manager

Post curtains - L287: B vs popsike [19:41]
Poster: curtains
Name: International Master Gregory Shahade
Federation: USA
Videos Made: 2140
FIDE Rating: 2463
World Rank: 1285
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.46 (13)

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Be the first to like this video!

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:56 pm
Knight

Rating Class: Novice (<1200)
Post Re: curtains - L287: B vs popsike [19:41]
the wire is the best show ever!

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:29 am
Pawn

Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
LOL. I'm sitting here, yelling at my computer: "Just make a move Greg, any move!"

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:07 am
Knight

I have a rotation of several series of TV shows to watch while playing poker throughout the day...The Wire and The Shield are both in the rotation. I'd rank The Wire higher personally, but both kick ass.

Given my clear lack of intellect as far as chess knowledge, I felt this was a good opportunity to leave a response.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:21 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
cant believe you watch TV while playing poker....I feel like that'd ruin good shows for me! I just listen to NPR usually....sometimes sports talk, and sometimes music.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:47 am
Profile ICQ
Pawn

curtains wrote:
cant believe you watch TV while playing poker....I feel like that'd ruin good shows for me! I just listen to NPR usually....sometimes sports talk, and sometimes music.

So poker is so easy that you can play it, and make money, while listening to the radio or watching tv!? Listening to the radio while playing would affect your results in chess, right? How long did it take you to make money after you learned to play poker?

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: International Master
i turn down the radio if im suddenly in a bunch of hands at once or if things seem a bit chaotic.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:14 am
Profile ICQ
Knight

curtains wrote:

This is accurate, but this is also why I don't ever watch a show for the first time while playing poker. I have quite a few series that I enjoy (E.R., West Wing, Deadwood, The Wire, The Shield, and others), and have already watched through them at least once. So, basically I already know what is going on without really paying all that much attention to it. If I have a new show I want to watch, I can't do it while working because I'd be way too distracted.

I put in quite a few more hours than you (I have to to make a living), and I would get sick of the radio/music if that was all I listened to while playing.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:12 am
Pawn

Thanks! I learned a lot. And don't worry about 1 0 it's the time control that shows the least amount of chess skill. I can't even play it because my trackpad with max tracking speed is too slow. This is not chess - there is no thinking in 1 0 - just instinct. I'd say chess starts at 5 0.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:01 pm
Pawn

Emil wrote:
curtains wrote:

So poker is so easy that you can play it, and make money, while listening to the radio or watching tv!? Listening to the radio while playing would affect your results in chess, right? How long did it take you to make money after you learned to play poker?

There is a small element of skill in poker and this adds up after many hands. However, yes, the learning curve and complexity is infinitely lower than chess. That's a big part of why some can live off it. A bunch of what we'd call patzers in chess flood the scene and always think they have a chance because it's a game of luck. However, they're often just a meal for those that are more focused on Poker. It's too bad that chess isn't taught in schools. It would likely help academics and would also eliminate the barrier of entry to watching and enjoying it. At least to me, chess is infinitely more interesting and rewarding than Poker - but I don't have expectations to live off it.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 pm
Knight

STPX0083 wrote:
Emil wrote:
curtains wrote:

There is a small element of skill in poker and this adds up after many hands. However, yes, the learning curve and complexity is infinitely lower than chess. That's a big part of why some can live off it. A bunch of what we'd call patzers in chess flood the scene and always think they have a chance because it's a game of luck. However, they're often just a meal for those that are more focused on Poker. It's too bad that chess isn't taught in schools. It would likely help academics and would also eliminate the barrier of entry to watching and enjoying it. At least to me, chess is infinitely more interesting and rewarding than Poker - but I don't have expectations to live off it.

Yes, please everyone. Come play poker. It is mostly about luck and only has a small element of skill. Please, come play with me.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:49 pm
Pawn

Well, it is mostly about luck. However, since you play many hands, this translates into a very serious advantage for the better player. This was my point. People forget this part and mistakenly think they have a real chance against dedicated players.

However, getting better at poker doesn't matter much to me since I don't play it for money - just occasionally against friends (most of which have not learned chess properly). To me, it would be like trying to get better at arithmetic. Sure, maybe I could get a lot faster and become more accurate but it isn't something that matters to me and gives me personal satisfaction or is inherently that complex and difficult. Still, poker is fun sometimes. Arithmetic is too. I'm not completely kidding. Adding up license plate numbers while racing against the stoplight... ahhh... the thrill. :p

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 pm
Knight

Yes, I'm sure you could take the poker world by storm...lucky for the rest of us, you have decided it is not worth the effort to take all of our money. Whew...that was a close one.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:34 am
Pawn

I never said I could; I just don't know and don't pretend to be good or a future pokerstar. However, I would not devote my life to something like that when there are so many more interesting things (to me) in chess, biology, chemistry, math, art, psychology, history, etc. so it's an irrelevant question. I'm not sure where you get these strange ideas from my posts since I definitely did not brag about my skill at poker or anything else.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:50 am
King

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Poker is mostly about luck. That is just the way it is. You cannot influence the starting hand at all so.

I had the same intelligence yesterday and played the cards I got the very same way as today so the results should be the same no? Skills do influence if you have any of course. Everybody has bad and good days...

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next