View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
sqmorr - GM Alexandre Fier v FM Graham Morrison [33:45] 
Video Manager

Post sqmorr - GM Alexandre Fier v FM Graham Morrison [33:45]
Poster: sqmorr
Name: FIDE Master Graham Morrison
Federation: SCO
Videos Made: 5
FIDE Rating: 2348
World Rank: 4725
Login or register to rate this video...
Average Rating: 4.89 (9)

Video Tags: Sicilian Scheveningen

Video Download: Login or register to download this video for your iPhone/iPod Touch

Like (Login Required)
Liked By: talvstal

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 pm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 1600
Rating Class: Class C (1400-1600)
Post Re: sqmorr - GM Alexandre Fier v FM Graham Morrison [33:45]
Thanks for the video! I'm glad to see that even Masters make the same mistakes I do sometimes. :-P (Playing too fast especially) I'm also happy to see you put up a loss, shows humility which is always good.

If you want to play more online stuff we have a "club" on chess.com you're more than welcome to join! :-P It's correspondence so you'll have all the time you want/need. :-)

"... the French wages outright warfare over the entire board, calls for stronger nerves, and demands a soul that finds joy whenever the lust for battle is stoked. In other words, Watson is right: it’s a damn good opening!" - Jeremy Silman

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:11 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

Rating: 2361F
Rating Class: FIDE Master
Thanks for the info. I'll check Chess.com out!

Cheers,
Graham

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
King

Rating Class: Grandmaster
when i was watching the game i was under the impression that it was real 2 hours plus time control because the level of your play specially against a GM was very sharp and well thought out in a complicated game , but later in the videos you revealed that it was a 25 minutes game!!idea: , so you plyed a remarkable game and am pretty sure given a real time control that you would have found his Bg1 from the sound of your solid thought processes.
these rapid games one could not be really blamed for trying to save time & play faster just in case it drags on another 70 moves !! :?:

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

minkrat wrote:
when i was watching the game i was under the impression that it was real 2 hours plus time control because the level of your play specially against a GM was very sharp and well thought out in a complicated game , but later in the videos you revealed that it was a 25 minutes game!!idea: , so you plyed a remarkable game and am pretty sure given a real time control that you would have found his Bg1 from the sound of your solid thought processes.
these rapid games one could not be really blamed for trying to save time & play faster just in case it drags on another 70 moves !! :?:

Good points minkrat. However, I think that my inexperience with 25 min chess showed in that I didn't quite get the balance right on when to follow "gut-feel" versus when to hunker-down and figure it all out.

Still, it was an interesting game!

Cheers,
Graham

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:17 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rook

Rating: 1700
Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Your analyzis and games r the best I have ever seen anywhere.(on chessvideos.tv)

You r so down to earth and I really feel you r a great chessplayer with a great understanding of the game.

Maybe it.s because u disregard a lot of (excuse my langugae) horseshit, that a lot of players post, when i follow your games I really feel how u was thinking, and a lot of other plyers (most of them) try to cover everything sorounding their game trying to prove that there was nothing badgoing on in their game , they try to cover every side variation. that makes the game very boring to atch...and I feel that the proof-value realy is lacking there...so I really enjoy and value your approach.

Best wishes Gunnar 34 male sweden.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:57 pm
King

Rating: 1395
:D :cheers: :salut: :bball: Great stuff despite your loss. That R sac! You sounded so calm playing it. I really enjoyed this one and bad luck on the result. But in that sort of position defensive moves are usually the hardest to see. As they say about sicilian players tho LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD! Such positions are nevever boring. More please!!

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
King

Rating: 2202
Rating Class: National Master
Superb video and very, very nice of you to share your TNs! How did you find those btw, did you use a computer or just set the position up on the board and look at a few lines? Or more in general, if you don't mind me asking: you seem to be a very analytical player: do you analyse every game and either with immediate computer support or alone at first? How much time do you spend on it?

Dutch elo: 2202
FIDE: 2233

Last edited by RAU4ever on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 am
Premium Member
Premium Member

RAU4ever wrote:
Superb video and very, very nice of you to share your TMs! How did you find those btw, did you use a computer or just set the position up on the board and look at a few lines? Or more in general, if you don't mind me asking: you seem to be a very analytical player: do you analyse every game and either with immediate computer support or alone at first? How much time do you spend on it?

Good questions RAU4ever.

I wish I had a recipe for finding TNs but I don't. I do like to analyse my games in great depth afterwards, both to see what types of mistakes I'm making, and also to further develop and deepen my opening repertoire.

As I'm sure you'll hear from most Masters, it is important to not just rely on the dreaded computers for this analysis, you need to also develop your human analytical abilities (after all that's what you spend a lot of your time doing when you are playing a game) as well as your judgement/intuition. Hence my first pass at analysing a game is usually to put in the game and the variations (in ChessBase) that I had seen at the board, find what the closest database games are (ie, who diverged from 'theory' first), and try to find the big mistakes and key variations by "carbon/brain power".

Having taken this initial view I then usually switch on one of the engines (I tend to trust Rybka most) and go over the game in 'Advanced Chess' mode, ie, I'm relying on the engine to find tactical shots, but directing the main lines of analysis myself based on what looks good to me - that way you get the best of both worlds: the tactical super GM capabilities of the computer + the expert judgement that a Master has built up over decades.

Anyway, seems to work quite well for me!

Cheers,
Graham

Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pawn

Rating Class: Class B (1600-1800)
Interesting, surprised to watch a game by Fier here, he lives in Georgia now, he's the strongest and very active Brazilian player.
Playing fast it's in his mood, he's so hyperactive, always doing several things at the same time....

cheers from Brazil...
:)

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]