View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
stry's journal 
Rook

Post Re: stry's journal

A game I played today. My opponent started to get a decent king-side against me then blundered then lost to time forfeiture.

Plain pgn if anyone wants

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

My analysis and computer's thrown in as well

Hidden Text Below - [Show it] - [Hide it Again]

I'll look and consider the comments on the game I posted in the game replay forum with hopefully better analysis.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm
Rook

Got 2 good games in on FICS today. One of which was against a 1800ish player and I thought I did really well as black until the start of the endgame where I feel apart. I did my intial self-analysis with my thoughts. Tomorrow Ill go over it more slowly and possibly post it.
I finally got my hands on a copy of a book everyone has recommended so Ill start reading that possibly tonight.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:02 pm
Rook

Haven't gotten much studying or playing done over this weekend. What little time I had was spent looking stuff up and combing through my books weeding out stuff too advanced or too basic. Still trying to iron out a decent study plan. Also I was trying to cram as many tactics problems as I could into a block of time but Im beginning to doubt whether doing quantity is the way to go.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm
Rook

Pretty sure I got a decent training schedule worked out. Will post here for future reference. I'm diving my studying into 6 main themes. They are: Tactics, Endgame, Strategy, Visualization (in the beginning to learn the board by heart), Experience and Opening.
My time allocation is tentatively worked out to be : tactics-8 units, visualization-1 unit, endgames-1 unit, experience-3 units, strategy-2 units and opening -1 unit.
Each "unit" is a measure of time and the allocation I described above is 1 cycle. When I complete the cycle, I will begin it again.
All of these is of course subject to revision but I want to get at least 1 week done to hopefully give a objectionabe review. I hope its weighted heavily to reflect my level and what I need to concentrate on at my level to improve as quickly but to lay a solid foundation.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:59 pm
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Seems like a cool idea. Can you explain what you mean by visualisation? because I think you can train this naturally if you analyse and do tactical problems without moving the pieces.

I would be tempted to put more units into the endgame. Maybe 6 tactics 3 endgame. I am starting to realise how I underestimated the importance of this part of the game, and it is useful in a midgame to see an endgame position you can head for with confidence.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 am
Profile WWW
Rook

jtixs wrote:
Seems like a cool idea. Can you explain what you mean by visualisation? because I think you can train this naturally if you analyse and do tactical problems without moving the pieces.

I would be tempted to put more units into the endgame. Maybe 6 tactics 3 endgame. I am starting to realise how I underestimated the importance of this part of the game, and it is useful in a midgame to see an endgame position you can head for with confidence.

I using the term visualization in the context of knowing which squares make up which diagonal, what color every square is, being able to look at a position and instantly see all the pieces being attacked, having the squares a Knight can move/attack too instantly "pop" out at you. Without looking at a board, take a Knight on a certain square and knowing what squares it needs to land on to get to a certain square. Stuff like that. Too often I find myself not able to "see" the board or a position clearly after moves in my mind's eye.
Right now very, very few of my games are getting into any kind of "endgame". They are quite easily 95%+ being done in the middlegame do to tactics or blunders.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:50 pm
Rook

First time tonight I got a "full" cycle done. I adjusted my visualization to 2 units and tactics less 1 to make the difference. I think this program I got here, http://chesstraining.sourceforge.net/wordpress/, will increase my knowledge of the board and hopefully help improve my calculation ability during a game. Got through going through a loss of mine that Ill post in the games section.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 pm
Rook

Rating: 1500
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Nice I might try that programme, I don't think I have ever properly trained visualisation before but perhaps it is something i'm missing

I actually like the training method given in the first post of that blog. It seems interesting

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4