View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
JWhis (FICS Whis) Game Archive 
Wants a custom title

Rating: 1694
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Post Re: JWhis (FICS Whis) Game Archive
I've decided to address some middlegame problems in my play, and broaden my repertoire to include a more concrete plan against 1. d4 as black. Also, beginning a few small inquiries into responses to 1. c4. My black QP repertoire will also be my white QP repertoire in most cases. Here is a link to my first draft:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... m&hl=en_US

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:43 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating Class: Expert (2000-2200)
Wow, the Botvinnik system! Crazy stuff... I love playing against it as white when I play d4.

The QGD stuff looked really solid too, so that will be a good balance to the Botvinnik. Have you decided what to play against Catalan setups?

Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:48 pm
Wants a custom title

Probably I will try to revert to the Botvinnik setup against the English, with d5, c6, etc, but I haven't looked at that yet. I am just forming a basic outline/structure and will begin investigating games here soon :)

Here's a game from the club last night, where I beat an A player as black :)

I played crazy sharp all night - not entirely accurate, but good enough to score several really astonishing wins. Against an expert at the club (2070), playing the Marshall Attack I won a piece in the following manner, after my opponent miscalculated a variation:

From this position:

I had also considered the line 21. Nxf3 fxg3 22. fxg3 Rxf3 where 23. Qe2 is answered by 23...Bxg3! However, white has the reply 23. Qg2 which leads to equality. I did in fact miss the Qg2 move over the board, but saw the bishop sac line, and had intended to play toward this, but instead white played 21. Bxf4. In the end, unfortunately I lost the game on time having only 1 min 30 left to my opponents eight minutes.

These two games show a fairly accurate representation of the direction my chess is taking, and one can see why I would decide to develop my queen's pawns openings as a result. My play is very sharp, and I need a QP repertoire to address that issue.

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 am
Wants a custom title

Played my first tournament in over a year (!) a 4 round swiss at G/60. It was an unmitigated disaster, and I played some of the worst otb chess in months, went on full tilt midway through game 2 and didn't recover until the middle of my last game. If you've ever read "The Art of Learning", he talks about the downward spiral. Basically I had a complete psychological meltdown, played really bad moves, I hung a piece in 3 consecutive games after pretty much never hanging one in a rated game, apart from a complicated tactic or 2. It was just horrible. The only consolation, was beating my friend and sparring partner (a class D player) in 18 moves in the last game. So my trend continues, of ever since joining the USCF 2 years ago, my rating has decreased with every event I have played in. The number one culprit in my opinion is that I work nights and the only way to play chess is to get up really early (6 am instead of my usual 11 am or noon) and I just feel like a zombie and a different person every time I play a chess tournament, half asleep. I need to get like CT ART or something since I don't have any internet anymore and my chess progress is suffering as a result of the lack of online play and tactics practice. SO, I humbly and embarassingly offer my 4 games from the tournament, against players rated in order: 2001, 2164, 1568 and 1231.

Round 1 Black vs Grant Perks (Columbus OH):

Round 2 White vs Ted Belanoff (California):
In this game I calculated the losing line that was played (Bxf7 etc) rejected it, considered a few other moves, like a4, Rc1 etc, then went back and looked at it again, and completely miscounted the exchanges and played it LOL!! My opponent is on a chess vacation going town to town, seemed like a nice kid.

Round 3 Black vs Patel (West Virginia)
Here I played like an 8 or so year old kid, won a pawn quickly in the opening, and then made some really really bad moves

Round 4 White vs Mike Price (West Virginia)

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:30 am
Wants a custom title

Got the following position from a Najdorf with Bg5, f4, and Qf3 etc. Found the surprising move Bd3! with advantage to white in all lines. It was a pleasant win:

Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:40 am
Wants a custom title

Game in 25/5 from the Club the other night. I've set the Tal book down (after a year!) and reverted back to my Botvinnik's 100 games again and switched to d4 for variety's sake. You can see from the game the months of sharp attacking games, making their presence felt in my handling of a QGD LOL. I got in two games, won from the black side of a Tartakower, basically in a drawn ending, opp tried to win and it backfired, and this game. I was out of book after 6...Nbd7. As a result of this, I have learned that this is the 'Orthodox' defense to the QGD (like basically the main line LOL - goes to show what I know), and reviewed a few hundred games in my DB, basically it appears the main continuations are 7. Qb3 (Rauzer Variation) - I remember some of Botvinnik's notes about this, and subsequent attempts to prevent the Cambridge Springs defense which I sort of understand, Qa5, Ne4 Bb4 etc. 7. Rc1 (Rubenstein Attack) and 7. Bd3 (Botvinnik Variation) My intuition pulls me more towards the Rc1 line and the Bd3 line. The endings that quickly arise just seem more tenable to me for white. Anyway, below is the game I won in the QGD, Orthodox. The annotated version is on my other computer, there were a few interesting alternatives along the way, but all in all, up until the very end with Qf7, it was pretty evenly played by both sides.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 am
Wants a custom title

Played a 4 round G/30 on Sunday. I decided not to play 1. d4, I just don't feel ready yet, so I stuck with my main repertoire. I did, however, include my recent addition of responses to 1. d4 including playing the black side of the QGD (instead of the slav like I used to). I typed up a quick review of my tournament here, having not yet sat down to do concrete analysis yet:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... MDk3&hl=en

Edit: If anyone reads this and cares about ratings, my opponents were in order, 1786 1550, 1731, and 1342

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:32 am
Rook

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
nice games. well played :)

Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:17 am
Wants a custom title

I have internet again after 2 years! I'm BACK!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:15 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: Over 9000
Yeah! Whis is back!
Welcome mate :D

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am
Profile ICQ
Wants a custom title

Played 3 rounds of a 4 round G/60 today. I was super tired toward the end, and they had an odd number after someone left, so I bailed with no regrets. It was a mixed bag, started out with the best result of my life, a draw against a 1920 player, followed that up with botching the opening of a winawer and losing to a 1717. Then played a little kid who was like 923, and won easily. So even score. Lesson to take home was, that my openings were garbage, I did well saving a complete loss against the first guy, and drew a rook ending 3 (!) pawns down after he just got over-confident and blitzed everything. But bottom line, I came out of every game's opening with a disadvantage, and then battened down the hatches and fought for my life. So, I guess more opening study is in order. I am back on chesstempo again for about a week now. 2 years or so ago, when I last had internet, I had stopped there at 2005 rating. Now I am sitting at a pathetic 1750! So my whole chess game is pretty awful right now. BUT! I didn't hang any pieces, made it to some endings and posed problems for my opponents. The reason for the loss in the 2nd game was instructive as well. I tried to tempt my opponent into an unsound exchange sacrifice, which he didn't do, so I mentally 'checked out' the Rf3 idea. Of course a few moves later, things had changed, and it worked this time - but i had just ignored it in my calculations thinking 'oh, I just went over that it doesn't work'. Discipline!

As before, I'll make a pdf pamphlet of the games and analysis (not too much to analyze really, they were pretty boring games)

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:14 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: No rating
Rating Class: Class A (1800-2000)
Congratulations on the draw against the 1920! That's great, man.

Image courtesy of Bradu of the UG!

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm
Wants a custom title

Been busy with other things (fixing my truck and toilet!) and haven't gotten around to properly analyzing my tourney games yet, but here was my miracle save from round 1:

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:39 pm
Wants a custom title

Well a year or two off the internet, and I'm slowly working my way back in to my usual chess tactics training and such.

User: jwhis

Total Solving Time: 99.6 Hours (excluding outliers)

Star Ratings Made:0
Comments Made:215
Tags Added:4

Stats for standard tactics
Rating: 1804.1 (RD: 34.49) (Best Active Rating: 2015 Worst Active Rating: 1582)
Active Rank: 1395/10728 (Better than: 87% Best Active: 260 Worst Active: 2661)
Problems Done: 2951 (Correct: 1934 Failed: 1017)
Percentage correct: 65.54%

If you follow my journal, you'll remember that I peaked out at about 2005 a while back before losing my internet when I had to move etc. I had set myself goals of 100 increments in the 'active rank' category. So instead of trying to worry about the rating number, I try to improve relative to my other competitors, that is, the users of the site. I had eventually reached, as you can see above, an active rank of 260. One thing about using this method, is that the higher your tactics rating gets, the higher up the bell curve you slide, and thus, the more return for the rating point that you get. So, as you progress, although the problems get harder, if you focus and get them right, you get more and more reward for your work, which I really like :), where if you concentrate on your rating number, your return is initially very high, but tails out as you go. So basically once you hit 1900 2000 or whatever, your rating can go up 10 points, and instead of moving like 2 spots up the rankings, because there are so many fewer people the higher you go, you can move up 8 or 10 spots.

As for my chess, I have become pretty good at endings. I spent a lot of time on Dvoretsky's EM, and feel a lot more comfortable in rook endings than I used to. My middlegame planning still leaves a lot to be desired, and my openings are really weak. But the MAIN thing that I need to work on, in my opinion, is that when I am playing an opening that I know, where the opponent plays into lines I've studied, I play very very strong and seldom lose. But when I am out of my element, opening wise, I play significantly weaker, and have a very hard time coming up with reasonable, practicable plans. Not to say I make no plans, just bad (unexecutable) ones, that are often quickly refuted. As such, I am back to hammering the tactics again, although that last tourney, I can't really blame my performance on tactical reasons, with the exception of the first game, I did miss that Qxc7 by white couldn't be played because of Rc8 trapping the queen, either way the position was about =. So just gonna enjoy some tactics for a while and maybe do a bit of opening study, but nothing too serious.

OH, one thing I want to mention about CT for me. This is hard to admit, but I do it for improvement sake. When I am on a strong streak, say 7 or 8 in a row correct, I get scared to continue, because I don't want to miss one. But when I am on a losing streak, say missing 2 or 3 in a row, I will go on a savage attempt to correct myself immediately. I really gotta stop that LOL. I signed out a few minutes early today after breaking 1800 (embarassing, that used to be a real low rating for me) again, but anyway I wanted to listen to the Bills game on the radio :) One thing I like to tell myself on CT, is that you know the win is there, you just have to find it, and not stop until you do. It is easy to get bored or frustrated with a problem and eventually just make one of your candidates cold turkey. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. But theoretically, I should be able to calculate out 95% of these problems, so there isn't really an excuse for missing more than 1 in 10 in my opinion.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 pm
Wants a custom title

Starting to get my tactics mojo back after about 2 weeks. Did pretty good today, at my attempt to maintain 9/10 correctness. I even spent a lot longer on a few problems (10-12 minute range vs 2-5 min) than I usually do, and it payed off. So I gained 174 spots on the ladder today, by going 18/21 on my session today. I might do some more later. I think I'll try to do 10 problem chunks, that way I can see my % correct a little easier, even though it does tell you right at the top of the screen LOL. I've broken 100 hours of tactics training lifetime. Wow, what else could I have done with those 100 hours! Still, that means 9,900 hours more of deliberate practice, and I'll be a veritable grandmaster of chesstempo, right Malcolm Pein??? Looking forward to working my way back in to the top 1000, then top 900 etc, and back to the top 200 where I belong!!!

User: jwhis

Total Solving Time: 100.7 Hours (excluding outliers)

Star Ratings Made:0
Comments Made:217
Tags Added:4

Stats for standard tactics
Rating: 1826.7 (RD: 34.48) (Best Active Rating: 2015 Worst Active Rating: 1582)
Active Rank: 1221/10702 (Better than: 88.6% Best Active: 260 Worst Active: 2661)
Problems Done: 2972 (Correct: 1952 Failed: 1020)
Percentage correct: 65.68%

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next