View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
stry's journal 
Rook

Post Re: stry's journal
Got a couple good games in tonight on FICS. One, the opp dropped his queen by forgeting it was on same file as one of my rooks. He then proceeded to discon. Im glad FICS has the adjudication system they do.I have had to get 4-5 done this way so far and all were wins for me.In games now, I always am looking to put a rook on the same file as his queen and to get mine off his rook files. Its paid off a few times.I have noticed quite a few players in my ratings range trying the scholars mate then crumbling when it doesnt work out. Im gonna bump my seek formula up to hopefully get smarter opps.
I got 2 hours of tactics in today. I really sucked on CT.100 problems in a hour with ending rating of 1379 and solve 52.07 % Just couldnt get any of them it seemed. I did notice I got a level 2050 problem that had like a 5-6 move answer, wtf. Did 105 problems in a hour on chessimo.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:31 pm
Rook

Got hour and 45 min done on Tempo. Final rating was 1396 and solve of 51.56 %.Was 222 problems in that time frame. I still have to get out of the habit of moving fast so I will stay away from Blitz for awhile. Played one game against a 1500. There was a lot of tactics going on but he got me with a back rank right after I won a exchange :( Cant forget to create a escape hatch. Thats gonna be it for me tonight. I am extremely frustrated with my performance on Tempo past couple days.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:12 pm
Rook

Got a hour done on Ct. Final rating was 1400, blah with 52.07 % solved for 40? problems.. I am still moving too fast on a lot of problems so I need to concentrate more and more. ill also start looking around for more material on tactic training.
Played 3 games on FICS, with 3 wins against a 1276 and a 1122. One of the games I tried a fried liver attack and opp resigned after he dropped his Q on 5th? move I think, haha. Felt good to get a win with that after losing 1-2 games against it. I now know the refutation is h6 after Bc4. My rating now is 1342 with a record of 60-49-6.My seek formula is now 900-1500.
Ok 6 more days left in the week so time to set some goals. 9 hours min on tactics. Finish Silman's endgame book to my level.1399 i think it is. Get at least 2 more chapters in his A-mind's book done and reviewed. Spend some time narrowing down my opening repitore. I like the danish gambit and fried liver attack, haha, as White. As black i think ill go with the Scillian which means learning the basic moves and ideas. Not sure about black against 1.d4 yet.
I also want to keep taking my losses and running through blundercheck. When I get about 20-30 losses, Ill start to go over them looking for 1-2 common mistake themes. Am I losing in the opening or tactics, that kinda thing.
I need to get a game collection that is annotated with beginners in mind and start playing through them.

So can I be 1400 on FICS by the end of this week? By Sunday I will be 1500 on Chess tempo, thats all there is to it. :)

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:22 pm
Rook

Got two hours done on CT 114 problems with final rating of 1390 and 51.13 %. UGHHHHH. Couple hours on FICS and achieved a new highest rating with a final game that I posted. Also started Ch 3 of A-Mind and a level of Silman's endgame book.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:47 pm
Rook

Welp another day. 2 hours on Tempo with final rating of 1408 and 51.19 % solve on 220 problems. Finally, end rating over 1400. Worked on Silman's endgame book for an hour which should be the end of the 1399 section. Ill review on it rest of week.
Played 3 games on FICS, first game I got smoked. Last 2, got winning positions and the opps disconnected. Twice in a row, pissants. Got one adjudicated because opp was down rook and pawn, the other one Ill wait cuz i was just up a pawn. Ended up after the one adjudication of 1366 rating, new highest, woohoo. Still, wish could have finished playing the game out.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 pm
Rook

Not much chess done today. Did get 30 min or so done on Tempo so i wouldnt get rusty. 51 problems with end rating of 1385 and 51.19 % solve. bah, sucks. No games or reading.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm
Rook

A game between killer64 and myself. I was Black.

Ok coming back to add my look-see so to speak.
5.Nbd2 was first out of book move. Theory says o-o better for white.
7...o-o-o. i went this side so that the game would stay tense and hopefully full of tactical possiblities. I hate boring games.
I didnt want 7...dxe4 cuz then Black is down two pawns worth material.e4 was a fortress for white at this point.
9...d4 probably woulda been better.
15.cxd4 I wasnt too overly worried being down 2 pawns at this point nor did I see White's king-side attack going anywhere.
20.Bxd6+ Missed the check in previous view. i was trying for his light square bishop over on h3.
22... Rxd4. Possibly shoulda just taken.
27...Nxf4+ would have been the huge, huge winning move and I missed it.
29...Qxe6 and I knew the game was mine if I didnt fark up.
44...Rxh2# Un-real I missed it. I even said so in our chat right after i did.

Fritz's view.
13...Bxf3 would have led to black equalizing.
21...Nxf2 22.Kxf2 Qxh3 23.Kg1 Rf6 and White better be careful.
24.Qe7 was a really bad move that I shoulda have answered with Nxf2 and equalizing.
and 27... the big blunder.
29...Qxb5+ would have netted me a pawn.
and the missed mate on 44.

Last edited by stryder67 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:01 am
Pawn

Rating: 1225U
Awesome that you posted this game, I didn't have it saved I guess after I looked over the game I just forgot. Sorry about my chess that night, I think I pretty much threw the game away after getting something going. At least that's my thinking.

This is what I was thinking during part of the game and my analysis:

By the end of the 7th move we've reached basically a KIA-ish position and you have a bit more room to move around in than I. I was hoping after this position to get something going on your king to distract your pieces, then while that's going on to try and come in at the flank to the queen side to divide and conquer. That was the strategy anyways.

8.c3 I think in this position I should have just gone with taking the d-pawn to open up the e-file for my rook. However, I thought this move would be nessecary to get my queen mobile to get something going near your king. I probably should have just answered your response, ...Bg4, with h3 and got it over with in the beginning.

11.b5 I figured if you wanted to take my pawn I'll just mess things up on near your king and sweep in.

12.Qa4 I probably would've been better just pushing that b-pawn

13.Nc4 At this point I was pretty happy with the way things are going, I'm thinking about taking that e-pawn, and afterward just take a bishop and my Knight took more than it's worth so I thought it'd be fine.

18.Bh3 After some trading I thought I'd be sly and pin your Knight to your Queen and take it. However, that was just plain wrong because you can just move the queen out of the pinning scenario and protect your knight. So, I probably should have done h3 here.

18. ...Qg6 I was thinking about just pushing the e-pawn but I thought after Qxd3 I'd lose a pawn. I think the late night probably got to me on this one because looking at it now that would've been fine because I could have just took a Knight or Bishop.

20.Bxd6+ I think this where the game for me started to go from equal to in your favor because now I basically just let you double your rooks. However, I figured since I was up material might as well trade down.

21.Kg2 Better, like my analysis engine tells me is probably just take your knight and push the d pawn up.

21. ...f6 I would despise that pawn push later on in the game. So, kudos.

22.Qa3 Not so good, d5 better.

23.Rac1 would have been better on the open file next to it.

Pretty much after you took the pawn I must've panicked and tried to take some pawns, and I think from here on it was your game to win. So good job, hopefully I can have the chance to redeem myself later on.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:45 am
Profile YIM
Rook

After a absence of a few days, Im back to training.
2 hours on CT today with end rating of 1443 after 113 problems and end solve % of 51.61 %. Real good solid gain. Im starting to see patterns a little better for sure. Also got another hour done in tactics in a ebook I found. So 3 hours tactics training today. Really proud of my CT because it seemed I had flat-lined so to speak.
Played 6 games on FICS, only lost 2! End rating is 1406 with record of 73-53-6. I need to take a look at a few lines against W's gambit, it always gives me issues. Plus need to go over the sicilian, think Ill play dragon variation against 1.e4.
So tomorrow 2 hours more tactics, an hour going over the two losses from tonight and probably 30 min taking a peek at openings. Sometime I wanna to open up Chernev's book tmw so perhaps I wont spend as much time playing or less tactics, we'll see.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:15 pm
Rook

A guy at work gave me a chess program this past weekend. I took a tactics test in it and with 25 problems I scored a elo of 2039 and 46% success rate, lol. it took 45 min or so.
On Ct, I did 44 problems in a hour and my rating went up to 1467 and solve % up to 51.82%. Nice to see some improvement there for sure.
I got in 5 games today on FICS. Went 2 -3.Lowest player was 1408 and my final rating was 1403. Record now is 75-56-6. 1 loss was I blundered and dropped my Q on move 11. 2nd loss against a 1570 player I made a positional error by blocking in my dark sq bishop while playing the Dragon. Duh. 2nd major error was not adequately defending a pawn and my game fell apart from there. On the 3rd I made a bunch of little errors and ended up down bunch of material, bah.
Spent half hour or so going over dragon variation just getting familar with how the position looks and should be developed. Went over sev master level games to see how black attacks and defends from it.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:26 am
Rook

Hour or so on CT for 83 problems with end rating of 1436 and overall solve of 51.64%.
Played 2 standard games on FICS, won both.Of course I had to have 1 adj'ed again. Every night it seems like. Every one of those players gets put on my noplay list too. Rating of 1417 and record of 77-56-6. new high rating on FICS, yah!

Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:01 pm
Rook

Did 39 problems on Tempo with a end rating of 1453 and 51.75%. Whoop!
I found a mantra to chant when looking for tactics. CCT, which stands for checks, captures and threats. You look at the possiblities and in that order. During a game the times when you should be looking for tactics are when there is a weakened king, un-defended piece and/or double attacks. When one of these conditions is present, then use CCT.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:10 am
Rook

Did 51 problems on Ct with end rating of 1455 and 51.78% solve.
Im now training myself to use a mantra, CCT.Checks, captures and threats and in that order for finding tactics.During a game when no one is telling me to look for tactics, Ill use WUD, my own invention. W is for weakened king, U is for undefended pieces and D is for double attack. So during a game Ill WUD and if I find something that matches then Ill CCT.
Played 1 game afterward against a 1455 on FICS. I was black and won after a couple good tactical shots.
I got another 70 min or so on CT. 95 problems done with end rating of 1463 and 51.83% solve.
Gonna do some yard work and think about setting some goals as per http://www.chessville.com/instruction/Notebook.htm.
Played bunch of games on FICS, not happy with results.1445 with 83-59-6 record

Last edited by stryder67 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:23 am
Rook

2nd game for the day

A "bleah" game.Every trap or tactical shot I tried to setup he just threw a wet blanket on it. Going over this game, I myself didnt see any improvements or rather better ideas I could have done. Fritz found 7 blunders on my part and 5 on his.
6.Be3. Was the first Fritz found. said Bg5 then Bc4 hitting f7 and going after his queen for coming out early. Bleah.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:42 pm
Rook

Did 55 problems on tempo with end rating 1464 and 51.80% solve after an hour.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next